PDA

View Full Version : BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Guys/Gals,

I have the pleasure to announce this new thread for BEGINNING DRAWING STUDENTS ~ called:

BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

The Format:

1. You are asked to purchase the classic book, The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/isbn=0874774195/).

2. In about TWO WEEKS, you will be expected to have the book so that the Beginner's Drawing Workshop can begin.

3. You will be given TWO WEEKS (four weeks from now) to complete an exercise from the book formerly chosen by Stipick_S (now by Margie and myself). Once you post your work, Margie (and anyone else who feels they have advice to offer) will offer helpful comments and critique to help you to understand and complete the exercises.

NOTE:

Never posted an image to CGTalk before? It's easy! Learn how to host images and post them on CGTalk here: New to CGTalk? Learn how to post IMAGES here! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088)

The RULES:

1. You must purchase the book, The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/isbn=0874774195/). You have TWO WEEKS from today to do so.

2. You have TWO WEEKS (four weeks from now) to complete the first exercise. New exercises will then be assigned, and you will have two weeks to complete each new exercise.

3. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

4. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

5. Margie (formerly Stipick_S) has generously offered her time to critique work; however, with a full-time job and a demanding schedule, she will not be able to answer everyone's requests for assistance. She has agreed, however, to stop by the threads when she has time to offer comments and critique. I will also be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

6. ANY MEDIUM may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing.

7. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 600 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

8. Have fun, enjoy, and learn! :)

Thank you to Stipick_S for this great idea!!! :)

Ok, Guys/Gals! Time to buy the book!!!

EDIT: Roberto Ortiz has alerted me of the following:
The official website of the book is this one:
http://www.drawright.com (http://www.drawright.com/)
It has one online exercise, in case you would like a preview!

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Exercise #1 Instructions:

1. Read chapter one.

2. Spend 1 hour (longer if you choose) and complete the three exercises. Post
(edit) your portrait (which is part of the Exercise #1): which is found at the end of chapter 2 on pages 15,16, and 17.

3. The first exercise will have minimum critiques. The first drawings have
two purposes:

A) To get you drawing.

B) They are something for you to look back on when all of this is done and will allow you to compare your progress.

Optional: For those of you who have the separately sold companion work book, you can do the "draw the corner of the room" exercise as well.

There are no wrong or right ways to do this ~ just do the best you can. Do
not be afraid to post as there will be no critiques on your first attempts.
We just want to get you drawing as much as possible! :)

P.S. ~ If you have the time do some more drawings, draw your foot, an apple,
a box, etc. Just don't post these as we are mainly interested in the
results of the listed exercise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise #2 Instructions:

1) You have 1 Week to complete the exercise.

2) Read up to page 50.

a) In the next bit of reading many of the questions to why we did the previous exercises will be answered.

3) Complete the exercise on page 50.

Time: this exercise should take 5-6 minustes
Materials needed: Book ( you have to read the directions carefully), pencil, paper and vocal chords.

4) Post your work and a small paragraph explaining any problems (as explained in the book) that you might have had.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise #3 Instructions: (posted 11-11-05)

NEW INSTRUCTIONS:

So far, the goal of the exercises has been to (re)discover the state of mind (R-mode) that is better at observing/drawing. There is still one to come, and a very important one to prepare for the core of the drawing exercises. After that, the book begins with practising the basic principles of drawing. I'd like to take a big step forward by working up to the point where we can begin on basic drawing principles in the next set of instructions.

It's quite a lot of work, so I'd like to extend the time to finish these exercises to:

