PDA

View Full Version : suggestions appretiated

funkyfoe
02-22-2002, 12:06 PM
yo folks!
I were just wondering if you folks could give me some advise about how to texture this character? what`s you favourite method of texturing complex characters? bcause i`m in a bit of trouble here.

1- make a bunch of different surfaces where polys are facing same way, for projection mapping?
2-make one big uv map(will need a hell of alot tweaking i figure)?
3-other(suggestions)+

http://the3d.ws/artists/funkyfoe/beast6.jpg

(his arms are down in default position)

Cman
02-23-2002, 11:23 PM
My novice suggestion would be to break your character down into areas - name those surfaces individually - and make UV maps for each one.
Maybe, since your guy is nude, do one giant UV for everything for a basic skin surface, then separate areas each get it's own detail UV surface to tweak each area (ie: forehead, tounge, shoulder, Shoulder, LForearm, RForearem, LBicep, Bicep,...)

Then do separate surfaces for each UV for color,bump,specular,...

That's just an idea though.

cerreto
02-25-2002, 11:14 AM
depends on how your going to texture deep paint ps etc id say turn the hands and go for a planar map maybe and just make a seperate mapp for the the head but im not great at texturing so just an opinion

funkyfoe
02-25-2002, 12:06 PM
thanks for the reply

well i have deeppaint but i think i prefer regular surfacing since i have to freeze the object in order to paint it in subdiv mode,and handling a freezed guy like this(about 150 000 polys) is pretty hard on my pc.

I`m thinking of going for the different surfaces with different uvmaps method. but there`s one thing i still dont get-how do you make a nice transition from one map to another? like under arm map vs overarm map????????

ps: i`ve never seen any tuts regarding texturing an entire character, there`s only about 3000 head tuts out there :(

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.