PDA

View Full Version : Most under-rated artists?

paperclip
08-18-2005, 11:56 PM
I was browsing the internet and the thought struck me- how many underrated artists ARE there out there? Clearly hundreds, so I'd love to hear your opinions. Here are a couple of artists I think are underrated:

Emanuel de Witte (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/witte_emanuel_de.html)

and

Vilhelm Hammershoi (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hammershoi_vilhelm.html)

ashakarc
08-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Well, what makes you think they are underrated in the first place? As you may know, rating or recognition is measured by how much influence a certain artist will have among others. Having a master of paint could hardly justify success or recognition. Influence is key, as art is a social phenomenon afterall +:)

geo5sf
08-19-2005, 12:50 AM
the influence of an artist may not be felt or recognized for a really long time.. maybe until another generation of artists start to be influenced,,, I think the truly great artists are way ahead of their time.. and it's rare to have that innovation with widespread acceptance, because people don't understand. But there are the few who pull it off...

erilaz
08-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Under rated artists... how do you define that? Not well known, or known and just not appreciated?

Just trying to clarify before I start to post up people!:D

paperclip
08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Well, my thought was that they're just not appreciated enough...

AlyFell
08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Paperclip - Theresa, I agree with you about Vilhelm Hammersh°i. I love his work. :) Did you see the Michael Palin documentary about him recently on BBC 1?

paperclip
08-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I did actually! I was surprised that there was something about him on TV, being as how he's so underrated and all, but maybe having that program on him will bring him 'back' to the light.

The hippy colony part was funny though wasn't it? :D

Segvoia
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
In a broad stroke, I would say many skilled artists who paint in a representational or realistic style, of course this is if you are referring to "fine art" recognition. I think artists attracted to realism have found refuge in the illustration, film and gaming industries because of the lack of recognition they receive elsewhere.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.