3 weeks.

~~~~

Exercise #3:

Chapter 5

1. Please read this chapter as it helps you to understand why you draw the way you do and that it's not a shortcoming or lack of talent, but a stage in the natural development of artists.

2. If you have kept any of your childhood drawings or decide to draw one from memory, please feel free to share them. :). That would be really great!

Chapter 6

3. Read to page 98

4. Exercise page 89: Pure Contour Drawing. Not a "spectacular" exercise, the objective is to experience pure observation, draw exactly what you see. No more, no less. In a very real way, it's a form of zen-meditation. Instread of "just sitting", it's "just drawing". Live in the here and now and that sort of stuff.

5. Reread "drawing materials" (page 13) and make the picture plane and viewfinders if you haven't done so already. This is really crucial to learn to draw realistically quickly, so please take the time to make them. If you want to work digitally, using guidelines on a separate layer works just as well as an alternative for the picture plane in the later
exercises, but you will still benefit from the viewfinders and doing the next exercise with the picture plane..

6. Exercise on pages 96/97/98: Trace your hand in forshortened position through the picture plane.

I'm looking forward to your drawings. Have fun!

Exercise #4:

Exercise #4

Almost halfway through the book!
From now on the exercises focus on the basic principles of drawing as
mentioned in the book: edge, shape, relationships, value (light and
dark) and gesture (gestalt).
There's only one exercise left in chapter 6, but I think it's a very
important one and I strongly recommend practising drawing edges from a
photo or from life as often as you can, using the viewfinder/guideline
method before moving on to shapes/negative space.

Some great photo references to practise on can be found in these threads:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=295498 (http://showthread.php?t=295498) (15 minute sketchathon)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257570 (http://showthread.php?t=257570) (Reference for
Anatomical ansd Figurative Art)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297467 (http://showthread.php?t=297467) (OFDW008)

===============

Exercise #4 instructions

- Read page 98 to 104

- Modified Contour Drawing of your hand on page 105 to 110. Copy the
tracing you did from the previous excerise.

Step 7 of this exercise is especially important. It takes a lot of
practise to judge the length and angle of a line accurately without any
guides.
I hope the story of Vincent van Gogh on page 103 has convinced you there
is nothing wrong with using a few tricks in the beginning. In time, you
won't need them anymore.

Exercise #5 Instructions: (posted 12-16-05)

The next chapter - chapter 7 - deals with two prime concepts of art. Or
three actually, because they are closely related.

These concepts are:

- shapes
- negative space
- composition

Instead of seeing edges (which most people do when they first begin to
draw), the exercise now concentrates on shapes, but in a whacky way.
You're going to look at everything BUT the subject you want to draw.

Most people "overfocus" on the subject. Because the subject is
meaningful, especially when the subject is a fellow human being,
everything else becomes unimportant. And here's an almost mindboggling
paradox: if you focus on the shape of the space around or outside the
subject, your drawing will represent the subject to perfection!

Learning to see negative space takes practise and... the non-judgemental
state of mind you've come to know as the right side of the brain. Forget
about the subject that is so compelling, try to focus on the surrounding
space.

Now for the exercise:

======================

Exercise #5:

- Read chapter 7
- Drawing exercise "the chair" on page 127
- If you have the time, also try the drawings of "child seated in a
wicker chair" by Homer and the study made by the Flemish painter Rubens
on page 135. The trick is NOT to focus on the idea "oh, I'm copying a
Rubens!" but only pay attention to the spaces between the drawn subjects.

=======================

Note: I will post additional information in the thread.

Above all: Have fun!

NOTE FOR NEWCOMERS:

Please feel free to join in at any time you like. There's no need to wait for the next workshop. Start with exercise #1 above and post your work.

Also please note that prior to an accident, Shaun / Stipick_S was singularly dedicated to this Workshop. While he is fine, he will, for the time being, be unable to continue to host this Workshop. Margie has graciously agreed to step in.

~Margie and Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Hey everybody,

Anyways, I will be helping out wth this one. Rebecca, let me thank you for this opportunity. Let me also thank CGTalk for this excellent resource for which i am eternaly gratefull.

Quick background on myself:

I have a BFA in drawing and painting from The University of the Arts located in Philadelphia and another degree from the MMDC lab where I was taught digital mediums such as maya and after effects from Papa Georgio of Digital Tutors. I currently work in motion graphics and life in the industry has been kind and generous. I prettty much stopped drawing out of frustartion several years ago. The school (university of the arts) had a very contemporary program and I was desperatly seeking a traditional approach. When I could not teach myself what I needed to know, I pretty much gave up. A short while ago I purchased 3 very important books which I am very proud to include in my library. One was Don Seegmiller's, "Digital Charater Design" which inspired me greatly and was the catalyst for my artistic rebirth, Anthony Ryder's "Figure Drawing and Betty Edward's "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". Using these books and the great forums here, I have been able to reinvent myself and my drawing abilities. I am by no means good, but just like everyone else who will join this thread I am learning (in many ways all over again) what I originaly wanted to learn in the first place.

The first place to start, logicaly would be the most basic place. Where is that? Well, the brain and our eyes. We need to learn to see, train our cognitive visual abilities. That is where "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" comes in. Along with you I am going to relearn (or learn the first time) what I desire so much to posses... decent drawing abilites! Hopefully with lots of practice and peristance I (and you) will begin to see a difference.

Shaun

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Space Reserved For Internal Thread Links
:)

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Cheers, Stipick!

:)

Guys/Gals,

Remember that in TWO WEEKS the lesson will begin. Stipick_S is in the process of selecting the perfect exercise for y'all and will be posting Instructions for the First Exercise shortly. However, it is imperative for this thread that you do buy the book. Hence the two week run-up time to the kick-off of the first Exercise.

Thank you in advance for your participation! :)

EDIT: Roberto Ortiz has alerted me of the following:

The official website of the book is this one:
http://www.drawright.com (http://www.drawright.com/)

The site has the first exercise, which you should preview to get a sense of this excellent book. However, they're not stupid enough to post all of their exercises online, so I highly encourage folks to buy the book. It will be a great resource for years to come. :)

I read the original back in the day when I was a young tadpole, and it was great!

~Rebeccak

TheFreak
08-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi rebeccak & stipick_S

This is a fantastic Idea and I will do my best to take part in it over the next few months.

I purchased the book a while ago and began to read it. Due to general life getting in the way i never managed to complete it. I did manage some of the exercises and I could see a vast improvement in my drawing in very little time.

I am looking forward to this exercise as it will give me more of an incentive to complete the exercises and with all the help and comments from yourselves and others, i am looking forward to seeing the results.

For anyone else reading this and thinking "i'm really not good enough for that kind of thing", please reconsider. This is a great book on it's own and with the professional help being offered here, you would be missing out on a great opportunity to learn to draw.

Thanks again for this opportunity and I look forward to the first exercise.

Cheers

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
TheFreak,

Yay! First customer!! :) ~Thank you for your support! Stipick_S deserves all the credit for the idea, and he is the prime on this contract, eg, he's the captain of the boat ~ he's a great guy, and a super enthusiastic person who has already contributed a great deal to the Anatomy forum!

Thanks again, and look forward to your posts! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Ok, folks, Shaun has just sent me the INSTRUCTIONS for EXERCISE #1 ~ they are listed above in post #2.

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

default-rol
08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
This sounds great!:thumbsup: - just ordered the book off amazon....

Well done Shaun!

MIKE

EDIT: Hell I need this!! - you seen my drawings on the figure drawing workshop?!! They were horrible... :eek:

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah! Default.rol / Mike rocks!!! :bounce:

EDIT: rah, rah, rah, I've also seen your Rubens copy (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2509050&postcount=50)...no excuses!!! :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-19-2005, 06:21 PM
This is going to be exciting! I would love to have as many people who have never drawn as those who have. If you have ever wanted to just give it a shot and are a little bit intimidated by the talent here at cgtalk. This is the place for you. In this thread we are all beginers!

Ego
08-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Becca Becca Becca.... Thanks a bunch.

EDIT:
I am trying to order this from Alibris. bwaaaaaaaaa I doubt it'll get here in two weeks. :( :(

default-rol
08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
EDIT: rah, rah, rah, I've also seen your Rubens copy (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2509050&postcount=50)...no excuses!!! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebecca

I always respond differently to a direct challenge! :p

Boone
08-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Being a vetern of Betty Edwards book I think this is a great idea for all the beginners out there.

You can learn a lot here, guys! :thumbsup:

Ego
08-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Never mind my other post. I think I can make it. I had purchased one of her videos before. I"ll watch it until the books come. This is gonna be fun fun fun.

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 08:10 PM
Queensoul,

Nice new avatar, wheredja get that? ;)

Everyone,

Please note that there has been a slight change to Exercise #1: when you post your work, please post your portrait as done for the Exercise #1.

Thanks! :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Rebecca- She changed her avatar because she has my brushes on and is trying to rule the underworld.:thumbsup:

I wish I could have bought the book. So I could have took part in this.:cry:

Ego
08-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Queensoul,

Nice new avatar, wheredja get that? ;)

~Rebeccak
A certain tireless art teacher has sworn to make me an artist. So she made me draw and draw and draw until I came up with something that looks like more art than I've ever drawn. In case you are interested, you can find her here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=266229&goto=newpost
:D

Oh by the way, Shaun ...Big big thanks

SpaceKid
08-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I would just like to say thanks stipick_S and rebeccak, this is a great idea! im new here :D and this will be my 1st post but i have kept an eye on CG Talk and ordered many books from them. I would say im average at drawing but very bad at drawing realistic faces or self portraits!!

I have ordered the book and thanks to this forum, i will definately be showing the exercises as the weeks go by so count me in :thumbsup:

Kyle

Rebeccak
08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Kyle_Booth,

Awesome! Welcome to the forum. :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
awesome!!!

SkyZero
08-20-2005, 04:22 AM
I would love to take part in this class! However I think the timing might be wrong for me at least in the beginning. In two weeks I am leaving on my honeymoon and won't be back until Sept. 12. So I basically wouldn't be able to start until that week.

When would the first assignment be due by? I'd really like to take part as my drawing skills definitely need all the help they can get!

You think it would still be possible for me to join and start as soon as I get back?

geo5sf
08-20-2005, 08:20 AM
my roomie, has this book(actually the prvious edition), and recommended it to me a week ago.. and I just started it.. I finished the PIcasso illustratioon excersise last night, and I must say, I am amazed at what I did! this is such a good book....can't wait to reach the end.

Ego
08-20-2005, 09:30 AM
If any of you are in the US and are interested, here is an ebay auction on the book. You might wanna snag it if its cheaper than your local book store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Drawing-on-the-Right-Side-of-the-Brain-Betty-Edward_W0QQitemZ4568853765QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

stipick_S
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
SkyZero:
The first exercise is not due till four weeks from now. The self protrait will only take you about 30 mins to 1 hour. So you have plenty of time. Besides if you come in a bit late, thats okay too. Why? Becuase it is never too late to learn to draw, and who am I to stand in the way of anyones progress. The timeline is just a way to light a fire under our butts.

Come on....wad'ya say!!!

2 weeks to get the book.
2 weeks to complete the first 3 exercises and post the self-portrait.

shaun

umbrellasky
08-21-2005, 12:51 AM
This sounds great! I've just ordered my copy. I'm going to be quite busy with college work and other things but I'm going to make an effort to join in as best I can :)

Thanks for this opportunity :)

SkyZero
08-21-2005, 02:17 AM
SkyZero:
The first exercise is not due till four weeks from now. The self protrait will only take you about 30 mins to 1 hour. So you have plenty of time. Besides if you come in a bit late, thats okay too. Why? Becuase it is never too late to learn to draw, and who am I to stand in the way of anyones progress. The timeline is just a way to light a fire under our butts.

Come on....wad'ya say!!!

2 weeks to get the book.
2 weeks to complete the first 3 exercises and post the self-portrait.

shaun

All I gotta say to that is....I'm in! :thumbsup:

stipick_S
08-21-2005, 04:06 AM
Great, I am hoping that we can all be an inspiration to each other.

Shaun

Fus|on
08-22-2005, 11:14 AM
wow man, this is awesome news. keep up the good work guys.

just a question, when will this workshop thingy end? like what date because i really want to participate but due to me leaving end of october for a holiday I'm not sure if it will be enough time to go through all the exercise's.

Thanks once again for all your guys hardwork and effort.

BernieK
08-22-2005, 08:21 PM
can't believe that there aren't more replies to this thread, cause i think it's a really fantastic idea. well, at least it's perfect for me, exactly what i was looking for.

got the book today, so count me in!

looking forward to a cool time with you guys!

cheers!

Rebeccak
08-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Fus|on and BernieK,

Thanks for your replies! I am hoping that more will participate than are responding. Generally, things are a bit slow at first, then start to snowball. :) Folks are free to hop on board whenever they have free time ~ this workshop will run as a sequence through the different chapters, but anyone is free to do these exercises as they can, ie, the workshop is never technically closed, though commentary may cease to be as regular after all the chapters have been gone thru.

Looking forward to everyone's participation! :)

~Rebeccak

DaddyMack
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi you guys, thanks for the great gather! If I can make the time I'd really benefit from running through this with you folk... Is the first edition suitable or will I need to upgrade?

stipick_S
08-23-2005, 03:05 AM
I think the first addition will be suitable. Great to have you with us. I think once things get going we will ask you guys what speed we should go at. I of course have to check with Rebecca on this as she is the queen bee.

Just for example, in the next 2 weeks I will be running through the book completely and doing all of the exercises just so i know what's coming and can answer any questions. Of course I will do it again when we start. So far it has been very feasible (for me) to do a chapter a day. While that may be a bit too fast, I can't imagine that every chapter is going to require 2 weeks to do. So, I will speak to Rebecca (if she has not allready seen this post) and discuss the realities of time with her ( I live in a dream world so I am not allways the best judge). In some of her previous threads she had inquired as to what other postees thought, so I would assume she is open to discussion regarding this topic. However, for right now the time line is 2 weeks and 2 weeks.

Thanks for joining up!

