PDA

View Full Version : video production structure

sijoe
08-19-2005, 08:00 PM
we have our own video production in yogyakarta, we've been producting some documenter and live music production (using giant screen by the venue). we always had a problem when we work in big scale with many people, we always work not in the right position, one person always work in two or three position (director work as cammeraman to) so we cannot work optimally. we need to learn how to work in profesional video production, and we need any reference for video production structure (for big and litle scale). thanks

Matty2Phatty
08-20-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure if i understand your question, but i think you're asking about chain of command and heirachy.

In the film business, you have the Executive Producer, which is in charge of raising the money for your project, via personal investors, studios, distribution deals, co-production deals, whatever.

Then, you have the plain old Producer, who is the man in charge of everything. The guy who makes sure everything happens. This is the toughest job in my opinion, and i hate doing it.

Anyhow, the Producer usually hires a Production Manager, who gets the budget organised, and sorts out all the legal issues (getting the rights to locations, getting council approvals, getting certification etc...)

Then you have the director. All creative questions come back to this guy. He picks the camera angles, the way the dialogue should be spoken, he has the final say on costume design and set design too...

Now, it sounds like your productions are pretty small, or you have limited crew, but on bigger productions, the director has three people working under him, Director of Photography, Sound Designer and Production Designer. They all report back to the director.

The DP is in charge of lighting and picking film stock, etc, and hires all the staff working under him (within whatever budget was given to him from the Producers) and also all the equipment he needs to achieve the directors look. (Sometimes the director will want a style better achieved with 35mm, sometimes it's better achieved in digital, for example)

Working under the DP is the Camera Operator, which is self explanatory, and then the Camera Assistant, who looks after the equipment (cleaning it etc). There's also the focus puller, who is in charge of focussing the camera during the shoot (the Camera operator doesn't do this, unless it's digital and he can reach it)

The Video Split Operator is in charge of making sure the footage is feeding to the monitors so the director and producers can see what's being shot.

The Gaffer is the guy who moves the lights around according to what the DP tells him to do.

The Best Boy works with the Gaffer, and is in charge of making sure all the power cables are out of the way.

Then you've got the Sound Designer, who has two people under him. The Recordist, who actually syncs the DAT tapes and sets it to record on the cue of the director ("roll sound...") and then the Boom Operator, who actually holds the mics close to the actors saying their dialogue.

Then there's the Production Designer, who is in charge of set design, costume design, etc. He has the Set Decorator, Set Dresser, Props Buyer, Armouror, Greensman, Construction Manager, Capenters, and Painters working under him.

There's a lot more to it, but that's basically it. On a big production you'd have about 20 - 30 people on the set, not including your actors.

Sorry if i haven't made sense, but it's hard getting all that information out briefly.

SOE digital
08-23-2005, 08:06 AM
In other words you're having trouble organising the shoot event?
Constant production meets with all the crew are crucial...it seams to me that some of your crew don't know what they're 'spose to be doing.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2005, 08:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.