PDA

View Full Version : Best Method For Modeling A Car (for a first timer)

R-B
08-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm about to start my second project in maya, I've decided to go with a car. To make things easier I've sketched a vehicle similar in appearnce to the Ford F150 I have the side, top, back, and front...before I start I would like to know what are the approaches some of you take when dealing with car modeling. Do most of you start out with CV's or poly??

Night Hawk
08-17-2005, 08:39 PM
i say Nurbs :thumbsup:

Jonnydigitall
08-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Nurbs are always best for hard surface modeling. But, if you are an awesome poly modeler you can model in polys and convert to SUbD. Also ask yourself what your going for, a high rez, or low rez? Low rez, polygon. High rez, Nurbs:)

Prateek
08-22-2005, 09:02 AM
i kinda have the same question.When u make it with nurbs the curves dont come where or what you see in the view port

There must be a snap to curve option somewhere....

Jonnydigitall
08-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Well of course it depends on the software you use. In maya for instance, snap to curve is shortcut hold c

justynmagz
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Just a quick question for you guys...How long does it normally take to model a car? Im looking at doing one for my final demo reel at my college and we get 15 weeks to put things together, so would be good to know how long it would take me. Plus im a n00b too so..hah yah anyways thanks.

Prateek
08-26-2005, 01:36 AM
okay fisrt of all thats for the shortcut C coz i do use Maya

the following question is completely changing the topic so if i am disturbing the thread please reply on prateek9@hotmail.com .I am 16 yrs old and have completed my 9th so i will go to 10th now.I have a passion for CG and i want to persue it as my carrer so, if i do a diploma in graphic designing will it really help me .I want to drop off doing my formal education because of several reasons i cannot enlist here.Is the future for this industry bright?

Giuseppe
08-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I would recommend modelling a real car from blueprints first before you try to design one on your own. I modelled my first car from sketches for a class project a while ago. I ended up spending way too much time remodelling most of the car because I had no real-world reference on the propery way for me to define curves and edges. There were more problems, but the whole process took an entire semester and it didn't turn out as well as I hoped.

Now, after that experience, I re-did my original sketches, comparing them to a similar sized car (Lamborghini Murcielago) and made sure that my lines and curves were going the right directions and I wouldn't end up with any weird body panels and modelling problems. So far it's going very well.

BTW, since I'm using Max, I start off with a very rough spline cage. I apply a surface modifier to that and then convert that shell to an editable poly. Then I cut in lines and refine my surface to add depth to the individual panels and sharpen some of the edges. I use the NURMS subdivision option, but A meshsmooth modifier is pretty much the same thing.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.