Also let me say that unless Rebecca closes this thread, I die, a large emp blast destroys all electronics or my fingers disapear I will allways watch this thread. So even if time is up and you still want to give the book a try, drop me an email and I will help you through it (maybe even do it with you).

Shaun

Joel Hooks
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
I have had this book (and workbook) on my shelf for about a year now, so I will take this opportunity to work through it with you guys. I'm going to attempt to use the Wacom for the instead of a pencil.

Thanks for taking the time to set this up.

Rebeccak
08-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Joel Hooks,

Great! Agreed, I have many books with perfect, unbent spines on my bookshelf too, lol! Glad you'll be joining us! :)

~Rebeccak

Elaeria
08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Oh this is too funny! I am soooo up for this exercise like you woudln't believe!

I am only seeing this post for the first time today. It's just so ironic that I've been planning to buy this book for a couple weeks. I just haven't had the time or the money to buy it until now. I'm heading over to buy it online right now! Weee!

Rebecca and Stipic_S, you guys rock! This is exactly what I've been wanting to see happen for a newb like me. This will be so beneficial!! How unbelievably awesome that not only can I practice the exercises in the book, but get some feedback on them too! Thank you thank you thank you! :bounce:
See you on my first post!

~Ela~

EDIT:Wee!! I bought the book last night at Chapters, read the first chapter and started on the first excercises. Hooray for my right brain! :twisted:

CBee
08-24-2005, 02:06 AM
This looks like a really great idea. :applause: I already have another beginner drawing book that I'm working my way through (Keys to Drawing) which I'm pretty happy with, but I'll certainly check this book out at the store. If there is enough new stuff in there I'll probably pick it up.

...so count me as a definite maybe. :D

GH33DA
08-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Ok. I want to try this. No! I want to do this! I'll pick up the book tomorrow.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 03:52 AM
GH33DA,

Great! You need do nothing for a bit over another week, as folks still have time to get their books...if you have paper, pen, and pencil, you should be set to go! Looking forward to your participation! :)

~Rebeccak

GH33DA
08-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Sorry to bother you but I noticed two different ISBN numbers for this book.

It looks like they are the same thing does it matter which one I get?

Rebeccak
08-25-2005, 04:15 AM
GH33DA,

No problem! :) I just googled both of these:

0874774195 : seems to be Hardcover;

0874774241 : seems to be Paperback

So it's up to you which you would like to get ~ obviously, the Paperback will be cheaper, and should be fine. :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
woot!! Book arrived today in the post! I'm going away for the weekend to visit my older brother and I'm going to take it with me and maybe do a few sketches. Also I will perhaps do some gesture drawing of my family and post them when I get back.

Thanks again!!! :D

stipick_S
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
RebbecaK:
I would like to make a correction if possible. The exercises that are part of the first assignment can be found at the end of chapter 2 on pages 15,16, and 17. Sorry for the confusion.

Shaun

lostartist
08-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Can't draw to save my life, but I have order the book now :).
Hope to get some action on my wacom.
Great idea!

Rebeccak
08-26-2005, 08:55 PM
No prob, Shaun, I don't think we ever mentioned where the exercises began in the first place, so no correction need be made. :)

Wow, guys, it's great to see everyone so excited! Looking forward to this a lot! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Ego
08-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I just received confirmation from Alibris. My books arrive on the 27th of September. Aaaaaargh.

But at least I'll have them soon :)

Jake3D
08-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Alright..... I saw this thread and at first found it very interesting. Saw pepole one by one decide to join and get excited about it. I thought to myself that this would be perfect for someone like me. I took some drawing classes in school, but didn't really get good at it, just gained a better understanding of the principles involved. So after thinking about it I decided.... what the heck.....never gunna learn how to draw if I don't try. And what better way to get on board with it, then to join an activity like this, with accountability, critiques, assitance....IT'S PERFECT!

So like the others before me said...."Count me in!" Now, I'm bad...really bad at drawing, but I want to be good....really good. So if you have a list at home of the pepole joining in to do this and have a subcategory for those that you really want to keep an eye on and see do well......put me on it. And if you don't, then make that list now. LETS DO THIS!

Rebeccak
08-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Jake3D,

Lol, welcome to the forum! :) No list required, you just join in as you choose! :)

Hope to see your work here ~ if you've never posted work before, check out this thread which shows you how. :)

New to CGTalk? Learn how to post IMAGES here! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088)

Glad you're in! :)

~Rebeccak

Golgafrincham
08-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Ok you've got me. I've had this book for a while and have been threatening to work through it and see if I could recapture some of the ability I had when I was younger.
After all what's the worst that could happen?

catamount
08-28-2005, 08:50 PM
i have the VHS and wondered if it was just the work book i was looking for? or both?

- thanks

Rebeccak
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Golgafrincham,

Alright! :) You've got nothing to lose. :) Glad you can join us! :thumbsup:

schnappy,

Good to see you here! :) Let me ask Mr. Shaun aka Stipick_S himself...he is frankly more familiar with the materials than I. :)

~Rebeccak

catamount
08-28-2005, 10:46 PM
from what i saw its very cool. my brain gets alot of fatigue from doing these excersises. thanks for taking the time to help me rebecca.

I took some drawing classes in school, but didn't really get good at it

ive taken the principal if my brain hurts something must be right :) im in the proccess of spooning my brain up and sticking it back in my head.

Rebeccak
08-28-2005, 10:49 PM
schnappy,

You're welcome! :)

Hahahahahaha!!! My brain hurts ALL the time, I suppose that's a good sign, lol! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Been away for a couple fo days, sorry about that guys. I have been working hard to meet a deadline and had to fill in at my second job. But I am back and I am getting really excited. It is great to see people slowly start trickling in. A couple of things though...

1) I have the work book and standard plain old/new regular book. I found the workbook to be an added expense that is not really worth it. You can get it but I dont think you will need it or find too much use for it. It pretty much is a one time deal and the paper inside is kind of crappy. Just use the vhs tape or standard book if you have it.

2) As far as drawing mediums go, you can get by with a number 2 pencil if need be. Dont go overboard and dont sweat if you cant or do not want to buy everything she says. For owners of the new book, the viewfinders can be made of stuff from staple/office max for under 8 dollars.

3) Guys that do not have the new book but rather the old book. Dont worry as the exercises still work they are just a little different but are just as good. The new book added a couple of viewfinder exercises that probably help, but the book was just as popular before they were added and just as effective. No worries. email if you guys have any problems.

That is it guys...we start really soon!! woot!

Shaun

and for rebecca stipick_s (inside joke)

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Alright, peoples, I finally got my paws on a copy of "The New Right Side of the Brain". :thumbsup: So I am ready to follow along as you guys advance in your drawings skillz! :)

T~minus 1 week. :)

~Rebeccak

Llynna
08-29-2005, 03:12 AM
i will get my copy approximatly tomorrow :) if amazon is not too slow *gg*

i am curious how this is going to turn out :)

Ego
08-29-2005, 07:54 AM
:thumbsup:Thanks guys! ;)
:scream: meh, I had paid for both the book and workbook. Wish I had read this before . I dont know why I thought the exercises ARE in the workbook.

catamount
08-29-2005, 02:24 PM
so just the VHS is fine? and the first exercise is the 2 faces/vase?

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 02:26 PM
schnappy,

Looks like! If you run into any trouble, just let Shaun / Stipick_S or I know thru PM and we'll help you out.

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-29-2005, 08:49 PM
throw me an email schnappy....

default-rol
08-29-2005, 09:14 PM
First exercise -

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4452/exercise12908055zb.jpg

I know most people are still getting the book sorted out, but I decided to make a start after all the effort Shaun has put in - Well done Shaun! (and RebeccaK)

MIKE

Rebeccak
08-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Mike,

Neeeerrrrrrrrrrrddddd!!! :scream: Great initiative, lol!! :thumbsup:

Your hand study is really nice!! But I am going to try to keep quiet for a change and let Shaun do the critiquing...lol, I have TNDOTRSOTB open right now! :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Default.rol gets to sit back and relax for the next two weeks.

Awesome to see someone allready post. The reasons for the first set of exercises are explained in the book. There of course, will be no technical critiques for this set. I will say that I like how defualt.rol set up his exercises. he only had to post his portrait but he chose to do the hand as well. This is great. Thanks for being on the ball default. This is fantastic.

the tonal shaping in the hand is indeed really nice...

Shaun

p.s. I am going to keep all of the first exercises...that way at the end I can set up a montage of our progress.

p.s. p.s. - something to think about for you guys that have the book allready. for the next set of exercises, how fast should we go? One week, two weeks? What do you guys think?

default-rol
08-30-2005, 12:40 AM
According to my version of the book I picked up from Amazon the other day, there are three exercises for the first round -

#1 - Portrait
#2 - Drawing a human from memory (thats why it looks very odd!)
#3 - Hand study

Hence three drawings in total...

As for the speed which to progress at, the book is a "crash course" that is suppost to last only 5 days (if I read the intro correctly,) but I am just going at the pace of the thread so I haven't read anymore than the second chapter, (I might go further now though.) Shaun, is there any benefit to going fast do you know? (or will 1 task per week/fortnight still work out fine do you think?)

MIKE

jgr77777
08-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Howdy, y'all,

I'm a new CGSociety member. I'm very excited that I found this Workshop. Below are my 3 drawings for Exercise 1.

Self Portrait

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/jgr77777/Drawing%20on%20the%20Right%20Side%20of%20the%20Brain/Exercise%2001/Self-Portrait.jpg

Person from Memory

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/jgr77777/Drawing%20on%20the%20Right%20Side%20of%20the%20Brain/Exercise%2001/Person-from-Memory.jpg

My (Right) Hand (Yes, I'm a southpaw.)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/jgr77777/Drawing%20on%20the%20Right%20Side%20of%20the%20Brain/Exercise%2001/My-Right-Hand.jpg

A thought about how fast to cover the book: I would vote for fast, just because the original seminars are pretty fast, but I understand that others have time constraints and obligations more critical than mine.

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:59 AM
jgr77777,

Welcome to the forum! :) I am going to try really hard to stick to my pledge of keeping my mouth shut for a change and allowing Shaun to work his magic in this thread! :) But I'd just like to say hello, and thank you for being the second participant in this Workshop! :)

Thank you for posting your work! :)

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

Ego
08-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Did we start already? hmmm
Becca? Shaun? Someone send me a love poem already :D :D

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
QS,

No, we don't start til' next week. :)

~Rebeccak

Ego
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
QS,

No, we don't start til' next week. :)

~Rebeccak
Phew! I was wondering why people were already posting exercises for a class that had not yet started. :p

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 03:38 PM
QS,

Well, Mike's on a chocolate high, from what I hear...:rolleyes:

~Rebeccak

Ego
08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
QS,

~Rebeccak
How selfish! he didnt share. Does he not know the number one chocolate rules?

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Queensoul,

Hahahahahaha! Hey ~ aren't you away from the shared spamming station? *chastising look* ;)

~Rebeccak

Ego
08-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Queensoul,

Hahahahahaha! Hey ~ aren't you away from the shared spamming station? *chastising look* ;)

~Rebeccak
On my way, ma'am!

umbrellasky
08-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey all :) I thought as a couple of people have posted their sketches allready I thought I'd post mine.

The large image of the head is my self portrait, the other person is my mother drawn from memory (that was really hard) I rushed it a little. and that other drawing is of my hand. The people were drawn with a 4b pencil and the hand was drawn with 4b pencil and shaded with a couple of 'warm gray' copic markers.

Hope you like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/selfportrait.jpg

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 04:29 PM
enialadam,

Wow, it's great to see that folks are rarin' to go!! :bounce: :) I'm going to leave the comments to Shaun...I'm trying...hard...to hold...back... :D

Thanks for posting these! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

default-rol
08-30-2005, 06:13 PM
QS,

~Rebeccak

RebeccaK - I didn't dare eat them myself, I'm not that stupid, (Only 8 more victims to find and the pack will be gone....:twisted: )

How selfish! he didnt share. Does he not know the number one chocolate rules?

QS - They are that (nutrient) dense that the table that they are resting on has been structurally compromised... enough said on that :scream:.

Great to see people posting now!

Ego
08-30-2005, 06:37 PM
lol, why do I feel the need to grab an anvil, hit on a desk and yell 'ORDER IN THE COURT!'? :D

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Ok, happy peoples ~ as of now ~ no more spam on this thread! If you have spam ~ and Rebeccak, default.rol, & Queensoul, this means you!!! ~ then can it!!! :scream:

~Rebeccak

catamount
08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
mmm.... chocolate :rushes to fridge:

SpaceKid
08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi guys hope you are all okay :)

3 Questions i need to be clarified:

1. When does the session start, is it this friday coming up or monday?

and

2. On the day, do we post JUST our portrait drawing? nothing else. and also a photo of ourselves so we can compare the drawing?

and

3. Can we post again with our 2nd, 3rd try and so on after critic on our 1st portrait or do we wait till after all the excersises have been done in the book?

Thanks

Kyle

Rebeccak
08-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Kyle_Booth,

Thanks for getting us back on track. :thumbsup:

The Workshop officially starts Monday. I would prefer that people hold off posting stuff til then, because it will create a sense of cohesion, and the purpose of the Workshop is to move thru the lessons as a group. You are more than welcome to do the exercises beforehand. :) But hold off posting til Monday. :)

No one is required to post their photograph, though you may if you so choose ~ this will help Shaun and others see how you are seeing, and enable others to give you some pointers. But, by no means is posting your photograph a requirement.

You may definitely post updates as you choose ~ we are in the WIP forum here, so the purpose is to post work, get critique, improve your work, and post again. There is no limit to the number of posts which you may make ~ however, I ask that folks post their BEST work, and not just random updates which show little progress.

AND, for the purposes of streamlining things, I'd like to keep SPAM *such as exhibited by yours truly and her wacky set of friends* at bay ~ so from now on, we will all limit our posts to work, comments, and critique.

Thanks for your questions, and I hope this helps! :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
08-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey guys,
1) RebeccaK answered all the questions right on target. So yeah for less work for me!

2) spam, spam, spam, spam!

3)queensol...love poems a coming.

4)I do not see any particular harm if people want to get a head start...just don't post any other exercises other than the first set. Also please see rebeccas first answer in the above post about when you should post as it is right on. Feel free to do them if you wish, but hold off on posting any other exercises other than the ones we are covering.

