PDA

View Full Version : Confidential!

Animascript
08-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Hello,

My name is Sebastien. I am a new member to this forum. I am looking for a serious CG company or CG director with award winning credits to look at a screenplay intended to an animated feature film.

If you live in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island, please let me me know and I will be in contact with you shortly.

Thank you,

Sebastien

ralia
08-20-2005, 02:23 AM
am looking for a serious CG company or CG director with award winning credits to look at a screenplay intended to an animated feature film.

Most award winning directors are looking for award winning script writers. goodluck to ya!

forsakenproductions
08-20-2005, 06:08 AM
unfortunately that is the case. I had an idea for an advertisement, but so far no ones listened to me . . . but good luck anyways, and don't give up, someone will listen to you eventually.:)

Matty2Phatty
08-20-2005, 03:46 PM
The problem is not convincing people you have a good idea.

The problem is convincing people you're worth leaving the production companies they already use.

FabioMSilva
08-21-2005, 01:12 AM
i just dont understand why does it have to be an "award winning" director. Do u consider other directors not good enough for you? That's pretty rude if u ask me.

Animascript
08-21-2005, 02:08 AM
i just dont understand why does it have to be an "award winning" director. Do u consider other directors not good enough for you? That's pretty rude if u ask me.
The Solid Snake, I am sure any other directors would do a great job but what I meant was to create a project with a solid background. As I don't have any, my bet would be to use the notoriety of a director who already had some awards to convince a producer such as Dreamworks. If I have to be an award winning writer to contact an award winning director, then, yes, my task is useless.

Let's start again! We all know that no production companies have purchased screenplays in the past. So, what would you advise me to do if even getting an agent in that case is also useless?
The agent would never sell a spec screenplay for a feature film. The best way for me to sell it would actually to convince a CG company to do it. Once I managed to convince the boss, we could then tackle the funding part. Do you follow me?

Thanks,

Matty2Phatty
08-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Probably just a safety measure to ensure he's not giving away he's story to a nobody.

FabioMSilva
08-21-2005, 02:05 PM
first things 1st

http://www.copyright.gov/

then go look for someone to show it , and sell it.

ZaKKoS
08-21-2005, 02:57 PM
if you're afraid that someone can steal your story send it via snail mail to yourself. I don't know which type of delivery are used in your country but chose one that have something that report send date and such things. Don't open it until you have to defend your rights. Done that you can submit it to director, voice talent, production houses etc.
Don't think someone will propose to you as long as you have no credit (i.e. "you are no one" - i heard this a lot of times, on myself and on others) you have to do the hard work, search and submit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
A shortcut can be to actually know someone that knows someone.
Another one: submit your script to a voice talent (famous actors also) or a director expressing that you wrote it with him/her in your mind, the script was written only for HIM/HER!

are this shortcut actually working? No in 95% (or more) of the times, but you still have this 5% (or less). Is this worthy? definitely yes.

Animascript
08-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

I must write chinese because I never mentionned copyright in my email. My script is copyrighted and registered. I am not worried about someone stealing my story. I just want to either sell it or develop it with a CG studio. I am in the process of submitting my script to some CG studios and if you would recommend studios with one famous feature film under their belt (i.e: DNA Productions), then I could use it to speak to the director. If you know the contact name, this would be even greater. Obviously, I am more looking for a company based in the US or West Coast Canada.

Finding an agent for my script (3D animation like Bugs Life) is really difficult as even if the story is good the agents can't really sell the script to studios such as Dreamworks. And even if Dreamworks was interested in my story, they might want to buy the rights and my name would never show anywhere.

So, I would prefer to be invested in the project and develop it with the help of a good CG company who is not afraid of investing time and money into a long animated feature film. As always, the hardest part is to get the funds and this is where the Producers would come along. Any good producer would want to know who I am and who is the CG company, which is normal. Anyone needs to know if it is worth investing money into this kind of project.

That's it.

Thank you, hoping I made myself clearer this time.

Sebastien

sergioKomic
08-22-2005, 11:50 AM
There is no way you can find an award winning Director, animators in order to become respected (and latter on award winning yourself) .......

You need to work hard in the industry and then sell your script.....

Your way is close to cheating your way in....

You dont become an award winning script writer without working your @$$ of.

