PDA

View Full Version : Ray Tracing and Radiosity

Mickeloviche
11-02-2002, 01:34 AM
I have a question for anyone who can help me: I'm sort of newbie to radiosity...is it necessary to raytrace shadows, reflections, refraction, and/or transparencies and use radiosity at the same time if I want to achieve a realistic image with say, a view of a wine glass within an enclosed room and some lights using caustics?

Thanks,
Mickeloviche

CIM
11-02-2002, 05:37 AM
Yes.

It's pretty simple. Think about what's going on in the scene and check the correct option. Is the Shadow Type set to Ray Trace? If so, enable the proper option in the Rendering tab. Will there be reflective objects--meaning some object(s) in your scene have a Reflection value higher than 0? If so, enable--and so on for the rest.

A few tips:
- Turn Ray Recurision Down low (3-4) normally is good. Up the value if you need more (say in a mirrored fun house).
-As Antialiasing goes up, turn Rays Per Evaluation down (radiosity).
- Use Ambient Intensity of 25-35% only in radiosity renders. Other times, it should be 0.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.