You guys rock? especialy Default because he gave me some chocolate!

Jg7 and Enaila- good start. These are the sort of posts we should expect. It does not have to be fancy or photrealisticly (I am sure I spelled that wrong) rendered. This is a good bookmark and reference point. Great start guys!

The intiative around here is awesome. Thanks guys.
Shaun

tiare
08-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Count me in! I just dusted off my ancient copy of the book and started reading. It really will be great to go through it as part of a group workshop. Thanks Shaun and RebeccaK for putting this together !!!

Llynna
08-31-2005, 04:43 AM
i couldn't resist eather^^ and since i wasn't able to sleep i drew.

the first one is the piece from mind, well not exactly what you were to do i supposed but it was fun. as you might guess the lower one am i.

http://666kb.com/i/10q3njka4tlvk.jpg

stipick_S
08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
llynna-

nicely done. You are right about the first peice being not quite what we were looking for , but you only had to post your self portrait. So who am I to complain.

Just for reference and in case others have not read past the first set of exercises. The reason we are drawing someone we know from memory is so that we can identify what symbols we use when drawing. Often we substitute symbols, so we do not have to think about what we are drawing.

Edit: There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this and it has to do with survival (I'll finish this post in a second..chasing my daughter around the house). Come back here kid! Ok, I am back. Now that I have had some time to think about this post, I am going to leave this discussion alone for the moment. I will come back to it after we have read the second and thrid chapters.

Back on topic:
For anybody else posting, please try to stay as close to the first set of exercises as possible. Thanks.

Shaun

stipick_S
09-02-2005, 02:46 AM
I am going on vacation guys for the next four days and will not have access to a computer. Will be back on tuesday. If I can find a library or similar I will check to see if there has been any new posts. Everyonne have fun and the away we go! Okay that last bit was dumb but I was not sure how to say "lets begin" without saying "lets begin".

"you guys knwo what I am saying right"

"right"

"guys"

"anyone"

okay enough fun...have a good weekend evrybody and I will see you monday evening!
Shaun

P.s. Maybe I will get some good sketch time in!! yay!

mr: big smart
09-04-2005, 07:24 PM
hi ppl

iam a new member here

i just want to know the rules into the workshop and are we going for a certian project or what ?

thanx in advance.

Rebeccak
09-04-2005, 07:36 PM
mr: big smart,

Read the first posts at the beginning of this thread. It explains all. :) We should begin tomorrow. :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
mr: big smart: Welcome :) basically you need a copy of the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, then stipick_S will be posting assignments for us referring to the book. The first assignment is on the main page. If you read what's on the front page that probably explains it better than me :)

I think people can start posting their drawings now (allthough some of us posted early because we couldn't resist :bounce: )

Hope that helps :) I'm sure stipick_S or Rebecca can explain it better than me :D

Rebeccak
09-04-2005, 07:49 PM
enialadam,

Thanks, nope, I think you did a good job. :)

~Rebeccak

igorsandman
09-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Hey,
I'd like to take part in this workshop. I hope I'll get my hand on a copy of it soon enough.
Question: the first assignement ends in two weeks, right? What if I have my book after the two weeks? Do I just catch up on my own, or will it possible to have feedbacks?
I'll probably buy it on eBay and I'm not sure how long it will take to ship it from the USA to Belgium :(
Damn, if only I had seen this thread earlier.:shrug:
Thanks.
-IS-

Ego
09-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Igor, that book is at the library. Check your local library and use theirs, while you wait for your copy to arrive. The problem for me is that it was in Dutch and French; am sure its not the case for you;

BernieK
09-05-2005, 05:08 PM
alright, so the first exercise started today right?

here is my attempt of the self-portrait. should we post the hand and the other portrait aswell?

looking forward to see all your stuff!

EDIT: picture moved to next page

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 05:20 PM
BernieK,

Welcome aboard! :) Yep, indeed we start today, and everyone has 2 weeks in which to post their first exercise. :) Yep, go ahead and post on up your hand and other portrait! Thank you for posting! :)

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-05-2005, 07:17 PM
alright, so here is my hand. i'm still struggling with the other portrait. it's quite tough to do a portrait from memory...

cheers!

EDIT: picture moved to next page...

Rebeccak
09-05-2005, 07:21 PM
BernieK,

Great, thanks for posting! :) That is the purpose of the exercise ~ to challenge you to really use your imagination, and to think about what you are drawing. Good luck with this! :)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi everybody,

vacation was fun I spent much of my time chasing gray tree frogs, 5 lined skinks and the ever elusive hog nosed snake while everybody else was at the beach, saw some dolphins though. That was fun. In my spare time I began charting the human body, anatomy.... so far it has been fun. It is actually great practice in many more areas than just the understanding of human structure. Within 2 drawings my shading skills had started to mature and refine themselves. Allin all it was fun. I know you guys don't care but I had fun and I like to share.

Good to see we have some new faces. That is allways awesome. The recent posts are looking good too. I can't wait till everybody posts their portraits as I think things will really get rolling. Thanks guys! Everything is looking good.

I think the great thing about everybody that has posted so far is that everyone shows alot of potential. I think there is a large amount of water in the talent pool here, we just need to refine our skills a little bit!

BernieK-Not a bad start... not bad at all.

For those of you who have any questions regarding protraits here is an excellent link on how to start out by an excellent artist:
http://www.tonyryder.com/demo/block_in/index.htm

then go to part 2
http://www.tonyryder.com/demo/block_in_final/index.htm

Shaun
P.S. Now that you have worked through the first couple of chapters don't forget to let me know your opinions about how fast/slow we should proceed.=)

Rebeccak
09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Shaun,

Great to have you back! Now the Workshop can begin in earnest. :)

~Rebeccak

Elaeria
09-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't posted my sketches yet. I have them ready, I just don't have access to a scanner at the moment *cries*!! Please forgive my tardiness, but I hope to join you all in your posts soon.

Take care,
~Ela~

stipick_S
09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
no worries Elaeria!

Ego
09-06-2005, 10:35 PM
no worries Elaeria!
Welcome back Shaun; My entry will follow in a day or two.

DeepOcianKid
09-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi, here is my first exercise. Took me just under an hour.

20 minutes here. I am satisfied with the look of my hand. I've done my hand two or three times before
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/deepociankid/The%20right%20side%20of%20my%20brain/hand1.jpg

My child from memory. The book holds truth to this exercise. I don't like this picture much. Spent 5 minutes on it.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/deepociankid/The%20right%20side%20of%20my%20brain/memorypic1.jpg

My self portrait. Spent 25 minutes here.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/deepociankid/The%20right%20side%20of%20my%20brain/portrait1.jpg

My pictures are dark around the edges, sorry. I only have internet access on my parents computer right now and its extremely slow, so touch ups are hard to work with.

Thanks for looking at my work.

Basie
09-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi All!!

I`ve bought the book few weeks ago and now i`ve find this thread!!yujuuu. So here are my drawings. They took me under an hour. I drew with pencil and scanned. From now i`ll work with the wacom.

I think two weeks per chapter its ok, and if we see that its a lot of time we can shorten to one week.

Sorry for my very bad english.

Selfpotrait:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/basie3d/LDC/1autorretrato.jpg

My hand:http://usuarios.lycos.es/basie3d/LDC/1mano.jpg

And my mother:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/basie3d/LDC/1retrratomemoria.jpg

HAsta luego!!

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 03:46 PM
DeepOcianKid and Basie,

Great to see you guys here! :) Thank you for posting your work. Glad you are participating, and hope to see more of your work in the future. :)

~Rebeccak

Purc
09-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Ah this is a cool thread. I bought the book a couple a weeks ago but didnt start it (only the first one, cause my drawings looks horrible). This thread is motivating me to go on further in the book.

Dont laugh of my drawings pls if i post them haha ;).
Tommorrow i going to scan them.

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Purc,

No one is going to 'laugh' at your work. :) The purpose here is definitely to learn. Good luck, and look forward to seeing your work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

catamount
09-10-2005, 09:09 PM
i'd laugh. then you can be :blush:. then i will post my work and everyone can laugh. wee!

Rebeccak
09-10-2005, 09:21 PM
schnappy,

Ah. My day just got more entertaining. :)

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-11-2005, 10:11 AM
wow, this thread is getting busy! and since we're talking about laughing, here is my third part of the first exercise: the portrait from memory. i hope i can cheer up everybody's day with this one :scream:

it's supposed to be my brother... he won't like that one :D

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/portrait_memory.sized.jpg

and the other 2 drawings:

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/portrait.sized.jpg

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/hand.sized.jpg

Rebeccak
09-11-2005, 02:11 PM
BernieK,

Lol ~ at your comments, not your drawing. :) Thanks for posting! Will you be posting the self~portrait and hand exercise as well?

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-11-2005, 02:56 PM
check page 7 on this thread for my other drawings (sorry that i didn't post it in one go...)

cheers!

EDIT: btw, i just edit my posts so all drawings are in one post...

Rebeccak
09-11-2005, 03:01 PM
BernieK,

Oh, duh, sorry for that! It's 10 am here and I'm not usually awake on the weekends before noon, so, you know how it is. :)

Thanks for restructuring! Hope you have found this exercise useful so far, and will be participating in the next round ~ Exercise 2 begins in one week! :)

Hey! You and your brother definitely look alike! :)

~Rebeccak

igorsandman
09-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Hello fellows,
here are my assignments:

1) Self portrait:

http://www.igorsandman.net/drawing/portrait.jpg

2) Portrait of Amélie, my niece (sorry for the crapy scan):

http://www.igorsandman.net/drawing/amelie.jpg

3) My left hand :) :

http://www.igorsandman.net/drawing/hand.jpg

Bye.
-IS-

Rebeccak
09-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Igor,

Thanks for posting! I think your hand sketch is especially nicely done. :) Ok...so I have to ask...do you really have a niece named Amelie? Does she run around shyly doing nice things for people? :scream: I am just kidding, I am insanely jealous of cool names. :)

Good to see you here. Let me know how your book delivery is coming. :)

And remember guys...new exercise in one week!

~Rebeccak

igorsandman
09-11-2005, 04:36 PM
so I have to ask...do you really have a niece named Amelie? Does she run around shyly doing nice things for people? :scream: I am just kidding, I am insanely jealous of cool names. :)

hehe Yes she's called Amélie and she loves Babar
Thanks for your comment on my drawings, Rebecca.
Bye bye.
-IS-

catamount
09-11-2005, 09:47 PM
~Sandman - the vein on that hand bothers me. if you look at your hand your spider veins are covered with skin, so the edges or inserts of the vein are not so prominent.

depending on lighting/the angle of your hand they become less or more visible. so what i am saying is pay attention to lighting. even draw at night using the light from your computer monitor if it helps.

so in theory depending on where you look when you shade the hand, on side of the vein would have a very dark and noticable shadow and leading away it would get lighter. there by giving the illusion.

stipick_S
09-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Igor I just want to say "can you see the improvement in your drawings". There are the portraits which are little rough (just being honest...they are howvwer a great start). Then there is the hand, which shows a great deal of improvement. Allready with a ltiitle bit of constructive practice (you are forced to look at an actual object vs. making one up) you can allready see the difference. The hand shows great promise as the forms and masses look good. The structure and anatomy are a tad off. That is okay though becuase you have really begun to see things spatially and that is exciting. Good job and keep up the good work.
Really, in all sincerity great improvment.

Shaun

stipick_S
09-12-2005, 04:49 AM
BernieK

I like the shading. I can really appreciate that you are going for form through the use of shading in conjunction with line. This is something the book covers later on and I am hoping we can really expand on that for you. Good job.

Shaun

stipick_S
09-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Ocean Kid and Basie,

Really glad you decided to join. I see a really good and earnest effort. You guys as well are off to a good start. We are all a little rough around the edges but it is really great to watch people improve with the just the first 3 drawings. good job guys!

Shaun

igorsandman
09-13-2005, 03:31 PM
Thank you Shaun and schnappy for your comments. The vein is completely off indeed. The truth is it sticked out so much (I should see a doctor :) ) that I couldn't put my eyes away from it. I should have made it softer.
Oh yeah congrats to the others. I know by experience that it's hard to take the first step and post crapy pictures on such a forum as cgtalk :deal:
Bye.
-IS-

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Igor,

We all gotta start somewhere. ;)

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
09-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I concur with rebeccaK! Keep up the good work.

Basie
09-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the welcome and for your time, guys! I´m glad to join in.

JMulder
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
This is great! I've been looking for a little fire under me to get through this book. Here are my exercises:

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Basie,

Glad to have you! :) Hopefully you are gearing up for the next round, which begins next week! :)

JMulder,

Glad to have you along as well! I think your drawing of your hand turned out very well! Looking forward to seeing you for round 2 as well. :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Guys / Gals,

The instructions for Exercise #2 have been posted on the first page of this thread.

Check it out if you would like to get started early! :)

~Rebeccak / Shaun

umbrellasky
09-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone! Great work :) I'm looking forward to the next excersise, I hope I can fit it in my time schedule.

Thanks again :)

Margie
09-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Hello everybody! I received my book this morning. Read through the first chapter and I'm really excited about this approach. I'll be working digitally with Painter and Wacom and curious how that will work out. Atm my control with the Wacom pen is crap, crap, crap.

To everybody who has already posted drawings: Great work! I see some progress already.

To Stipick_S and RebeccaK: Thanks for the workshop, I'm really looking forward to it. (Especially the Picasso upside down, lol!)

Here's my self-portrait. Time: about 25 minutes. Likeness: O, the wonders of (digital) drawing, I'm rejuvenated! All my wrinkles are gone :D

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/3135/selfportrait9cy.th.jpg (http://img277.imageshack.us/my.php?image=selfportrait9cy.jpg)

My brother as a child reading a book, drawn from memory from a (now lost) photo. Time: 10 minutes. I found this one really hard to do and felt a very strong urge to use construction lines (as taught by Andrew Loomis), but tried to resist, not alltogether succesfully (I erased some)

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/7587/apersondrawnfrommemory8pj.th.jpg (http://img277.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apersondrawnfrommemory8pj.jpg)

My hand, about 15 minutes.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/880/myhand8xh.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myhand8xh.jpg)

Margie

monkwan
09-14-2005, 03:58 AM
self portrait
http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/14_1515070_1.jpg

from memory
http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/14_1514936_1.jpg

