PDA

View Full Version : LA Times reveals pricing and package details for the Xbox 360

RobertoOrtiz
08-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Quote:
"According to news in the LA Times, Microsoft will release two Xbox 360 packages when the console is launched later this year. The basic package will retail for $299 and will not include a hard disk, nor will it include a wireless controller, instead shipping with a wired pad.

The second package will retail for $399 and will include a 20 Gb hard disk, wireless controller, wireless headset, Ethernet cable and remote control. No release date has been revealed, but a mid to late November date is expected."

>>Link<< (http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/nid/1300/)

-R

Stillwell
08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Quite a bit expensive, but it's still very appealing to buy the premium package, considering that a 20 gb hard-drive, a wireless controller, a component HD AV cable, and a remote controller all adds up to make a total of what... 100-150 dollars?

It's still a lot of money (600 canadian). Ouch.

mummey
08-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Quite a bit expensive, but it's still very appealing to buy the premium package, considering that a 20 gb hard-drive, a wireless controller, a component HD AV cable, and a remote controller all adds up to make a total of what... 100-150 dollars?

Well, compared to the original price for the X-box and the PS2, is it really? :shrug:

PaulAdams
08-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Pretty sweet pricing. £279 for the premium bundle. Cheaper than the original Xbox and you're getting more for your money.

Not sure if two versions is a good idea though, standardising is one of the up points of console gaming. Have to wonder if future generations will have even more versions of each console. Also, no HD in the cheaper bundle, very interesting, I guess the majority of devs won't be utilising it then.

Signal2Noise
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, I'm sticking the $399 console on my Xmas list!

Dirtystimpy
08-17-2005, 08:33 PM

i paid $630 canadian for my ipod this past winter and cringed!

LordShaitan
08-17-2005, 08:36 PM
To bad the HD version will be comming out next year, same with Gears of war which is the only game that is selling me that system.

heavyness
08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
To bad the HD version will be comming out next year, same with Gears of war which is the only game that is selling me that system.

HD version? the 360 right now does HD.

edit : are we talking HD [high def] or HD [hard drive "HDD"]?

pearson
08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Selling a version without the HardDrive is a mistake, imo. If developers can't count on a HD then they will develop as though it doesn't exist. Plus, people wanting to play XBox1 games will have to have the HD to get them to run, right? And those who are most price sensitive (who will buy the non-HD version) are those who are going to be looking at running the cheaper, Xbox1 games as a big selling point. Bad move all round I think.

PhilOsirus
08-17-2005, 09:26 PM
i paid $630 canadian for my ipod this past winter and cringed!

Man isn't there something wrong with? I understand the IPod is small, but still, considering you get an Xbox 360 with a 20gb HD + all the hardware included, you have to wonder how much the thing is actually costing to produce. Anyway I always wait a year or so before buying a new console.

LordShaitan
08-17-2005, 09:34 PM
HD version? the 360 right now does HD.

edit : are we talking HD [high def] or HD [hard drive "HDD"]?

Im sorry i wasn't to clear, HD as in HD-DVD...

HD-DVD Eventually.. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Microsoft-Toshiba-HD-DVD-Alliance-Changes-Xbox-360-3902.shtml)

" Considering that such a decision would postpone the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic DVD drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate them."

So in the end there might be 4 versions of the Xbox 360, the $300 dollar launch model, $400 launch model w/ the goodies, and then a $300 HD-DVD version, and possible the $400 HD-DVD with goodies. Can we say shooting themseleves in the foot and just trying to beat the other companies to a 2005 X-mas launch?

SheepFactory
08-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Man isn't there something wrong with? I understand the IPod is small, but still, considering you get an Xbox 360 with a 20gb HD + all the hardware included, you have to wonder how much the thing is actually costing to produce. Anyway I always wait a year or so before buying a new console.

Like you said , the smaller and more portable it gets , the more they can charge. You cant fit the xbox 360 in your pocket or hook it up to your car stereo.

xbox 360 pricing sounds good , i'll pick one for christmas. I am really curious how much the ps3 will cost.

novadude
08-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Im sorry i wasn't to clear, HD as in HD-DVD...

HD-DVD Eventually.. (http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Microsoft-Toshiba-HD-DVD-Alliance-Changes-Xbox-360-3902.shtml)

" Considering that such a decision would postpone the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic DVD drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate them."

So in the end there might be 4 versions of the Xbox 360, the $300 dollar launch model, $400 launch model w/ the goodies, and then a $300 HD-DVD version, and possible the $400 HD-DVD with goodies. Can we say shooting themseleves in the foot and just trying to beat the other companies to a 2005 X-mas launch?

You do realize that holding off on HD-DVD is probably playing it safe, don't you? They're holding off until a new format is actually finalized and not using it as an excuse to double the launch price. Besides, many people will hold off for Gears of War and/or Halo 3, which will probably hit stores about the same time that the HD video equipped 360's do.