Get a job in the industry handle smaller tasks and when you are ready the directors will come to you!

Matty2Phatty
08-22-2005, 12:32 PM
As much as it sucks, sergio is absolutely right. Just know that there are at least 50 000 scripts out there as good as yours, and their writers all want to get them made. There's a particular way these things get done, and you just gotta accept that.

Not saying it's impossible though, if you do ever just happen to meet an award winning director, just be sure to tell him you have a potentially award winning script.

Also, keep in mind that the writers usually get paid their $300k - $600k and are no longer part of the production. Their job is over, and they don't get a percentage of profits, or creative control. Those kind of things can only be bargained for when you're already huge.

sergioKomic
08-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Also, keep in mind that the writers usually get paid their $300k - $600k and are no longer part of the production. Their job is over, and they don't get a percentage of profits, or creative control. Those kind of things can only be bargained for when you're already huge.

If they screwed Quentin Tarantino on Natural born killers, imagine what could/would/will happen to any of us...

FabioMSilva
08-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Also, keep in mind that the writers usually get paid their $300k - $600k and are no longer part of the production. Their job is over,

that's the reason i'm aiming to become a film director professionaly

erm, excluding the part that i love everystep in filmmaking...^^;

Animascript
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, thank you for your concern. I don't trust this route... I trust my own feelings and even if it will take me longer, I will do it my way. Sorry guys to disappoint you, but I will be using all the resources I've got. So many times, I have listened to this kind of responses and life is too short to just follow the crowd. I am sure you are right, in general but I just don't buy it.

Also, just for your own information, I don't know where you found out that a spec script can be sold for $300K or more for a first time writer. I was more thinking of $75.000 like I read it before. The WGA also gives you some details about this too.

FabioMSilva
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
no one is telling u to give up on your objective(yeah, it's not a dream cuz u wanna- AND WILL make it real), well at least not me(since i have really similar to yours - Objective not dream).

we're just trying to figure out the best way for u to achieve it.

if u dont trust this way of doing things, do like me, take the long rout(and the most unsafe), become the film director. it is the only way to get things the way u want.

Grgeon
08-22-2005, 08:13 PM
i'll have to agree with snake here.

My suggestion would be to do a short film based on your script... sorta like a taste of what your feature length film would be.

Just look at Shane Acker or Robert Rodriguez. Directing might not be what you want to do, but it could help in getting you ahead. Like songwriters, a lot of them have to sing their own songs before they get someone to sing their stuff.

Or don't listen to any advice and show us all wrong :) I don't mind being wrong sometimes :)

hope it turns out well for you.

George

Matty2Phatty
08-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I don't know where you found out that a spec script can be sold for $300K or more for a first time writer. I was more thinking of $75.000 like I read it before.

Sorry man, i didn't mean to come across like i was saying you could do this first go... i was trying to say that with hollywood films, the writers get paid their $300k (usually, not always) and then they don't get to participate further. There are exceptions to this, but they're not common.

Like the others have said, if you feel you can do it your own way, i say go for it. When you're on the podium at the oscars i can point to you and tell my friends i once tried to tell you that it can't be done that way.

Animascript
08-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks George and Matty,

I would love to direct my own movie but we are talking about CG animation here and I don't have the knowledge or the patience to takle this at this time. I would trust someone to do it but like most people, I don't have the funds for it. I can just use somebody's else money to come up with something short. Or maybe, someone on this forum can create a short animation for me for free. I already have the ownership of the drawing for the main character.

Thanks,

Sebastien

Jeepy
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Bonjour Sébastien,

before trying to meet an award wining cie or director I was wondering if you had any visual material to show them. A storyborad, a 30 sec demo, drawings or anything? This for sure will help you. My suggestion, do a preview of your movie. That's the best way and best option. For sure you will need to invest in the 30 sec. preview but hey it's worth it.

Then, you try to meet up with a CG cie to do your pitch with all the needed material. There's plenty of good animation studios, award wining or not, just look around, watch movies and note which companies worked on it.

Cheers!