i will submit my hand study tomorrow.

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 04:10 AM
monkwan,

Great to have you here! :) I have to say, I really like your value study ~ Painter, right? The thing is, I think that the focus of the Workshop should be Drawing, not Painting ~ so may I suggest you also do a Drawing from memory? I really want to keep everyone doing Drawings ~ if people would like to do paintings also, I think that's great ~ but not instead of Drawings.

I hope you understand. :) What the book really focuses on and teaches is a linear approach to Drawing ~ and I think to get the most out of the book and workshop, it's best to stick with that.

Looking forward to your other studies! :)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
09-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi All,

Exercise 2 - (did it around 2 weeks ago now... sorry, but I went on ahead myself :blush: )

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/5456/facevaseexercise3rr.jpg

I was totally amazed that you get a "mental block" when switching from naming the features of a face as you draw to just trying to mirror the other side. The only way that I could do it, (after coming to a dead stop for a few seconds!) was to think of it as a vase and try to work out the shapes in space - in relation to the other side.

Cool exercise Betty! :applause:

MIKE

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Margie,

Welcome to the Workshop! It's great to have you here, and thank you for posting your work. :) I especially like the portrait of your brother, as it shows a thoughtfulness which is really nice. In keeping with Shaun's format, I'm not really going to critique things at this point, but I hope you will continue to participate in Exercise #2, which begins next week! :)

Mike,

ROFL, you overachiever you! Great to see you getting a head start, and I'm happy to see you in the Workshop. :)

~Rebeccak

Purc
09-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Well here are my drawings from lession one. I really tried to do my best, but it was very difficult. Especially the drawing from mind with no reference. I tried to draw my brother. I said to him to look at me for 5 secs or so haha.. After that i went upstairs and draw him haha. Very very hard to do.

But well here they are. I choose to use paper and pencil, but turned up the contrast in PS.

Self potrait:
http://www.purc.nl/zooi/2D/Draw%20Right%20Lessions/Lession%201/Self_Potrait.jpg

My hand:
http://www.purc.nl/zooi/2D/Draw%20Right%20Lessions/Lession%201/My_hand.jpg

And my famous brother ;) :
http://www.purc.nl/zooi/2D/Draw%20Right%20Lessions/Lession%201/From_Mind.jpg

Very hard to do.. but it was fun aswell :scream:

*goes to lession 2

Rebeccak
09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Purc,

Good to see you here! :) It's cool to see your work. :thumbsup: In keeping with Shaun's format for this first exercise, I'm not going to really critique anything yet. Please do continue to exercise 2, and I wish you good luck! Looking forward to the next round. ;)

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi All,

I want to join this beautifull thread. It costs me quite an effort to do it, but I hope I can learn how to draw.

http://tinypic.com/doqtg4.jpg

Ok, it's done. First post.

Edit: I just noticed everybody has posted all three drawings.

Drawing a person from memory was very difficult.

http://tinypic.com/dotqb9.jpg

http://tinypic.com/dotqg9.jpg

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Smedro,

Welcome to CGTalk, and welcome to the Anatomy Forum! :) It's great to have you here. :)

Nice work so far! I really like that last picture of your hand, you have some very nice, sensitive linework that shows a lot of promise. I won't critique your work for this exercise, but I just want to say hello, and thanks for posting your work! :)

~Rebeccak

monkwan
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
i have redone my drawing from memory. I try to draw Audrey, OMG, i m sorry to draw her to be like this.

i hope to draw better soon.

http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/15_1515736_1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-15-2005, 04:29 PM
monkwan,

Thanks for posting your update! Anyone is free to do so. And I think Audrey will forgive you. ;)

~Rebeccak

lostartist
09-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Woho got my book today.
Fun to see so many people here.
Hope to post something soon.
Shall I use my new wacom or rather a pencil ? Or can I play with both :).

Jaspar
09-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Yay, just got the book in the post yesterday. Thanks so much for setting this up Rebecca and Shaun! Hopefully this workshop will encourage me to take the time to learn to draw properly.

Spent a few hours this evening doing the first set of assignments, realised I'm really slow at drawing and haven't got a clue what anyone looks like from memory (though fortunately still seem to be capable of recognising people). My boss ended up being the subject of my from memory drawing, hope he doesn't see it! Going to try and repeat all the assignments on a graphics tablet, would love to be able to use programs like Painter.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jaspar/Images/SelfPortrait_150905.jpghttp://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jaspar/Images/HandDrawing_150905.jpg
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jaspar/Images/MemoryPortrait_150905.jpg

Rebeccak
09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Jaspar,

Really nice job on your observational (self~portrait and hand) pieces especially! Great to have you here, and I would be more than happy to see you do these pieces digitally as well.
Just remember to Draw and not Paint if you go Digital. :)

Great to see your work, and I'm happy you got your book! :)

~Rebeccak

monkwan
09-16-2005, 04:41 AM
http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/16_1516543_1.jpg

http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/16_1516543_2.jpg

Rebeccak
09-16-2005, 04:47 AM
monkwan,

Ah, digital versions! Great to see. :) You know, it's funny because I did not expect folks to do as well with the digital versions as with the traditional versions...but so far, I have been proven refreshingly wrong!

I like the greater sensitivity exhibited in your second drawing of the hand. It's tough to keep up a certain level of concentration, but certainly well worth the effort.

Thanks for posting this, and, as always, the more studies you do, the better! :)

~Rebeccak

Margie
09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Rebecca, I thought too that digital would somehow be more difficult or not as good as pencil. I worked a little ahead, because I couldn't wait to do the upside down Picasso. I got nervous about doing the drawing in Painter and took a pencil instead. After that, I did the same exercise in Painter. I could be mistaken and the digital one was the second, so I had some practise, but in my opinion the digital one is more "flowing" and less cramped than the pencil drawing.

In fact, further on in the book is an exercise (page 89) to draw something very complex without looking at the hand doing the drawing. This is somewhat similar to digital drawing, it is for me at least. I look at the screen and not at my hand. Could it be that this has a similar effect as the exercise described? I.e. forcing the L-Side "to turn down the job"? Interesting.

Margie

Smedro
09-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Rebecca, thank you for your nice response. :) I also like the drawing of the hand more than the faces. In my opinion that applies to most of my "classmates" too. Is it easier to draw hands?

I followed the discussion about the media we're using. Is there something wrong using a wacom?

Margie, I think the crucial point of that exercise is that you have no visual control of what your hand is doing. I guess when you turn off your monitor it will have the same effect as described in the book. :D

lostartist
09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Self-portrait on left, 20 minutes
Some werd chick on the right :), 20minutes.
The hand took about 15minutes.
I used painter for this and a wacom.
Think Im going to pickup a pencil and try it that way to.

Rebeccak
09-16-2005, 03:45 PM
I look at the screen and not at my hand. Could it be that this has a similar effect as the exercise described? I.e. forcing the L-Side "to turn down the job"? Interesting.

Margie,

That is actually very interesting! I never thought about it that way, but you could be right... :)

lostartist,

Thanks for posting your work! Look forward to seeing your digital pieces as well. :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
09-16-2005, 09:28 PM
woot!! Cool work everyone! It's really great to see everyone's different styles and level of ability. It feels so good working together like this :)

Thanks again :)

Overchord
09-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Hi guys

a VERY late entry for me - hope its ok - I saw the group- and was in my local bookstore looking for some tutorial books and went home with the one that this thread is all about (having read the thread before going shopping i might have been slighty swayede in my opinion already :D )
So I hope you don't mind me posting the outcome of the first three exercised a little late.
I started sketching a long time ago and did alot of cartoon work but dropped it completely about 6 years ago, and are just getting back into it again. I have taken the jump to digital now and part of taking part in this exercise is for me to (re-) acquaint myself with drawing and on a new medium. My skills are very limited and leans completely towards the cartoons, so this should be healthy for me :) The first three exercises below are all done on a wacom. I find that what i miss most about paper is the possibility to "smudge lines" when you draw them a bit too strongly during the sketching. Obviosuly there is a smudge tool in PS, but not quite the same! Anyway - enough blabbering from me - here are the first 3 attempts

Self portrait
http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/selfp.jpg

Person drawn from memory (my boss - not very great liking at all)

http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/memoryportrait.jpg

And finally - my hand (proportions are quite oof )

http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/Myhand.jpg

Now that I've got the book - I should be able to stick on schedule with the rest of the exercises :)

monkwan
09-17-2005, 02:43 AM
rebecca,

thanks for the encouragement.

i forgot which exercise it is, so i post another one done today.
percil on watermark paper, 15 minutes.

http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/17_1517103_1.jpg

monkwan
09-17-2005, 01:39 PM
it is the exercise from chapter two, switching from L-mode to R-mode.

sketchbook pro 30 minutes

in the book, it didn't mention that i should look for the proportion relation, but i did in my drawing. carefully fixing related size(length) of different lines.

http://www.5d.cn/bbs/uploadFiles/2005-09/17_1517436_1.jpg

catamount
09-17-2005, 04:08 PM
very cool drawing.

my book arrived wednesday, its now saturday, they put it in the garage. :) which is good. too lazy to walk to post office. left a calling card in the outside mail box. which i dont have the keys for :) well i do have them somewhere but if i find them the box still wont open.

just a quick note to say the VHS is alot different from the book. get the book.

hi everyone.

edit: get the 2001 version too

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 04:23 PM
monkwan,

No problem! Great to see more work of yours! :thumbsup:

schnappy,

Just sent you an email. Congrats on getting your book! :)

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-17-2005, 08:19 PM
since i couldn't work on the computer today (the weather was too good so i had to get to the pool :D ) i've redone a hand drawing... and i thought why not post it...

so here we go...

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/hand2.sized.jpg

looking forward to the next exercise.

and since i didn't say it yet: Thanks to rebecca and shaun for this great workshop!!! :thumbsup:

cheers!

BernieK
09-17-2005, 08:39 PM
monkwan:

i think your exercise came out pretty damn good!!! :thumbsup:

it almost looks like a copy of the drawing in the book... do we have a little cheater in here or what :scream:

kidding, great work!!!

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 08:45 PM
BernieK,

I've got nothing against extra work :thumbsup: ~ happy to see your post! :)

~Rebeccak

duck21
09-17-2005, 09:52 PM
hi, first time posting at cg forums. Saw this post and thought it was an excellent opportunity to improve my drawing.
Anywho, these are the first lesson drawings, my portrait, hand and friend.

http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/portrait.jpg
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/hand.jpg
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/friend.jpg

duck21
09-17-2005, 09:57 PM
hi first time poster, I don't know what happened to my previous post, but here it is again.
I am excited about this drawing workshop! here are my first lesson drawings

http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/portrait.jpg
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/hand.jpg
http://imagearts.ryerson.ca/hchoi/friend.jpg

catamount
09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
some nice drawings. i have responded to your e-mail rebecca, thanks. :)

Rebeccak
09-17-2005, 11:51 PM
schnappy,

Hmm, haven't seemed to receive your email ~ you can email me directly at:
rebeccak4@gmail.com.

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Yeah! Your portaits are very impressive, duck21.

catamount
09-17-2005, 11:58 PM
yeah i was typing as i post or the otherway around. :scream:

Rebeccak
09-18-2005, 12:24 AM
schnappy,

ROFL, I'm fast on the draw like that. :) I sent you an email...let me know if you receive it. :)

~Rebeccak

catamount
09-18-2005, 12:29 AM
lets hope it comes out like one of the results at the end of the course :), some drawings have a habit of "getting lost in the scan" :p

thanks

igorsandman
09-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Hello,
I have a question, sensei. Is the exercise 2 the Face-vase drawing #1? I'm asking because I've got the first edition of the book and on page 50 there are no exercice. I saw someone posting the reveresed drawing of Stravinsky exercise while it's said in the instructions that we have 5-6 minutes to do it. So i'm a bit confused.
Thanks. :)
cheers.
-IS-

catamount
09-18-2005, 05:11 PM
yep, VHS i have is 1st edition. recommend getting the 2001 edition. USA it can be had for as little as $3 used. UK its £10 from amazon.

Overchord
09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Is the exercise 2 the Face-vase drawing #1? I'm asking because I've got the first edition of the book and on page 50 there are no exercice. I saw someone posting the reveresed drawing of Stravinsky exercise while it's said in the instructions that we have 5-6 minutes to do it. So i'm a bit confused.
-IS-

Hi Igor,

I have the New Edition of the book, and the exercise on page 50 is the one with the Face-vase drawing :)

igorsandman
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jens.

Ok so here is mine:

http://www.igorsandman.net/drawing/vase.jpg

My impressions:
When I started to draw the righthand profile of the first vase, I felt confused. At first I thought I couln't possibly do it, but I started to mimic the lefthand profile and I felt more confident at once. It's wierd how I could feel the conflict between my two brain hemispheres. I did the second vase completely confident. I'm now part of the Right Hemisphere Liberation Front! :D

Bye.
-IS-

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Igor S,

ROFL!!! The RHLF has begun! Great to see your work here. :)

~Rebeccak

Margie
09-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Igor, lol @ Right Hemisphere Liberation Front. CMI too!

Anyhow, face/vase: At first I didn't have much trouble doing the exercise, and then I realized I automatically switch to trying to see edges and shapes rather than objects. But I really wanted to experience this block and did another one, while saying the names of the facial features out loud. At that point I stopped looking and drew whatever I thought a nose, mouth etc should look like. Weird.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/236/bigvf7jz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Digital Picasso, anyone? Lol, my bf said it looked more Picasso then a Picasso.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4712/picasso6wa.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Margie,

Wow!! I think your bf was right, this is really a great drawing! :thumbsup: Great stuff, look forward to seeing more of your work! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Guys,

I just received an email from Shaun today apologizing for his absence from this thread.

Shaun wrote:

"Hi everyone I am deeply sorry for my lack of interaction over the past few days. Due to a recent accident I currently do not have a computer (it was very nicely damaged by a generous soul) and do not expect to have one for several days/till next week. I am deeply disappointed in the recent turn of events (mine of course) but these are the curves that life throws at us and it would be pointless to get angry....instead my thoughts should be focused on getting my family and of course getting my new gear delivered, assembled and running. I will check the forums every couple of days at my local library or Kinkos. See you guys soon and sorry if I have set any of you back. I promise to get things back to normal as soon as possible."