LordShaitan
08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Its not an issue of the standard, from what i can read they just mention the Toshiba HD-DVD format. The issue is that they made this dicission late in the game and cant get the drives into the consoles before then. The prices will be the same in the end, for the HD-DVD systems versus regular ones.

People that have a normal one will be left out once games start using the HD-DVD standard. Bottom line.... there will be 3-4 different versions of the Xbox 360 and much confusion when people say "What are you talking about i cant play this game or play this DVD, i have an HD TV, and the console is HD ready"

SheepFactory
08-17-2005, 11:49 PM
You do realize that holding off on HD-DVD is probably playing it safe, don't you? They're holding off until a new format is actually finalized and not using it as an excuse to double the launch price. Besides, many people will hold off for Gears of War and/or Halo 3, which will probably hit stores about the same time that the HD video equipped 360's do.

I thought gears of war was the launch title no?

NanoGator
08-18-2005, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't expect that the HD-DVD version of the system won't do much more than play HD-DVDs. I'm less than excited about that capability of the XBOX-360 or the PS3.

LordShaitan
08-18-2005, 01:52 AM
Well this sytem is suppose to have a 5 year cycle, im pretty sure by the middle it will have HD-DVD games.

Layer01
08-18-2005, 01:56 AM
i dont mind buying the cheaper version, as long as the system is still designed to support a HDD cause i'd just buy my own later and get a bigger one...(bit early to start modding discusions lol)
also when it says it lacks ethernet cable...does that mean no modem or just...no cable??? cause if its just the cable, big whoop.
as for wireless controllers i'm still not convinced anyway, no need for a remote here either.
so as long as i can put a HDD into the cheaper version then i'd be happy.

DevilHacker
08-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Well this sytem is suppose to have a 5 year cycle, im pretty sure by the middle it will have HD-DVD games.You would think so, but they will not. It would be eliminating the people who bought a version with just a standard DVD drive… But when you think about it… how much storage is needed for a game?

When already talking about the Xbox, I am a little disappointed that the Hard Drive is not coming standard. Damn.

NanoGator
08-18-2005, 04:09 AM
Well this sytem is suppose to have a 5 year cycle, im pretty sure by the middle it will have HD-DVD games.

Unlikely. Heck, it's a rarity when a game spans more than one disc. It's even less likely that a game would be HD exclusive.

heavyness
08-18-2005, 04:27 AM
if MS introduced a HD-DVD version later down the road, they wouldn't let a studio put their game on HD-DVD. for one, the normal customer would be confused. second, the studio making the game would then have a limited amount of people to sell the game to.

if it happens, i see two version of the game [much like most PC games] DVD or HD-DVD. not a big deal.

i'm not worried about the 2 different versions of the 360. if they never introduced the base version, most people would be a-ok and everything would be dandy. but since they are introducing the cheaper version [that's just fine for the general public who makes up the majority of game players], people are throwing fits thinking the full version should be $299 and they are getting ripped off. you get a lot for $399 [plus all the things the 360 can do : stream media from the pc, digital cameras, ipods...].

my only concern is if developers have the option of using the HDD or not. and if they are able to let games utilize the HDD to help with textures and load time...?

LordShaitan
08-18-2005, 04:33 AM
The only reason i bring it up is because it seems like they would let people develop with it is because the ps3 is blue-ray standard. What about HD ingame cut scenes, that would eat up tons of space. Im also comparing it to the way the PC market has been receiving games lately, in 2001-2 it was common for a game to be on one-two cds, and now doom3, UT2k3, and halflife are 4-5 regular cds or bascily the size of a DVD. So in the next 5 years it satisticly would only get larger.

I dont know how it will turn out, in the end im not buying one until Gears of War comes out, but well see how it pans out.

SheepFactory
08-18-2005, 04:49 AM
take a look at this guys it seems PS3 is $299 :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009VXAM0/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-4830366-0356866?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

DevilHacker
08-18-2005, 04:54 AM
take a look at this guys:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009VXAM0/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-4830366-0356866?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glanceHAHA... Someone is going to get fired...
There is no way that the PS3 will be anywhere close to that price.

Devenish
08-18-2005, 05:18 AM
The core console won't be able to play games designed for the original Xbox, unless a consumer shells out $99.99 to add a hard drive. I would also believe like many have said here also that developers are going to build games around the Core system lacking the HD to maximize sales.

Microsoft has fumbled the ball leaving room for two other players.

Dirtystimpy
08-18-2005, 05:59 AM
I haven't been to impressed w/ the xbox stuff.....yet, but I think they will deliver, espcially when the ps3 is coming out, and the studios have had a bit longer getting use to the engine etc.

maybe i'm just telling myself this cause I won't be getting the 360 in the near future! hehehehe

meta87
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
From what I understand it isn't possible to use hd-dvd in games because of the slow access times. Of course I wonder about using them for cut-scenes like the previous poster said.