Animascript
08-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Bonjour JP. No, I don't have a demo to show as I am mainly a screenwriter. However, as I said, I do have a drawing to show (1 drawing, not a few!). Why would I want to invest my time and money into a short animation of my story if this is intended for a feature film? I have heard it would influence the CG studios that like to come up with their own design or ideas. Why not simply convince the CG studios that I have a good script, some potential people, ready to invest big bucks in the movie and let them deal with the rest of the project?

Matty2Phatty
08-23-2005, 06:27 AM
If i'm understanding correctly, you're saying you have lots of money to fund this? If that's the case, you'll have no trouble at all getting places to do your project. There's no risk if they're not the one footing the bill.

FabioMSilva
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks George and Matty,

i feel excluded:shrug:

Matty2Phatty
08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
But i still love ya

sergioKomic
08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Well, thank you for your concern. I don't trust this route... I trust my own feelings and even if it will take me longer, I will do it my way. Sorry guys to disappoint you, but I will be using all the resources I've got. So many times, I have listened to this kind of responses and life is too short to just follow the crowd. I am sure you are right, in general but I just don't buy it.

I gotta respect your b@l$ man!

FabioMSilva
08-23-2005, 05:52 PM
But i still love ya

who? me? thanx:D

tought i'm not into the bearded men scene:p

DreamingInDigital
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
@all in this thread---hi guys........i've been watching this thread since it was started....and quite honestly this thread kinda reminds me of the VICEROY thread. If any of u have read it u'll know what i mean. anyway apperantly this guy doesn't really care about the help that you, THE PRO's, are giving him.

@animascript---anyway, you HAVE to be able to present your idea visually or else ppl are just gonna think ur a load of lying crap. quit being stupid and listen to the great advice that ppl are giving you. and anyway ur whole thing with award winning this and award winning that.....that is just rude and plain stupid. Anybody can be as good as an award winner. you dont have to have an award to show that ur good. and why do u think that an "award winning" producer is even gonna consider your script? why is ur script better than others? y is it better than those written by the pro's? another thing that bothers me, how long is your script? is it even of professional quality? here is a tipp from me...why don't you let others read end evaluate it and see if it is so great? you seem to be baosting quite highly of your so "amazing" script that you "NEED" and "award winning" producer. also, y don't you give us a plot summary of the story? maybe we can halp you a little bit at maybe recommending a producer that may be interested or is yearning to do the kind of work that you have for him. for one, you seem to really think that you have a great script. i really would like to read it to see if it is as good as you say. i do not doubt your, or anyones writing ability, but you truly have to be great to write great scripts. so are we all gonna get to read this script of urs?

it maybe harsh or mean what i wrote and may piss some ppl off, but u know what, honestly i don't care cause it is just my opinion. and everyone is entitled to one.

thats my $0.02. well it may be more but who cares.....

DreamingInDigital
08-24-2005, 01:45 AM
AnimascriptWhy would I want to invest my time and money into a short animation of my story well.......if you don't think it is worth your time or money then why would it be worth someone elses time or money?

Animascript
08-24-2005, 02:54 AM
@all in this thread---hi guys........i've been watching this thread since it was started....and quite honestly this thread kinda reminds me of the VICEROY thread. If any of u have read it u'll know what i mean. anyway apperantly this guy doesn't really care about the help that you, THE PRO's, are giving him.

DreamingInDigital? I had to grab your quote in a full length as I have to comment your misbehaviour. First of all, if you've been watching this thread since the very beginning, you would have noticed that I explained why producers would not consider writers for animation if they did not have the cash to present and / or the help of an award winning director, your script does not get read by the pros. So, with all due respect, your psychological analysis of my lines are laying at the base, plus your concentration span can be revised. Maybe you work too hard as a student and got too tired at the end of the last semester? Also, the advice I got was to either do a short animation movie to present or work in an office, starting at the bottom to finally get my script sold. Well, yes. They are advices and they have their value. I respect them. I just don't want to follow this path... The Solid Snake understood my position since he wants to do it his way too. Yes, it is the longer path, probably but it's our way. That's my choice. Not yours. Maybe, as stubborn as I am, I might fail, but I might succeed. I have more than one resource in my pocket and I hope to use them all. That's also up to me, right?

@animascript---anyway, you HAVE to be able to present your idea visually or else ppl are just gonna think ur a load of lying crap.