~~~

Shaun says he is ok but just trying to get back on his feet right now. Thanks for everyone's patience and understanding.

In the meantime, I am happy to fill in the gaps and comment on everyone's great work. :thumbsup:

We wish you the best, Shaun! :)

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-20-2005, 12:55 AM
First of all I'm sorry for Shaun. Cheer up!

Then I would like to say that for me it's quite difficult to express my thoughts in english. :blush: I'm able to read but grammar and all... Sigh! When I write complete rubbish then please send me a PM or something like that and give me the chance to learn and to correct the mistakes.

Now to the face/vase exercise. It was exactly the same as Igor and Margie have described it. When I tryed to follow the line, then it was not that difficult. When I was drawing I thought things like "down, now left and a little down, more left, stop ... and so on" But it was strange when I realized that I'm drawing a face.

http://tinypic.com/dvnipy.jpg

BTW .. May I join the RHLF?

Cheers!
Smedro

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Smedro,

ROFL! You are completely welcome to join the RHLF! :)

Great work ~ very smooth and well~considered. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

And your English is great! :)

~Rebeccak

Dracofodder
09-20-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm waiting on my book to arrive, but I hope I can still chime in with what appears to be the first lesson.

I have a lot to learn.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/285/selfsketch9ee.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1551/hand4ni.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Margie
09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Rebecca, Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed this exercise very much and learned a lot from it, mostly to slow down and really look at the object carefully.
Today was my lucky day. I went to a second hand bookshop to look for a book on anatomy. They didn't have any, but they had "learning from the old masters" by Joseph Sheppard (it has another title now, How to paint like the old masters (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/082302671X/104-8940701-1107912?v=glance) ) with techniques from Dürer, Titian, Veronese, Carravagio, Rubens, Hals, Rembrandt and Vermeer.
I want to practise this newly gained insight and I'm going to attempt a Master Copy. (Praying Hands - Dürer)

Sorry to hear about Shaun, hope everything will be fine for him soon.

Smedro, welcome to the RHLF! I like the flow of your lines very much.

Dracofodder, welcome to the club, good to see your work!

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Margie,

You're welcome, great to have you along! If you do decide to do Master Copies (which I think is fantastic) I hope you will post them here:

Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257446)

Some great work there! Definitely check it out. :)

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Rebecca,
thank you for your encouraging words. You are a very good teacher!! :thumbsup: I read most of your threads and I think you enjoy to teach, you enjoy to share knowledge. I appreciate this very much.

Margie,
thank you too. :) I was a little bit surprised about your post, because there was nothing special in my last picture but your Picasso ... just wow! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to your Dürer drawing. That's one of my favorite drawings of hands!

Dracofodder,
I want to welcome you too. It's a nice self-potrait and you're so well-dressed. :D

I hope I can do the Picasso exercise on Thursday. I'm looking forward to do this. It will be fun. Yeah!

Cheers!
Smedro.

PS: Right Hemisphere Liberation Front rulez :buttrock:

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Smedro,

ROFL, indeed the RHLF does rule! :thumbsup: Thanks for your kind words, and it's fun to have everyone along. :)

~Rebeccak

igorsandman
09-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Hello,
I don't know if we can post the next exercise already. Anyways, I can't control my right hemisphere anymore, so here is my Stravinsky portrait. Man! I scanned it upside down. The worst is I'm not sure if I did so because my right hemisphere overtrone the left bastard or if it's because I'm stupid. :D
Anyways here it is:

http://igorsandman.net/drawing/stravinsky.jpg

The Right Hemisphere Liberation Front shall rise comrades.
-IS-

PS: I did a couple of other drawings upside down as adviced in the book. I draw better that way. I think I'll never draw right side up again. Hey, I'll even turn my PC monitor up side down too!

Smedro
09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Igor, very cool drawing. :thumbsup:

ROFL @ battle of the hemispheres.

I think I'll never draw right side up again.

That could cause problems if you want to draw real people. I mean .. maybe they feel uncomfortable to pose that way. :D

lostartist
09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Igor, very cool drawing. :thumbsup:

ROFL @ battle of the hemispheres.

That could cause problems if you want to draw real people. I mean .. maybe they feel uncomfortable to pose that way. :D

Haha thats pretty funny.

Margie
09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Igor, that is a big improvement!:thumbsup: Did you also try the knight on the horse? I've never been good at drawing horses and especially not foreshortened like that, but this one came out surprisingly well.

Perhaps you can advise your models to take up yoga. I've heard standing on the head is very beneficial for the pituary gland. :D

DorkmanScott
09-21-2005, 11:04 PM
FINALLY got my book and read through to where the exercises start. Got a lot of catching up to do!

I'll hopefully get the first exercises up by tonight.

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 11:09 PM
DorkmanScott,

Great to hear! Look forward to your posts. :)

~Rebeccak

minchu
09-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi Friends,

I found this book at my place Pls scroll down to see this book. The cover looks different and I dont know about the content. Can anybody suggest me about this

http://www.sapnaonline.com/frm_main.asp?id=D6X73dY5j5&prod_type=A

Thanks

Rebeccak
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
minchu,

If it is not this book:

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/isbn=0874774195/)

then it is not the same book. :)

I just replied to your message, so hopefully that helps. :)

~Rebeccak

Purc
09-23-2005, 12:58 PM
The Right Hemisphere Liberation Front shall rise comrades.
-IS-

PS: I did a couple of other drawings upside down as adviced in the book. I draw better that way. I think I'll never draw right side up again. Hey, I'll even turn my PC monitor up side down too!

Haha good one.

Dracofodder
09-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Lesson 2.

I don't know if I was forgetting the names of the parts in this method, or not. But, in order for me to draw this at all, I had to keep looking from side to side and try to force my hand to mirror what I was seeing on the left.

Not completely symmetrical, but its close. I can understand the explainations later in the chapter, and I believe I was just bypassing the names of the parts and focusing on the curve shapes instead.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2431/vaselssn29bu.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Dracofodder,

It's really interesting to read about peoples' reaction to this exercise...it seems most people are quite shocked at how they have to think about things as they do this drawing.

