PDA

View Full Version : OPEN RLA RPF FILES? plz Help

naik
08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
hi guys,

im actually from the 3dsmax section, but hear comes my question.

Is there any possibility to open RLA or RPF files in Photoshop?
Pehaps an extension or a plugin to open such files.
Would be very handy to do that?

Any help appreciated

naik
08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Is there nobody , who knows what im talking about?
Or is it just a problem that there is no plugin for that?

I just cant imagine....

xsenos
08-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Is there nobody , who knows what im talking about?
Depends on what you want to do with them in Photoshop and in what format you want to export them. There shouldn't be a problem opening them if not directly then using some converter (http://www.gold-software.com/converter.html). Sorry, I have not the slighest idea where those file types are being used.

naik
08-19-2005, 03:51 PM
First thanks for the reply...

as i mentioned before, im actually from the 3D Corner (3DSMAX)

And in 3dsmax it is possible to export a rendered image as an
RPF / RLA File.
The special thing about that format is that it consists of several channel (subimages - like the alpha map)

I want to import / open such files with Photoshop, and i cant imagine that it is not possible.
Adobe After Effects got such a plugin.
Therefore there must be somethin to do that task.

The Converter Link you posted - i got this application but the strange thing is, that it doesnt open RLA / RPF files from Max.
And i can not image that this app is able to extract the several subchannels from that file, seems to me just to be a small app.

Any other solution or path??

xsenos
08-19-2005, 04:35 PM
From the research I did on the net, I understand that FLA/RPF files are mainly used for video composition programms (AfterEffects, Combustion, Flint) and this is due to Z depth information it can save (less often also Material ID, Object ID, UV coordinates). Now I understand how that could be used in compositing, but what is that you want to do with it in Photoshop?

Since I didn't find any Photoshop and RLA/RPF related information on the net, I feel like asking if you are sure you're not just looking the wrong direction? Are you sure TGA or other more common and Photoshop supported files wouldn't suit your needs?

Sorry if I'm not much of a help.

naik
08-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Sorry if I'm not much of a help.

Yeah!! What r you doin!!

HAHAH!!! Just kiddin man :)
Thanks, again seems that you are the only one who knows
now what im talking about.

but what is that you want to do with it in Photoshop?

Are you sure TGA or other more common and Photoshop supported files wouldn't suit your needs?

Explaning you my techniques to work in the 3D Area would be rather difficult.
But belive me, i know exactly what i want and what is possbile with these files imported in Photoshop.
If there is an exporter / converter who is able to export the channels would be great too.But i thought that there would just be a plugin for that import.

After i imported these files in PS i will definately go and save / export them as Tiff / Tgas or somethin else...

The main purpose is to have "all" channels in PS in order to tweak them and working on with the layer function. Later on sending them back to max for material / texture work....

If i google (Photoshop + RLA / RPF) its like beeing in the Desert searching for a tree, i think you know what im talking about.

So more and more i think there really isnt a plugin for that hmmm...

Then i have to look for an converter which can read such files and extract manually the channels....

xsenos
08-19-2005, 05:03 PM
From what I saw while browsing the net was that Maya and Max, for example, use different headers when exporting RLA files as well as handle the channels differently. Perhaps that was the case with the previously mentioned plugin and it would work if you tried to export the files different way - i.e. not using Max but an external Max plugin for this purpose or, if possible, try bringing the Max scene to another 3D application (Lightwave, Maya) to export RLA from them.

Well, anyway, just a guess, good luck!

naik
08-19-2005, 06:26 PM
if possible, try bringing the Max scene to another 3D application (Lightwave, Maya) to export RLA from them.

Of Course, that would be definitely an alternative.
Perhaps i will find another app for that job.

for example, use different headers when exporting RLA files as well as handle the channels differently

That is very interesting point and probably i will deal with that fact and perhaps will find a way to use that appl.

Anyway, thank you for your help mate, i really appreciate it :thumbsup: .

regards....

xsenos
08-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Anyway, thank you for your help mate, i really appreciate it :thumbsup:No problems! The thing is that three weeks ago I was at something like a job interview and the guy, while showing around the office rooms, pointed to a desk with a fancy looking 'PC' and nobody sitting at it and said: 'There's Flint', I had some doubts so I asked in return: 'Is Flint a guy?'

Since that I feel like I could benefit from gaining any extra knowledge about video compositing. :D

naik
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
'There's Flint', I had some doubts so I asked in return: 'Is Flint a guy?'

God damn it!!! HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!
My laugh was hearable til australia!

That a nice anecdote, really.

Since that I feel like I could benefit from gaining any extra knowledge about video compositing.

Yeah, thats true - you should (me too) alway try to learn more, even if it is not from ones subject.

Really nice Buddy :thumbsup:

Hope we see us here again...

Cheers...

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.