So, to you, if I don't bring a visual, people are going to think I am a load of lying crap! That's interesting, Kris. You mean on this forum or in general? Because I do have a material to show. Oh yes. And quite frankly, I don't feel I should present it to you as your criticism might not be the best I could expect. Few HW agents and other screenwriters have my script between their hands and not one of them said it was bad.

Quit being stupid and listen to the great advice that ppl are giving you. and anyway ur whole thing with award winning this and award winning that.....that is just rude and plain stupid. Anybody can be as good as an award winner. you dont have to have an award to show that ur good. and why do u think that an "award winning" producer is even gonna consider your script?

Once again, I have answered to this in the same thread. It's not my fault if you have diffuclties to read. Give me one example of a spec screenplay intended for a feature movie has been sold based on a pitch, knowing that the person was a nobody. I don't have to apologise for this. It's just true. I never said someone else could not do a better job. I am sure they can without being an award winning director or animator. I was just saying that I would gain on visibility and go quicker this way. Some call it cheating, some call it networking... So, I don't know what's stupid about that, apart from your boring and repetitive comment.

why is ur script better than others? y is it better than those written by the pro's?
Excuse me? :eek: Who said that my script was better than others? I never said this! I dare you making allusions like this like if I wrote it previously. You are a sneaky liar!

another thing that bothers me, how long is your script?
95 pages. So? What's relevant to you, anyway? Wanna give me some advice there, too?

is it even of professional quality? here is a tipp from me...why don't you let others read end evaluate it and see if it is so great? you seem to be baosting quite highly of your so "amazing" script that you "NEED" and "award winning" producer. also, y don't you give us a plot summary of the story?
You must carry the dreaming bug in you with your nickname! I AM NOT DREAMING ANYMORE, I AM HALLUCINATING!!! WHAT? "Amazing" script? Where does it come from? I beg your pardon... Look at him! And curious with that! Is it of professional quality? I never said my script was amazing or of professional quality. I would just hope it is since I had 3 agents coming back to me with some suggestions to make it better. OF course, there is always room for improvement but I have some kind of experience in journalism and I am not a student anymore either.

maybe we can halp you a little bit at maybe recommending a producer that may be interested or is yearning to do the kind of work that you have for him. :applause: HA HA HA. I just need to laugh at this. Please someone tells me the recommendation WOULD NOT come from him!!!

for one, you seem to really think that you have a great script. i really would like to read it to see if it is as good as you say. i do not doubt your, or anyones writing ability, but you truly have to be great to write great scripts. so are we all gonna get to read this script of urs?
How many times do you have to write this? 3 times so far? You must have been affected by this, it looks like it. Something you've been dreaming of?

it maybe harsh or mean what i wrote and may piss some ppl off, but u know what, honestly i don't care cause it is just my opinion. and everyone is entitled to one. Well, it definitely PISSED ME OFF as I have been treated of an idiot, a liar and so on by you! You little punk! But hey, it's just my opinion, too!!! Everyone is entitled to one as long as it does not affect someone's reputation or credibility on this forum. You surely broke these rules and if I could make you to, I would ask you to repare the damage you caused on this forum by apologising to me. That's at least what you could do after being such an impertinent little insolent.

thats my $0.02. well it may be more but who cares.....
Actually, based on your observation, this is the line that expresses most your whole comment.

In the overall, I don't want the rest of the directors, animators or screenwriters think that I am rude or refusing any help. I am just trying to defend myself when someone like Kris tries to insult me like this and I just hope everybody would react the same way.

stepington
08-24-2005, 03:21 AM
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8337/38040328homealone7nn.jpg

Aye Carumba!

ZaKKoS
08-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Ah, flames!:twisted:

well not everything dreamingindigital said was wrong but dream you really have to change the way you propose yourself.

