PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting: Lonely, Dsedov (2D)

DSedov
11-02-2002, 09:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/30/DSedov_sfw001_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/30/DSedov_sfw001.jpg)

Some of you saw my last test. Here is another one before I start working on the final. This is a little different weather condition then my last matte, and I think it is a little more successful then my last one. I went a little further with this matte. I will have to work a little more on the forest though. Again all C&C's are welcome.

Here is a link to my previouse matte:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26433

Matte:
http://www.3dennis.com/cgtalk/sfw001.jpg

Original:
http://www.3dennis.com/cgtalk/sfw001original.jpg

DSedov
11-02-2002, 09:32 AM
Here is a detail shot:
http://www.3dennis.com/cgtalk/sfw001_detail.jpg

Array
11-02-2002, 09:50 AM
god DAMN thats good work. 5 stars my friend.

quinox
11-02-2002, 10:05 AM
O_O

impressive!

thats truly amazing

typeA
11-02-2002, 10:15 AM
:insane: :arteest:

lildragon
11-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Very nicely done DSedov, this shows some true patience and observation of the real world, nice indeed.

there however are a few things (but of course :))

- The snow looks like it recently fell and melted, most likely like a day old or less, but the Jeep kinda takes that away from the image here's why I think..

- There's snow on the top of the tires, but none on the road, and the road still appears to be wet, plus there's not "much" snow underneath the tires especially the rear one.

- the cross hatching in the Jeep's windows are a tad misleading, if they're suppose to represent the powerlines reflecting in the glass, then it's going the opposite direction :)

- finally the rear window is a bit to clean as it seems the jeep has been parked there for a bit, (going back to the snow on the tires) and there's no evidence of streaks in the glass from the wipers, plus if there was additional snow, it would begin to cover that spot ever so slightly ;)

nit-picking since it's such a great image, but all in all :thumbsup:

You have recieved the spanking new CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like :) congrats

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

stephen2002
11-02-2002, 01:19 PM
QUITE impressive! You seem to be good with the matte paintings. Can't wait to see what these are going to be used for!

MaDSheeP
11-02-2002, 02:42 PM
oh my god!

that is amazing work!

just.... awesome!

vfx
11-02-2002, 03:09 PM
This is superb work - bet it took some late nights!

Just a few questions...

Was this primarily done in a paint program. I ask this just cos i'm curious as to what you can actually do with it if you are using it in a film - surely you have to take motion into consideration - if this is a background matte then I understand.

Also, it would be nice if you could give us a breakdown into your method of working.

Nice work though!

Bet that blue house was a benefit to you!!!!

VFX

robin
11-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Whooow !! Amazing stuff, i open this link and i was stairing at the first picture and was thinking "What should i be looking at ?" i didnt realize it was painted ... hahaha ... awsome work Sedov ... great great attention to reflection on the car i Love it ...

Robin :D

wheezy360
11-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Everything looks very nice! Quite impressive! But there are a couple of things regarding how / where icicles form. I'm from Canada, plenty of icicles form here. :D Often times, large patches of icicles form around the corners of the eavestroughs, and as well sometimes if there are bends or damage to the troughs large patches will form there where water is more likely to drip down from.

Another note about the vehicle out front. It looks as though it had just been driven, considering the freshly wiped snow on the back window. Generally, it is common practice to dust off the snow on all your windows if you're going to drive safely. So, I would suggest having snow just around the edges of the window, making it look as if the snow was quickly dusted off by hand or snowbrush.

Very excellent work, I love it!

flamedevil
11-02-2002, 05:16 PM
wow !
first time i saw it i thought it was a photo or a 3d stuff :eek:

It's a very good work Dsedov.
Congrats. !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
11-02-2002, 05:16 PM
thats awesome! :buttrock:

Adam
11-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Looks really really great but....
Flowering plants in that weather.
Maybe a random huge cold front?

oh and that pine tree is duplicated.

just being picky

Gilgamesh
11-02-2002, 05:41 PM
That is freking awesome, Dennis. Really beautiful work. Some of the branches on some of the trees look disconnected, but you already said you need to work on the forest, so I assume you already knew that. Very nice stuff. :thumbsup:

alx
11-02-2002, 06:48 PM
imapressive work... no crits from my part really i think it works great.. i love the ay you removed all the bg elements.. very clean work!!

one question though... what motivated you to do this?

sincerely
alx
:wavey:

blindleader
11-02-2002, 06:54 PM
OK. I know nothing about matte painting...but wouldn't it have been good to fix the photo first, ie straighten the house up, it is leaning to the left and it annoys me. Other than that it looks fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

While I'm here...could someone explain matte painting to me in 25 words or less :rolleyes:

element412
11-02-2002, 07:01 PM
WOW ., excelellent . really believable..
the only thing i would have to crit is the fact the rear window of the car as a bit too much contrast between ''snowy and not snowy''
out of that its realy great..
element

Aaron
11-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Minor nitpicks:

Powerlines have a tendency to sag under the weight from snow -- not severly, but a perceptible amount of drop -- you may want to consider adding a small dip onto the powerlines =)

Some touchup on the Jeep's windows might be nice -- especially the back window -- the wiper pattern doesn't look right -- besides, snow tends to fall off when brushed like that -- it coheres more strongly to itself than to the window.

Some more snow on the driveway might help, too.

Anywho, BEAUTIFUL work.

Cheers,
-Aaron.

MysticDread
11-02-2002, 08:07 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Unbelievable patientce and skill.

:applause:

mv
11-02-2002, 10:50 PM
that's very strange. When you look at the zoomed in image you see how it looks handmade and unreal. But when you look at the whole image it's very believable and realistic. Reminds me of the impressionists.
Great work on the lightning. Cheers!

