PDA

View Full Version : Lip Sync

giloosh
08-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Ive been posting progress of this guy since i started modeling him like a month ago... i think hes finally complete...
i Rigged and skinned the face, rather than using morph targets to give me more control. It was a lot more work, but i saw someone else do this so i wanted to give it a shot.
What do you guys think?

DOWNLOAD 1 MB QUICKTIME MOVIE (http://www.giloosh.com/vid/secret.mov)

http://www.giloosh.com/3d/head-wip/head-smile.jpg

rblitz7
08-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Nice job! You should model and animate a body.

ChrisSosa
08-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Great lip sync. But I do have one thing to say. Even though your doing a lip sync of one model, try to give him a focus point to look at. He looks like a blind man talking.

Capn_Camo
08-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Gday dude,

A pretty decent attempt at lip syncing. My only suggestion is that you move your animation keys one or two frames to the left, so that he moves his lips just slightly before he talks. In animation this gives a slightly more realistic look to the syncronisation.

Top notch :buttrock:

ankheilw
08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Giloosh,

This looks like a pretty good start. I think the main thing that seems to throw off the character of the animation is the predominance of the upper teeth. I think people that have this characteristic have particular speech patterns, ones that are a bit different than the sound of the VO. Try showing more of the lower teeth.

Also, it looks like, on a few of the words you are accentuating the second sylable. At one point, he says "Every", and you hit the V strong, but the E is left out. Try accenuating the E and then contracting to an F shape as he hits the quick V. This can be applied to a few more places in the animation such as "give" and "let"

The final element is mouth rounds and parses. It seems like, with the exception of a few places, the mouth is spread out fully in the horizontal. I might try to mix that up a bit with injection of some O and W shapes. This may not be necessary if you pull the top teeth back, but it might be a nice touch if you are looking for that something extra.

Mind you, these are all extreme nitpicks. I think your animation stands fine on its own. These are just some ideas that you can play with if you want.

Great job and good luck.

P.S. I agree with Capn_Camo. I would move the animation 2 frames earlier to match his projection of sound better.

giloosh
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys! I know, i got stuck in this problem of not wanting to moves the lips too much, i was afraid it would look too cartoon, but now it looks too stiff which alot of people are saying.
I updated the link with some changes.
I moved the the lips back a few frames at certain phrases where i also saw it was ahead, and it looks much more synced.
I also switched the brows where it winks. Instead of the winking eyebrow raising, i made the oppiste eyebrow raise, cause i realized it wasnt natural before.
im going to put this on my demoreel as it is, and probally get back to it later. or just make a new lipsync completely.
Thanks for the help!

jd_ambriez
09-26-2005, 02:38 AM
I think it looks great man. I kind of agree on the subject of the upper teeth being to much, but it really is'ent a big deal, it looks great, good modeling job too. Im interested in the way you rigged the face. I've seen one other animation done like that, witch was Craine Toad. Can you show us your rig setup? Awsome work :applause:

giloosh
09-26-2005, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback. check out this thread.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showth (showthread.php?t=170634)read.php?t=170634 (showthread.php?t=170634)

this is where i learned to set up the face rig.
you have to disect the rig by all of its peices and see for yourself how it was done. once you figure it out you will see how simple it is. good luck!

jd_ambriez
09-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Link don't work, but thanks for trying :)

suzana_kilic
09-30-2005, 03:42 AM
This is good work.
Keep it up.
Best luck.

Noggy
09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Great job my only crit is the eyes. If you had the eyes looking at the camera then it would like he's talking to us. I dont like how he is looking off the camera...besides that Nicely done!

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.