PDA

View Full Version : I need help animating this low-poly character properly! Help?

frontjibi
08-17-2005, 04:49 PM
This figure is 231 polygons. So i couldn't put much detail in it. But i have the basic shape. I created it carefully mathching the origional polygons.

Here's origional

http://groups.msn.com/CaribbeanComicAssociationWalagraph/lordknows.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=546

And here is the patched one...
http://groups.msn.com/CaribbeanComicAssociationWalagraph/lordknows.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=545

Here's the front view.
http://groups.msn.com/CaribbeanComicAssociationWalagraph/lordknows.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=547

Since i'm done modeling it, i would like to animate it. I want to try make it move. Like run, walk, jump and so on. I know a little of animating in layout right now so i need alot of help.

First i need to create skelegons right? Could you tell me a proper way to set them up? And should the skelegons be in the same layer as the figure or a different layer?

And then you send the object to layout. Here i have trouble converting skelegons to bones. So Could you please tell me step by step on how to convert skelegons to bones properly?

And if i am able to convert skel to bones, will i still have my character and not just the bones?

Thanks a million if you could help me.

Eddie_rossi
08-17-2005, 07:05 PM
Go to Kurv studio's, register for free, then go to lightwave free tutorials, on the right is an AWESOME rig tutorial, it will show you everything you need to know for a simple rigging. I watched it a few times and I learned alot from it.

frontjibi
08-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Well i am done with the converting skelegons bones and all that. They are in place. But i have another problem. Why does my character looks awkward when i am trying to move parts of his body? Like i move his arm but it affects his body. His body and shoulder gets twisted.

Could you tell me a proper way of moving his body?

And yes i am also going check out that tutorial you've mentioned!

Eddie_rossi
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
It explains that in the tutorial man, trust me you want to watch it... The reason unwanted parts move when you try to move the leg for example, is because the bones have a certain radius of effect, you can make weight maps for the parts you want to move, add them to the bones, and that's the only part your bone effects.

frontjibi
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
yeah i noticed. That tut is great. I'll have to be watching that from time to time.

Eddie_rossi
08-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Do you know how to make a weight map?

frontjibi
08-17-2005, 09:44 PM
No but i would like to know what it is.

telamon
08-17-2005, 10:35 PM
buy reference books such as Inside LW 8, Gorden's book, LW Applied or Essentials LW. It should be more effective for you than waiting for hours potential replys to your threads here.

frontjibi
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Do i have to buy them online or is it possible that these books can be at bookstores?

bob143
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Most of the books mentioned above should be available in the bookstore. If your just interested in rigging and modeling, I'll highly recommend Gorden's book. I also have Inside Lightwave and the Essentials book also very helpful.

bakwudz
08-18-2005, 09:21 PM
No but i would like to know what it is.

the manual explains this.

frontjibi
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks, i'll check em' out.

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.