I think that having a short visual representation of the work is a good idea (normally this is the way) but as you stated you want to do it your own way and this thread is gone far beyond the initial request. producers would not consider writers for animation if they did not have the cash to present
BTW producers ARE the ones who put the money (well not always directly but you don't need to have the money)

anyway also you, animascript, were harsh toward us when we tried to give you advices

So now please stop being rude on eachother. Hope this doesn't happen again.

p.s. carumba?:surprised

Animascript
08-24-2005, 04:12 AM
Hello and thank you for being so wise. Yes, I might have sounded harsh in my response to your advice and I do apologise to this. I just think that the best bet to convince a producer to read your script to be recommended by someone. Networking is my favorite word. Creating a demo of an animated movie as being a screenwriter, I don't know where I need to stand anymore. Somewhat, I believe I can still use the resources I have to make more connections and reach potential buyers or simply persist and end up making my own movie. However, I had one doubt. Who would I present my demo to? A producer or the director of the CG studios? Why would the director of the CG Studios be interested in a short animated movie of my script when he knows I am not an animator myself? He would still have to convince the producer to invest in the project afterwards, doesn't he? Surely, he can just be interested by my logline and read the script afterwards.

I also agree with you, Kris was right on one thing: His comment was worth $0.02. Everything he said was blattering on a misunderstanding that has been explained in this thread. Being treated of an idiot and a liar does not go through with me, especially from a stranger who does not know anything about me.

I, however, accept valuable criticism.

Thank you.

Matty2Phatty
08-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Give me one example of a spec screenplay intended for a feature movie has been sold based on a pitch, knowing that the person was a nobody.

James Wan and Leigh Wannell wrote a horror film script a couple years back as a vehicle for Leigh Wannell to begin an acting career, and James Wan (his good friend from film school) wanted to direct. They approached the Australian Film Commision for $1m in funding, but they were denied, as it was too risky, and didn't represent Australian culture.

So, they got a dv camera and shot one of the scenes from their script themselves, and flew over to hollywood to meet with producers over there. Eventually one of them saw the clip they'd shot and saw the potential in it, and provided the $1m they needed.

The film was 'Saw' and it earned back $70m and warranted a sequel.

I just think that the best bet to convince a producer to read your script to be recommended by someone. Networking is my favorite word.

I absolutely agree that it's not what you know but who you know. I thought i posted on this thread but i must have posted somewhere else that the BEST method by FAR is to get a literary agent and have them do the pitching. Problem is, the most trusted literary agents only take clients who've had a referral from existing clients. So, you need to start networking and schmoozing.

Personally, i think you've been acting a bit like an ass and i wouldn't recommend you, but if you know the right people, you could definitely make it. I wish you luck.

sergioKomic
08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Matty2Phatty , HAH he he he......

I absolutly agree with you ......

FabioMSilva
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM

i've been thinking the same for some time too.

ViceRoy2 -The Sequel?:shrug:

anyway this is gettin' pretty heated down here:buttrock: mods!

SamChen
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
<mod intervention>
Hey everybody.. please cool it! I don't wanna see members calling each other "stupid," "punk," "ass." No need for that.

DreamingInDigital... you are indeed entitled to your opinions but we have etiquettes on CGTalk that keep things sane and respectful... even if you're provoked.

And Animascript, please don't fuel the fire and stay on topic.

Thanks everyone!

Matty2Phatty
08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
The 'Viceroy' thread sounds like an interesting read... anyone know where i can find it?

ZaKKoS
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM
is it this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=9137) thread you're referring to?

FabioMSilva
08-24-2005, 05:04 PM
is it this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=9137) thread you're referring to?

yep , thats the one. Cgtalk's most precious thread...at least in a comical sense of way

DreamingInDigital
08-24-2005, 05:21 PM
yep , thats the one. Cgtalk's most precious thread...at least in a comical sense of way

this is truly the greatest read i have ever had. I almost died from laughter. I would call this Viceroy2. Although i did appologize to animascript in a different thread called My Appologies To...

but back to the viceroy...does anyone know if it was on older member just playing a joke? if it was a joke? or if it was serious? it really does interest me.

BTW what is Xdugef? lol

stepington
08-24-2005, 05:49 PM
p.s. carumba?:surprised

:blush:". . . . . . . . "

DreamingInDigital
08-24-2005, 06:39 PM
hello Animascript, I have found something that may help on your endeavor. Follow this link...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=244104

i don't know if this will help but it may. I guess you could contact the guys from Broken and maybe network through them. Also some useful info is in the thread also.

And also I have Appologized in front of the forum.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=270295

I hope you accept my appology to some extent.

Hope it helps more than the post before.