Good to see your work here! :)

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Wow, that was not easy. I've tried it on Thursday but I couldn't focus on the exercise. Today was my 2nd try and it was much better, but I have no idea how someone can do that in one hour.

http://tinypic.com/dyoxhs.png

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Smedro,

Nice work here! It's probably not uncommon to attempt this exercise more than once...after all, the purpose of the book is to teach you how to see and draw in a different way, so it's natural that it should be difficult. Great to see your post! :)

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-25-2005, 10:30 PM
uh, i'm late for this exercise :D ...

haven't had time for it this week. i've done the exercise today, gonna post it tomorrow...

cheers!

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 10:39 PM
BernieK,

No worries...our little Workshop here has been thrown off a bit by Shaun's unfortunate absence ~ we miss you, Shaun! :) So...in truth if you guys would like to extend this exercise til the end of next week, that is perfectly fine with me. :) I've seen only a few posts so far for this round, so let's give it another week and see who posts. :)

Definitely post your work, guys!!! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Overchord
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Well here's my version of the vase/face thingy :)
When i was saying the names of the parts of the face i found myself stalling around the nose section, and either had to stop dead drawing the line or stop saying the parts. It tried it a couple of times, and it kept happening. Eventually, the drawing started getting worse (!) and i had to swithc looking at the outline/vase shape to cope.

http://www.overchord.net/cg/albums/userpics/10001/Vase.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Overchord,

Lol, it's so funny to read these accounts of how difficult it was to do this exercise...not that I'm laughing at anyone, it's just really interesting to see how much this exercise takes people by surprise. :)

Great to see your exercise here, and look forward to more!

~Rebeccak

jgr77777
09-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Here is my vase face drawing. This concept first struck me when I was a wee tot. I was at the annual Texas State Fair and I saw this image on a fluttering flag/banner. I got the concept that it was a double image, a vase and a face, and thought that was so cool. So, I began drawing it over and over. Unfortunately for this exercise, I had drawn it so many times as a kid that I think it now does not affect me the same way it might if I had never drawn it before. The main thing I have trouble with is getting the mirror images to match unless I draw just one and then trace it for the other side. I didn't cheat this time; hence, the halves don't really match very well.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/jgr77777/Vase-Face.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
jgr77777,

Hey there, I don't think you have to worry so much about 'perfection' ~ as long as you understand the concept, that is the key bit to get out of the exercise. To a certain extent, these are a bit like magic tricks, and once you've seen them and know how they work, they're not as effective...but hopefully future exercises will pose more of a challenge for you. :)

Good to see your work here, and hope to see the next exercise soon!

~Rebeccak

jgr77777
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Okay, I'm flooding today with two posts. Actually, I did both of these about two or three weeks ago. Then, I stopped reading the book because I was getting too far ahead. I think now I'm more in sync with the group.

This exercise was quite intriguing and instructive. I had to re-start it a couple of times all for the same reason. I would start the drawing too close to the top of the paper so that when I got to Igor's head, I would run out of room. Actually, my real problem is proportion. I always started the drawing in the same place, Igor's right shoulder. I would work counter-clockwise, leaving the head for last. As I got to the bottom of the drawing, the perspective/proportion seemed to improve, but it's obvious that the right shoulder/arm is way out of proportion with the rest of the drawing. I think I should call this "After El Greco After Picasso Igor Stravinsky" because of the enlarged/distorted right shoulder/arm.

At any rate, this was very fun.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/jgr77777/After-Picasso-Igor-Stravins.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 07:12 PM
jgr77777,

ROFL, I would not consider 2 appropriate posts 'flooding' by any means. :) Great to see this exercise as well, and I agree, it is probably better to keep in sync with the pack, even if it means slowing down a bit. :)

Good stuff, we're still going to go til the end of this week for this exercise, then start the next. :)

~Rebeccak

default-rol
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I guess that it must be time for this exercise then? :shrug:

Here goes...

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1254/picassocopy9gf.jpg

Is Shaun still having technical problems???

MIKE

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Mike,

Yes, I haven't heard from Shaun since that last post...he was basically unable to get online, so I don't know exactly what his status is at the moment. I'm hoping people will be posting this exercise thru the end of this week ~ after which, I'll try to regroup and try to get things back on track. Sorry for the problems, guys, but you're still doing good work ~ so hang in there. :)

~Rebeccak

silversilk
09-26-2005, 09:21 PM
1) UAUUUUUU, that's probably one of the best threads I've ever seen. I just couldn't believe when I found and spent my whole afternoon reading every topic. Good job plp, I really love these first drawings from this awesome book, and your are coming out extremly nicely ( lots of adverbs at my grammar ).

2) Anyways, since I only saw this thread today, could I join the workshop a little bit late? I have free time tomorrow morning so I can really put some effort and try to catch you guys up.

3) I have the old version of the book. Would it be a problem?

4) I read this book about 6 or 7 years ago, while I was attending Architecture school. I think at that time I didn't have an artist eye ( though I still think I don't have, but now I think a little bit more artistically ) and I'm pretty sure I didn't take the exercises as far as they can go. I can say that I learned how to draw more freely and that helped me a lot in school. I was also responsable for a very busy workshop for the Perspective subject which I passed what I've learned on the book forward. But after school I totally stoped practicing and know I think my drawing skills are very rusted.

5) So I ask you, should i attemp this workshop? I mean, I would say I learned how to draw with this book, how to make my Right Side take over. it's just that I haven't practice for a while.

6) My goals are to leanr how to draw the human figure by memory.

Sorry for this really long post, but after reading this whole thread I got really excited and couldn't control myself :hmm: .

Thx a lot and hope to learn with you all.

Cristiano

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Cristiano,

You are absolutely welcome to join in at this 'late' date. :) Feel free to post drawings as you can, and we'll take a look at them and see how you're doing. I think the old book is quite similar to the new, so you should be fine, at least for the first few chapters. If they're a little different, that's fine too, it's perfectly acceptable to do the exercises in the book which you have.

Look forward to having you in the class!

~Rebeccak

Smedro
09-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Wow today is posting day. :applause:

I must admit I am a little bit confused. The more face/vase exercisees I see the more do I believe that I did something wrong. Everyone has drawn both sides. Hmm ... I understood the exercise that we have to go over the already drawn lines, naming the parts and then draw the other side. That's what I did. :shrug: I don't want that anyone believes I'm cheating. I got the template from Betty Edwards' page (http://www.drawright.com/vaceface.htm).

To atone for it I post my second upside down drawing.
http://tinypic.com/e04hh2.png

Stupid little Smedro.

Rebeccak
09-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Smedro,

Lol, Not so stupid little Smedro ~ this is a great drawing! You know, there's always room for atonement, so if you feel like doing additional drawings...post 'em up! :thumbsup:

Great stuff!!

~Rebeccak

Dracofodder
09-27-2005, 03:58 PM
I thought we were still on the face/vase exercise.

Ahh well, this is my first attempt at the upside down drawing. I started at the top (bottom) and worked my way down. Fingers and face, was hard, because I "knew" what they were, no matter how much I moved around to other parts of the page.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/479/lesson3mansketch4th.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Interesting as I look at my image now today, I see as I worked my way down the page, my line strokes became stronger, and darker. Almost like I was afraid or timid at putting the pen to the page in the begining.

Overchord
09-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Overchord,

Lol, it's so funny to read these accounts of how difficult it was to do this exercise...not that I'm laughing at anyone, it's just really interesting to see how much this exercise takes people by surprise. :)

Great to see your exercise here, and look forward to more!

~Rebeccak

Hehe Rebecacak, that is quite all right
I don't mind if you laugh at me - in fact given the level of confusion I encoutered - I would almost expect it! :D

Rebeccak
09-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Dracofodder,

Great stuff! It's quite interesting to read everyone's comments about this exercise. Yes, I think it's like a magic trick that can wear out...but it looks as though you've used this exercise well!

I apologize for any confusion with respect to this Workshop. I remain committed to it, but Shaun's unfortunate absence has rather made the process less smooth, for which I apologize. I am hoping he will be back online and happily joining us soon! :)

I am hoping to take a lengthy look at this Workshop this weekend, and try to get things back on track. Please bear with, as I think you guys are doing a fantastic job!

Overchord,

Lol! :scream:

silversilk
09-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Well, these are my drawings for the firts excercise.

This is me looking at a mirror:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/silversilk/CGTalk/rosto_cris_01.jpg

This was supposed to be my girlfriend from memory ( after looking at a picture ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/silversilk/CGTalk/rosto_monique_01.jpg

And finally my hand:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/silversilk/CGTalk/mao_01.jpg

That's it for now.

Cristiano

PS: I've trying to get an used Intuos 9x12 from eBay, but it's been difivult ( money issues as always ). But can't wait to try it digitally.

Rebeccak
09-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Cristiano,

Great to see your work here! Hope to see more from you when you get your tablet. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

lostartist
09-30-2005, 03:30 AM
Here is my try at the upsidedown drawing.
It might not be ass good as the others but I dont know, it got kind of big or something :).
Im not going to post the vase/face drawing because it looks like all the others.
Im not really sure Im using my right side yet... The vase drawing did not confuse me that mutch.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/l0startist/Right%20side%20of%20the%20brain/upsidedown.jpg
I used painter for this.

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 03:33 AM
lostartist,

It's not really about how 'good' your piece came out with respect to others'...with the one exception of the small head size, I think the actual drawing of the piece came out quite well. :) It's fine if you don't post your vase exercise. I think what matters is that you've done this exercise, and thus given yourself a chance to see something in a new way. The goal is that this will inform your drawing ability down the line. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

BernieK
09-30-2005, 07:46 AM
hi there!

after 5 days back online! well, a 3 gig downloadlimit seriously sucks!!!

as for the exercise, i did the face/vase drawing but, as lostartist, i'm not gonna post it since it really is exactly the same as the others.

somehow i didn't experience those confusions as much as everybody else. i did it 4 times (i thought i must be doing something wrong), but no confusion at all. :shrug: only when i did it the first time i struggled when i came to the nose, but only for an instant...

gonna post the upside-down drawing later today, but now i have to get under my car and repair that f&*#$r :scream:

cheers!

BernieK
09-30-2005, 10:32 AM
ok, the car had to wait :)

here is my upside-down drawing:

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/upsidedown.sized.jpg

it was pretty hard to make the first few strokes, but then i fell into kind of a trance and it was quite easy until i came to the head. there i suddenly "woke up" and it was very difficult again.

weird, i just finished drawing and i struggle to write a simple sentence... WAKE UP L-MODE!!! :scream:

cheers!

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 03:03 PM
BernieK,

ROFL, you guys crack me up! :) I'm happy to know that you like me have your priorities straight and have put drawing before car repair...Lol! :scream:

Good to see your work, and you've done a nice job! No worries about not posting your other work...but it's nice to see the concentration in this piece.

May the computer gods favor you! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

stipick_S
09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi everybody,

I am soooo sorry ( I was in a bit of a car accident...what are the chances!) that I had to bug out on you guys for a bit there, but I am back with 2 new computers and and ready to go. I hope you guys can forgive me and I am ready to dive right back in, if you will have me. I will look through the posts later today and send you all some feed back. Sorry again guys...

