PDA

View Full Version : What is Softimage XSI

DVN
11-02-2002, 12:21 PM
I'm a litle new to CG and was wondering What XSI is? Is it like MAYA and 3D studio? Models, Animations? CGI... Just wondering :D

cmortier
11-02-2002, 01:11 PM
You better look at their web site:
Here (http://www.softimage.com)
and see for youself.

It's like Maya and 3d studio but you can do everything.

Atyss
11-02-2002, 04:06 PM
It's like Maya and 3d studio but you can do everything.

I don't know where you got this idea but this is far from true. Although my first choice application is XSI because of the workflow, power and quality of the software, Maya and 3ds max offer much more features than XSI. This will be my only comment on this thread as I don't like software comparisons, but I felt that you were misinforming a new user.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

ThirdEye
11-02-2002, 04:57 PM
3ds Max more features than XSI? mmm...

HapZungLam
11-02-2002, 07:10 PM
i just went to MAX5 seminar, I am quite impress with their functions. But, i agree that the work throw XSI still the best to me.

cmortier
11-03-2002, 10:44 AM
Please don't start comparing softs, we all know they have similar features, anyway my english is not perfect so what I wanted to say is that in all 3 softs and then in Softimage XSI, you can do everything : modeling, animating, rendering. And that the best way to know what XSI can do, is check the main site.

EdHarriss
11-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Yes, please do not start a software war. We all know that every package has it's strengths and weaknesses. This forum is for learning not arguing.

Atyss
11-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Ok sorry about that. I'm on Ed's territory now, so I gotta watch it :shame:

Cheers Ed :)

sumatra
11-04-2002, 12:02 PM
I'm using 3DSmax 4.2 (polymodelling for work-- all around for my personal stuff) . In about a month i may have to switch to XSI,

I've already have the experience cd but its a fairly difficult proccess adapting to the new interface & workflow (not with a negative point of view) so im fairly ignorant about XSI and its capabilities.

Can anyone with expience in max lighten up me please about what to expect?

thank you. :)

Atyss
11-04-2002, 01:38 PM
I'll try to stick with the essence, as many things could be said here. Also, it's a personal opinion here, so take it as is. Others may disagree.

- Superior workflow. Selection and modeling workflow is better, because of the way you use the keyboard and the mouse.

- Some great modeling tools, again because of the keyboard workflow. However, don't expect to find all the features of max in XSI, even in v3 (for example, no split edge, no break point, no extrude along normals, no possibility to weld more than 2 vertices at once without a script).

- In addition, there is a very nice free plug-in for XSI, called RC Tools, wich features many edge loop, point loop and polygon loop functions.

- Speed. Unparallaled speed, in most areas (modeling, weighting, interface changes, subd). In fact, I found max to be horribly slow, even with moderate polytgon count objects. In XSI, you won't experience that.

- Great tools for unwrapping, like sub-projections, and the ability to select sample points in the viewport and to select entire faces in the Texture Editor (a UVW Unwrap on steroids). However, in XSI you can't have have elements (thus limiting the functionality), and you can't separate parts of an object without making them separate objects. You have to do everything with the Texture Editor, wich is not ideal in all cases.

- Awesome animation tools. There is no need to things like morpher and character studio. The architecture of XSI can acheive the same things without the need of a plug-in. There is also the famed Animation Mixer, wich is similar to the Motion Flow, but in a much, much, much superior way.

- The weighting is pretty amazing. The toolset to paint weights is nice. 3ds max looks like a wannabe kid in this area.

- Kick ass rendering. Superior anti-aliasing and raytracing. However, there are a couple of bugs that are pretty annoying (although most can be bypassed).

- Pass toolset. You have tools to create passes pretty easily.

- Compositing interface. In XSI you can composite stuff in a similar fashion as Shake and Combustion.

Like I said there are many things that could be said. Just keep in mind that (imho, of course) XSI is much geared towards production than 3ds max. I agree that at first the workflow is weird, but as soon as you get used to it, it's addictive.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Edin
11-06-2002, 01:42 AM
Can max do crowd control? I think not.

I've been using max since just before 2.0

I have recently switched to XSI. reason being It really really does give you more control over what you can do. Particularly without haveing to script everything.

ggg
11-06-2002, 02:51 AM
with plugin

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.