PDA

View Full Version : beveled edges, realism in mechanical modeling

CaptRuss
08-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Ok, I've been modeling for quite a while now, in just about every tool available. One thing thats always been for me a "too much" or "too little" factor is those bevels along the edges of manufactured surfaces. (see image)

now, I'm working on a vehicle, and I'm shooting for film quality photo real here. How far do you take those edges? Put a nice curved 8 row bevel on there? or do what I did, put in an edge to catch the light and use the shading to smooth around the edge?

Just wanted to get feedback and input from the modeling community.

Cheers.

JasonA
08-17-2005, 09:15 PM
well my take is to either use a bevel/fillet (which has a radius) or I use a chamfer (which has no radius). Not everything in mechanical modeling has rounded edges, which is something alot of people tend to forget. And in the case of using a bevel/fillet to break hard edges, I almost never use more than 3 divisions unless its a very large radius. I use the shading to soften it out from there.

bloggo_12
09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
well it really depends how far away u are from the object. a computer chip rendered at 90000 x 9000 or an ocean liner rendered at 100 x 100 ? tailor it for the job.

CGTalk Moderation
09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.