PDA

View Full Version : My new Pen Tablet!

Eddie_rossi
08-19-2005, 07:32 AM
I finally got a Pen Tablet, now what is the method people use to stretch mesh, and paint a texture for it? I really haven't got around to learning that, what do they use to stretch the mesh out flat, and what do they use to paint the mesh? Thanks for any help!

Phyrea
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Congrats on the pen tablet! I've never looked back at a mouse since getting my tablet. :D Well there's two steps to the texture painting really. 1) Creating your UV map. 2) Painting your texture for the UV map. Creating your UV map is the process of "stretching" the mesh out flat. If it's a simple mesh you can use the automatic settings for Planer, Cylindrical, Sphereical, or Atlas. However most organic or otherwise complex objects require you to do some of the work yourself. This can be done through an Endomorph. Create an endomorph and flatten out the mesh yourself (using all the regular tools that are at your disposal). Then create a UV from that endomorph. There are also some third party solutions to creating UVs. Unwrap3D seems to be the most promising one (however it is a commercial plugin). I've never used it myself, but you can read a little more about it here: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6362 There are also some great tutorials that ship with LightWave [8] and some located on NewTek's website. These can be a great starting point.

After making your UV map, you can paint your texture (using a ghosted screengrab from your UV viewport as a guide). This can be done in any painting program (Photoshop, Photo-Paint, Painter, etc).

You could also look into Bodypaint. Although I've never used it, I've heard good things about it.

Eddie_rossi
08-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Thank you phyrea you are the best!! :bounce: :bounce:

paul-banister
08-19-2005, 08:47 PM
i never understood or tried texturing my characters because uv mapping is way to tedious....that is untill i got bodypaint 2,v.nice piece of software,texturing my characters is easy now.ive just got a new tablet 2...wacom intuos 3(a4 size)...amazing!!! still dont like to use it 4 modelling thou.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.