Wesball
11-02-2002, 11:47 PM
I once watched an interview with a famous "old school" matte painter... used paint and glass and all that good stuff.

He said the most important thing to making it look real was not to make lots of detail, but to make lots of noise and imperfection in color.

He mentioned the same as you, m@., that if you were to look at it up close ith looks like random smudges of unrelated colors but you reach a perfect distance and it magically takes to real life.

This matte is evidence of that... using new tools, but old methods... great job!

Question though.. the pictures have a video-like look to them like they are shot from a still digital camera... is the project going to be shot in film or video? Film definately has its own subtle, subliminal feel to it.

yellowworm
11-03-2002, 01:37 AM
beautiful.

what's a matte painting?

i mean how is one done?

is it a manipulated/painted photo or a paitning?????

Hysteria
11-03-2002, 01:46 AM
bloody amazing

mohh
11-03-2002, 04:46 AM
That's some great work you have there. I have only one more crit to add to the mix of the ones that have already been mentioned. In the original picture there are some bushes on the right side of the image. If you look closely at the final picture you will notice that you forgot to paint over the bushes on the right rear of the house.

santiago
11-03-2002, 06:35 AM
You guys didn't notice the green bushes that weren't erased on the far right end of the house?
It seems like he cropped them off the following wall to the left, but he forgot to erase them off the wall behind it, to our right hand side.
You can look at the reference photo and see which bushes they are.
The vehicle really stands out, especially for us Canadians that know what a parked car looks like in the snow. I can see that it's rally hard to paint snow on a photo, you don't just slit the photo with thin traces of white, it looks too pure. Snow gets dirty, especially with a totaly clean road like that, which means that the snow that was on the road had to go somewhere, and that dirty snow isn't white anymore, it's partly brown.

I think you should work a lot on the vehicle, the perfectly swiped back window calls attention. The trees look cloned, but I don;t think anyone cares about that, it's the snow that could become a problem for believability.

I also saw your previous matte, snow on a palm tree? It must be for a fiction theme.

But you know what, even though there are a few more flaws I noticed after 30 seconds of observation, I should say that I thought to myself this... if somebody quickly showed me this altered photo, would those details call my attention and wonder if it's actually real? I think not, I may have even overlooked the vehicle mistakes. At first glance, it totally feels like winter man!

BiTMAP
11-03-2002, 06:38 AM
I'll try to get you some snow photos, it's very similar weather here right now... So yeah i'll see what i can do.

BassoLTD
01-31-2003, 03:39 PM
WOW!

Great stuff. Let's see some more!

~Lawrence:surprised

Neil
01-31-2003, 04:55 PM
The car seems to be the biggest distraction... why not just paint it out? haha

Grendel
01-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Great matte... The few things I have noticed have already been mentioned I believe... the reflection of the tall hedge to our right in the photo still remains in the matte version, even though the hedge itself has been removed. This wouldn't have drawn my attention as much as it did if it were also "winterized", but the hedge is still bright and green in the window.

The flowering plants, both on the porch and outside the second story window were also distracting.

Garden hoses are rarely left out in winter.

And lastly the car, hopefully my fellow Canadian will send the reference pic's which were promissed.

Still a great job, and perhaps my anal critique is motivated more by envy than criticism.

Thanks
G.

Man
02-01-2003, 03:35 AM
great job man!!!!really caught my attention:buttrock:

alphastudios
02-01-2003, 05:31 AM
:bounce:
simply superb.

Pfister
02-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Man... this is one of the most amazing images that I've seen in a long time. Incredible standard!

lil' rothko
02-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Wow, really incredible work.:eek: :eek:

Do you paint directly into photoshop or do you actually paint onto canvas/paper?

Really nice stuff though.:applause: :applause:

uday
02-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Aaron
Minor nitpicks:

Powerlines have a tendency to sag under the weight from snow -- not severly, but a perceptible amount of drop -- you may want to consider adding a small dip onto the powerlines =)

Some touchup on the Jeep's windows might be nice -- especially the back window -- the wiper pattern doesn't look right -- besides, snow tends to fall off when brushed like that -- it coheres more strongly to itself than to the window.

Some more snow on the driveway might help, too.

Anywho, BEAUTIFUL work.

Cheers,
-Aaron.

I agree 100%...The street looks too clean for the amount of snow thats on the pavement...

nice work :applause:

Pinky_Powers
02-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Great work man. I love it. But I don't know that we should be able to see a flat horizon, there should probably be a hil or mountian or something back there. But great work none the less.

TumikSmacker
03-06-2003, 10:22 PM
im just wondering and im most likely wrong, but is this traced?

room61
03-07-2003, 12:24 AM
Hi

Great Work!!

But one question:
How many hours youre need for that stuff?

-------------------------------------

www.room61.com (http://www.room61.com)

fredconv
05-14-2003, 04:51 PM
i m dead in front of it !!!

Re arghhh

O_o

dazrenius
05-22-2003, 03:06 AM
Whoa!!!!! This gotta be a photograph...:bounce:

HuangLin
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
WOW! I like it!!!

pedro7
02-18-2005, 07:20 AM
loved, would it be nice to see another kind of car, an old one. jeje.

hmhoff
03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
very real, I think I've seen that house!

XYZRGB
03-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I want your skills man.
What do you .... have cameras for eyes or something ?

Perfect.

MorganRalston
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
I miss snow.... This picture reminds me of the trip to the Christmas tree farm.... I hope this comment puts this back on the top :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2005, 08:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.