PDA

View Full Version : Character SetUP with Poly+Sub Geometry

JellyFire
08-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi there.
I've made a character out of SubD's, but using up to 5 levels and creases, so I've converted the model to Poly's and got rid of a lot of useless polygons, basicly turning it into a medium level polygon model.
I'm going to also make a lowerPoly model out of it to use as my main animation rig.

What I am wondering is....
Can I use a SubD surface as my render Geometry?
And How I go about it...

The medium Poly mesh is going to be the polyCage of the sub, so would I constrain the Sub to the poly with (deformer I think) and just animate the medium mesh with blend shape and smooth skinning etc? then render out the SubD.

Or am I going to have to smoothskin the sub to the bones as well as the poly and then what do I do about deformers etc.???
And theres a case about the UV's etc//// :banghead:

So anyway, sorry for the ramble, all I need to know is can I use a subD as my render and the Sub's polycage as my medium geometry that I animate...
And what is the best way to go about that.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!
Later
* JellyFire *

king21
08-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Of course u can u can use wrap deformer to bind lo poly mesh to subdis, and than just make attr wich will swich between them,

So u can animate with lo poly, and render with subdis.

Simple

JellyFire
08-18-2005, 12:40 AM
GREAT!
I thought you would be able to, I just wanted to know before continued with my model.
So don't even have to bind the subD to bones, nor deform them, I just apply all the deformations to the lower poly base and it will automaticly deform the Sub>?
This sounds right, I just want to make sure.

Then for any of you TD Savvy people out there, is it possible to then write a script that automatically renders out the SubD while still getting the deformations from the lower poly mesh without rendering that??? Just by hitting the render button?

Thanks for confirming the SubD thing for me King21, it's a great peace of mind.
Later
JellyFire

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.