Thanks,
shaun

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Shaun! *cries with relief* We're so glad you're back! :) We've definitely missed your presence around here, as our little group here has had to put up with me as substitute ~ the threw spitballs at me, I swear! :) Nah, it's been fun, but I am glad to hear you have not one but TWO computers to ensure that you will be stable~ly online. :)

Hope all is well and that there are no other repercussions from your incident. :)

~Rebeccak

lostartist
09-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Welcome back Shaun! and hope you are alright.

BernieK
09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
great to have you back shaun!

i did the other upside-down drawing aswell. i'm pretty happy with the result! never thought that i could draw a horse alright...

http://www.pixelzone.org/gallery/albums/album26/rider.sized.jpg

cheers!

Sp1ice
09-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Man.. How did I miss this thread.. now I will have to put my homework on hold and start working on this... can someone please add about 7 more days to the week and another 24 hours to the day so I can do everything I need to do now.. :scream:

igorsandman
10-01-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey Shaun, welcome back, comrade. We've ben missing you :) Hope everything is fine for you now.
Take care.
-IS-

default-rol
10-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Shaun,

Car accident... you o.k.? Sounds pretty serious - and here I was thinking it was a dodgy computer.

Hope to see you around the forum soon

MIKE

Dracofodder
10-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I did a little more upside down drawing practice. I'm guessing that the point of the exercise is to examine and draw the details. If we don't miss any details then the picture as a whole will turn out. (??)

Even so, I noticed my own reversion to scratchy lines, multiple times over the same location to get the approximation of the area I was drawing. Whereas the others that have posted seem to have done solid, single pass line drawings. (And the example in the book too)

Is there a specific method we should be striving for? eg. single pass flowing line, scratchy mutiple pass, or something else altogether.

I could certainly see taking my existing drawing and cleaning it up a lot, but I'm not sure if that's the direction you intend us to take. (I'm using electronic medium, so doing that on layers would be fairly easy)

Or is this worry over nothing? (eg. just shut up and draw :) )

EDIT >> Redid the exercise...

First attempt (scratchy lines)
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/170/lesson3b7hl.th.jpg (http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lesson3b7hl.jpg)

Second attempt (trying to maintain solild line, single strokes)
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7251/lesson3bc7es.th.jpg (http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lesson3bc7es.jpg)

This second attempt required more concentration, though I am still a long ways from being happy with my results. This is very hard, more difficult than the man in a chair.

Rebeccak
10-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Dracofodder,

The point isn't to have a beautiful clean drawing necessarily ~ it's definitely not to practice cleaning it up in Photoshop. :) You've done a great job here, but might I suggest re~attempting the exercise without using scratchy lines? I've nothing against scratchy lines in principle, but I think in a way, when you lift your pencil to go back over an area you've already done, you've lost your concentration a bit. I think you will get a cleaner drawing if you do the exercise (and I know this is probably hard) without much lifting the pencil to go back over lines which you have already created.

Hope you have time to do this, as I think it may be enormously beneficial. :)

And no, you should never just 'shut up and draw'. :scream:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Basie
10-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi all. Here is my Stravinsky. I know the lines haven´t the right size in most cases, i drew it with the left hemisphere in the major part of the drawing, i think.

I made too the vase/face exercise but i don´t show it cause i think its only for experiment anything new, and i experimented the confusion a bit.

Sorry for my criminal (horrible) english.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/basie3d/LDC/Stravinsky.jpg

-David-

Rebeccak
10-03-2005, 04:47 AM
David,

Good to see your work! :) Looks like everyone is doing a great job! Trust me, your English is way better than my Spanish. :)

~Rebeccak

BernieK
10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
have i missed the brief for the next exercise or is that still to come? please say it's the childhood-drawing :bounce: haha!

anyways, have a nice monday everyone :scream:

cheers!

igorsandman
10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Even so, I noticed my own reversion to scratchy lines, multiple times over the same location to get the approximation of the area I was drawing. Whereas the others that have posted seem to have done solid, single pass line drawings. (And the example in the book too)

If you don't feel confident with your lines, one thing you might want to try is to ghost your line before you drop it, that is make the movement several times without having your pencil touching the paper. Then drop your line.
Also there is a basic exercice that might be usefull to you: take a pice of paper and draw two dots about 5 centimetres away from each other then try to connect them free hand (without ruler). Do it several times and as you feel more and more confortable, make the initial dots further away from each other.

Those two simple things helped me a lot. It might not work for you though :)
Cheers.
-IS-

Basie
10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
If you don't feel confident with your lines, one thing you might want to try is to ghost your line before you drop it, that is make the movement several times without having your pencil touching the paper. Then drop your line.
Also there is a basic exercice that might be usefull to you: take a pice of paper and draw two dots about 5 centimetres away from each other then try to connect them free hand (without ruler). Do it several times and as you feel more and more confortable, make the initial dots further away from each other.

Those two simple things helped me a lot. It might not work for you though :)
Cheers.
-IS-

It seems interesting. I´ll try it. Thank you for the idea.

Rebecca: If you can understand me, then i feel good.jejeje, thank you for the pacience.

Ciao.

Rebeccak
10-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Rebecca: If you can understand me, then i feel good.jejeje, thank you for the pacience.
No worries. ;)

~Rebeccak

Dracofodder
10-03-2005, 05:13 PM
If you don't feel confident with your lines,

Thanks, I currently "don't" feel confident with my lines. I'll try this exercise out.

default-rol
10-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks, I currently "don't" feel confident with my lines. I'll try this exercise out.

Dracofodder,

Once you feel as though you can hit two points in space a little way apart, try moving the points further apart. Ghost it a few times, and then drop in the line in one smooth action. DON'T WORRY IF YOU MISS THE SECOND POINT! :D Whatever you do, don't redraw the line again if you miss, as it starts to look less professional having lines overlapping. :sad:

Once you can do this comfortably, try creating perspective cubes using one line strokes freehand. Then cross the faces from corner to corner on each face using single strokes so you get a centre point. From here you can start practicing elipses... This is of course basic penmanship skills that all illustrators, draughtsmen and industrial designers need to practice to improve their 2D visualisation.

Hope that helps some! :)

MIKE

xxtan2
10-04-2005, 06:26 AM
hey guys.. i have read this fantasic thread 3 days ago... then i realise it take 2 weeks+ to ship the book over to australia. That's where i live. :) However, i manage to borrow the book from my uni's library.

i have read 7 chapters in 2 days. i love this book. i love u guys (Rebeccak and Stick_S) who introduced this book to me.
Also i have done most of the exercises. i haven't got a scanner, but i will go to my friend's house to upload them let u guys have a look. :)

i m just here to say thank u all for the great thread.

Cheersss....

Rebeccak
10-04-2005, 06:34 AM
xxtan2,

Welcome to the forum! :) ROFL, I think it's Ms. Betty Edwards who deserves the thanks...her book has been instructing literally generations of beginning artists. I definitely recall struggling through her exercises. I think they were actually quite instrumental, at a certain level, for me. :)

Glad you can join us! Don't worry too much about the pace, we're pretty relaxed here. The purpose is to do the exercises as you can.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your work!

~Rebeccak

imax
10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi!

It was really exciting discovering this forum, then this thread and reading all the posts here. I am about to order the book and try to join as soon as possible. I always tried to start drawing at home in the evening, but the with a lack of ideas and no support from other like minded people around, I did not get far ;-)

So here is another chance. Looking forward to joining you soon.

Cheers,

Marcus

Sagii
10-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Oooo I am a beginner.. and I happen to own the book so Yeah. I am in! it seems that many weeks have passed, but Ill catch up. :scream:

Rebeccak
10-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Ines,

Awesome! We'd be happy to have you. :)

~Rebeccak

Sagii
10-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Okay I will be doing Exercise 1- tomorrow, selfpotrait, someone from memory and hand... are we in exercise 2 yet? I didnt see any notice of exercise 2 starting.. :) want to know how far behind I am. :D You should see my posts tomorrow night.

Rebeccak
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Guys,

I apologize for the delay in getting things back on track, but I have tried contacting Shaun without success...perhaps his computer is down? For those of you who have been faithfully following along, please use this and next week to post the next exercise, and I will continue to try to contact Shaun.

~Rebeccak

lostartist
10-07-2005, 04:44 PM
I think u doing a great job rebeccak, thank u for that!

Rebeccak
10-07-2005, 07:41 PM
lostartist,

Thanks!! :) But I do hope we see the return of Shaun soon. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Dracofodder
10-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Just so I'm working on the right exercise... is it the one starting on page 89? Meeting Edges and Contours?

Rebeccak
10-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Dracofodder,

Yep, that's the one. I am making some serious attempts to contact Shaun. Please work on this exercise for the next 2 weeks, and post your results. :) Good luck! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Purc
10-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi folks.

I am a bit late but here is my upside down drawing.
http://www.purc.nl/zooi/2D/Draw%20Right%20Lessions/Lession%202/UpsideDown_stravinsky.jpg

And here is my face vase drawing. I would like to share it with you, cause i really had some big trouble with it. This was my fived attempt of it and i was confused (as you maybe can see at top left) how to begin with it constantly (i am drawing with my left hand). Still after 5 times try to do it right.. i begin with the same stupid mistake on the top

I made 7 pieced of it.. but they al looks bad and didnt match the other part. This was the best one i had.

http://www.purc.nl/zooi/2D/Draw%20Right%20Lessions/Lession%202/vase_face.jpg

Going for the next lession tommorrow.

Cheers !

Rebeccak
10-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Purc,

Good to see your work here! :) I think you've done a great job with your top exercise, and I can understand the confusion with the vase exercise ~ I think it's the point. :) Looking forward to seeing your next piece! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Purc
10-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks rebbecka :)

Just a question..

What is the best thing to do while waiting for the next exercise? Because now i have to wait 2 weeks when i can do the next one. So i hear you thinking.. "Well go do the rest of it then, if you really want to do them now".

But i want to stay with the group so i wait. So my question to everyone here is.. what is the best think to do when you are learning to draw? Just take a sketch book to everywhere and draw whatever i see? Or do you have some other good advise that i can follow?

Thnx in advance..

Rebeccak
10-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Purc,

ROFL, yes, I think the best thing to do is to sketch ~ but better than that is to do small studies of household objects which you arrange in small mini~compositions and draw and shade.

Take a look at this Shading Tutorial:

TUTORIAL - Shading Techniques (Various Media) - by Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273928)

It describes a very straightforward approach to shading.

Also take a look at Slux's Shading Tutorial:

Slux's Shading Tutorial (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=281480&page=3&pp=15)

which is quite informative. In fact, check out his entire thread, as he is very dedicated to learning drawing on his own. His work ethic is quite inspiring! :)

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

GH33DA
10-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey guys!

I just wanted to say that I have been following along. I just haven't been posting anything. The truth is, between the book and you guys, I've been able to keep up.

Rebeccak
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
GH33DA,

Hey there, you ought to post! :) We'd be glad to see your work!

~Rebeccak