~ Kris ~

ZaKKoS
08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
BTW what is Xdugef? lol

Last time i checked it was an ancient shaolin way of modeling with a single edgeloop in the entire model. Now i don't know maybe it has been updated.

steph my surprise at your "carumba" is because as i'm latin (not spanish...latin as language root) i read your word as "caroomba" and knowing the right form (carramba/caramba i don't know) i was surprised :p and a little puzzled. I made a search and i saw many "carumba" things on the internet...misunderstandings rules the world :D

well we are pretty OT now:thumbsup: but i like cultural differences and misconceptions...maybe we'll start another thread on that.

DreamingInDigital
08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :applause::applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I updated my modeler yesterday to the Xdugef Toy Story. I push one button and it created the characters from Toy Story....LOL Buzz has a little texture distortion and some triangles where there should be quads......LOL..............ah great laughs and great memories.......I LOVE THIS PLACE

Animascript
08-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Hello to everybody,

Thank you for your past and present help. I never meant to be rude to any of you and if it sounded this way, please accept my apologise. I actually responded to Kris on this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=270295

A friend of mine, working for a CG Studio in Montreal is probably going to help me with the main character of my story in order to create a short animation, after all.

To MAtthy: When I wrote - Give me an example of a spec script that sold, actually, I meant Animation specs. None of them sold on a spec.

However, I will review the links you posted, thanking you all for this.

Sebastien

fwtep
08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
To MAtthy: When I wrote - Give me an example of a spec script that sold, actually, I meant Animation specs. None of them sold on a spec.Do you know this? Are you aware of all of the CG films in production right now? There are literally dozens, and at studios all over the world. If all you're talking about are the ones that have been released (Pixar, Blue Sky, Dreamworks, etc.) then you're probably right that none have been sold as spec scripts by unproduced writers. But that's just a tiny fraction of the market. Besides, I know that several that are in production now ARE by previously unproduced writers.

And anyway, the industry is new, so who cares if it hasn't happened yet (even though it has)? Aside from Pixar, the 3D CG film industry is hardly more than 5 years old. It's a little too early to think that everything's written in stone.

As for doing a short first, there are several films that began as shorts and are now in production because of the publicity generated by the shorts. Someone in this thread already mentioned the most recent, the one Shane Acker is now directing for Tim Burton. Another example is Jimmy Neutron. It's funny you forgot about that since you mentioned DNA earlier (if I recall).

Lastly, you mentioned that a few real agents have read your script and none of them said it was bad. Well, I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but they *won't* say that even if that's what they think. I'm NOT saying I think your script is bad, please don't infer that, I'm just saying that when an agent (or anyone else in the industry) passes on something they'll just say something like "it's good but it's not what we're looking for" or "we like it but we don't think we're able to do anything with it at the moment."

Please don't take offense at the following bit. I've only read your posts here, not your screenplay, so I have no way of knowing if this is an issue or not. I'm merely trying to be helpful just in case:

I hope your script is better grammatically than the way you're writing here on the forum. I sometimes have to read your sentences twice to make sense of them (for example, see your last post). Hollywood is VERY picky about grammar and every aspect of what makes a screenplay "professional," so make sure your script doesn't give a studio reader any reason to put it down before they're done. It doesn't matter how great the story and characters are if the reader doesn't make it past the first couple of pages because he thinks the author is an lazy amateur who insults the reader by not thinking it's worth bothering to use proper English.

Fred

Animascript
08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Hello Fred,

You're right. The known studios don't accept spec screenplays and many small ones do. Well, I have not come across a CG studio who will be willing to direct my screenplay yet and it is far to early as my script is still in the hands of a script doctor. I am a professional french journalist and I am published in national magazines and newspapers. This is my first attempt in english. I never wrote any screenplays before in english. As the concept was good and the jokes turned out better in english, well, I decided to persevere in english as my wife is English too and helps me with the writing. I wrote my screenplay in french first and submitted it to companies in Montreal. When I have noticed how unprofessional they were, I decided to stop wasting my time. In fact, I got quick and positive responses from producers like Kerry David (Agent Cody Banks) but not even a reply from unknown studios in Montreal. Actually, the company who is currently releasing Pinocchio 3000 in Canada had to get the funds in Europe first as they could not do anything in Canada. So poor, so little resources. For example, the government of Canada helps with shorts and I think they are doing a great job in this aspect but unfortunately, they don't have much money to invest in bigger projects now.

However, I need professional advice on the actual grammar and technical aspects of the script. That's why it is being analysed now by a script doctor. So, thank you for the quote. However, I still don't think I am doing such a bad job as a frenchman. When I read the grammar or the spelling of some americans, it's quite scary too. Nobody's perfect, Fred. I don't say my script is perfect the way it is now as it's probably not ready for the marketplace yet. I need to work on the script still. I am just trying to get contacts and advice from this forum. This was the whole idea from the start. It was like pitching an idea to a producer without writing a single line of script.

I have a lot of imagination and so far, people reading my screenplay all liked the concept. The agents did not say this to please me as I spoke to them too. They were sincere but clearly expressed their doubts about the way it was written and in some places, layed out. You have to give me some credits here. Currently, I am in Pennsylvannia as I came to meet some friends over here. I met good friends who gave me recommendations, addresses for M. Night Shyamalan or Steven Zaillian (screenwriter of the Schindler's list) and I also met a millionnaire, ready to invest his money into the project if I can find a good CG Studio to direct my script. I am not going to post anything on this forum as it is not ready to send out. It might take a while before I send anything yet but truly, I won't post my entire script here for sure.

If you knew a good CG Studio who would be ready to read a spec screenplay in order to direct it, please go ahead and give me some useful links, Fred. I have already added DNA on my list, don't worry. Can I ask you something about Jimmy Neutron and DNA, Fred? Was the screenplay created in house and then presented as a short or did they really buy the spec screenplay first hand and how much?

Thanks,

Sebastien

scotttygett
09-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I need professional advice on the actual grammar and technical aspects of the script. That's why it is being analysed now by a script doctor.

They are great for grammar, I hear.

I am just trying to get contacts and advice from this forum. This was the whole idea from the start. It was like pitching an idea to a producer without writing a single line of script.

Yeah, they seem to do that.

I have a lot of imagination and so far, people reading my screenplay all liked the concept.

I also met a millionnaire, ready to invest his money into the project if I can find a good CG Studio to direct my script.

This brings me to the part I didn't get. "A good CG studio" is four studios, though some of the let-go personnel can be found spread among a couple dozen two-man shops, if you're talking about the track records. www.aidb.com (http://www.aidb.com/) is a list of absolutely everybody, I think.

One presumes the millionaire would respond to an animatic produced by the studio, but you could just as easily hire a storyboard artist independently, depending on the character requirements. Good storyboard artists are often good animation directors.

Perhaps the millionaire wanted to bring your script and a name studio to a distributor at a festival to see if it all clicked. For the milionaire, a film market vacation, and maybe the whole budget of the film. Not bad for the plane fare and admission price.

I honestly don't get the "director" connection in indie films or animation. I might ask him to explain what he's after. Some animation studios don't want service bureau work, I found out by asking. Some seem to like it, but draw the line at hot air -- show them a check, a studio letterhead or a corporate sponsor. Some will work on spec for promises.

Focussing on the animatic, and staying flexible with the choice of studio to pipeline the work, maybe something will happen. Some great studios exist under the radar, like Wet Cement (http://www.autobgood.com/ABG_OnlineStore/OnlineStore.htm) or the other 900 listed in the aidb.

If you knew a good CG Studio who would be ready to read a spec screenplay in order to direct it, please go ahead and give me some useful links, Fred.

One other thought is animationcoop.org. Someone there might be willing to storyboard a short sequence.

Clearly, I came out of my own experience a bit disappointed, but I wasn't trying to see it from their view.

danielkenobi
10-01-2005, 12:08 AM
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8337/38040328homealone7nn.jpg

Aye Carumba!

Is Hay caramba :wise:

Dream in digital I think it was mad, because of the way you show off in this thread and you dont show anything. Be cool I know Animascript is a not very pollite people but why fight with him.
Animascript. I think you should be more humble(humilde in spanish if you didnt understand ) and stop showing off, we might not be super Directors but we work every day harder to improve our skills, and people here who think are the best, are not very well acepted by the comunity. I dont know anyone in a studio who can help you, but I would try to send it to some one in Blur studios, those guys have not made cg featured films but they are pretty good at what they do, and might be interested. Good luck

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2005, 12:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.