I'd buy the system just for Oblivion, but since it's coming out on pc I'm still considering... :)

Maven
08-18-2005, 05:24 PM
A 20GB Hard Drive of 100 bucks!!! :eek:

M$ has got some balls, it must be a very special drive.

novadude
08-18-2005, 09:11 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009VXAM0/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-4830366-0356866?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Well according to that the PS3 has already been released along with LotR and Star Wars on Bluray...

tozz
08-19-2005, 10:35 AM
The price is good, allthough it's cheap that only basic crap cables comes with the standard version. "We will bring you high resolution graphics*"
*Need to purchase a insanely expensive cable.

The only problem with xbox360 so far is, NO GAMES. The launch list is one of the worst I've ever seen for any console. There was alof of promises about great games and good developer support, I'll wait and see if this will be yet another xbox (a bunch of general titles).

cgtalkiest
08-19-2005, 10:39 AM
sounds very reasonable. considering the ps will cost a shit load and when it does finally come out, the xbox expensive pack will drop down quite a bit...

the only thing thats getting me is this hd dvd crap? if thats not coming out, im gna have to wait till it does, which is a problem... i want 360 the day it comes out, but im not gna rush and buy some rubbish, just to regret it later on, and have to buy 2!!

samartin
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't get the big deal with HD-DVD!? Isn't 4.7Gb enough information to support textures and all that code?

Having HD-DVD will only allow for more intro's, pre-rendered sequences right? Anyway that is my understanding. ISS Pro apparently came out on CD and that's got a great amount of gameplay, sod all the fancy jazz, let's just have fun playing the game.

Please shoot me down if I am incorrect...

DevilHacker
08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
The only problem with xbox360 so far is, NO GAMES. The launch list is one of the worst I've ever seen for any console. There was alof of promises about great games and good developer support, I'll wait and see if this will be yet another xbox (a bunch of general titles).How so? :surprised
Xbox 360 has one of the best game launches out of any console so far...
Please explain. What type of game are you looking for, and is not there?
:curious:

tozz
08-19-2005, 03:45 PM
How so? :surprised
Xbox 360 has one of the best game launches out of any console so far...
Please explain. What type of game are you looking for, and is not there?
:curious:
Fresh games, something new, not old packed in a fresh box. Tell me what is so good about the launch? It's the same games, probably with minimal upgrades exept flashier graphics and then some new fps with "doom3 shine". If they can manage to do a virtua tennis 2 with Topspin 2 (same kind of upgrade) then it's one of the few titles that is actually looking interesting. I mean, come on, * 3 and * 4... you gotta be able to better than that. Alot of games (not that many actually) doesn't cut it for a good launch in my book. But in all farity a console should have at least one year before being reviewed, so I'll just wait :)

XenaTrek
08-19-2005, 04:13 PM
I think I am patient enought to wait til the price drop. Got the PS2 for a little over $100 not too long ago (a couple of years ago). In the meantime the friends that can't wait to get their hands on the new Xbox... I'll just swing by their house for a round of games.

XenaTrek.

PhilOsirus
08-19-2005, 05:01 PM
The reason high capacity formats (especially the Blu-Ray) is needed is to have enough space for not only game data but promotional content as well. First of all, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was on a dual layered DVD, so it's clear that next-gen games will require high capacity formats. On top of this, marketing departments want to add behind-the-scenes and other materials to increase sales, as well as demos and trailers of other games, all on the same DVD.

mummey
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
The reason high capacity formats (especially the Blu-Ray) is needed is to have enough space for not only game data but promotional content as well. First of all, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was on a dual layered DVD, so it's clear that next-gen games will require high capacity formats. On top of this, marketing departments want to add behind-the-scenes and other materials to increase sales, as well as demos and trailers of other games, all on the same DVD.

The road that marketing-driven development travels is full of pot-holes. :sad:

Bpanting
08-19-2005, 05:54 PM

I would rather have a faster DVD drive, with faster load times then someting like blu-ray that will probably not be as fast when they first come out.

tozz
08-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I would rather have a faster DVD drive, with faster load times then someting like blu-ray that will probably not be as fast when they first come out.

Please tell me why 54 Mbit/s isn't fast enough for you. The issue might be seek speeds, but not enough to warrant this "we don't need a big storage medium, dvd is fine" argument. DVD is pretty slow too compared to CD...

toonpang
08-19-2005, 06:57 PM

And lower resolution textures, less levels, fewer characters, less variation in environments, no hd cutscenes.. not having enough storage to support that hardware would be a really dumb move.

If you want to get the most out of new hardware it will take up much more space. Games over the years have jumped bigtime in the mass of data required. the latast PC games are compressed onto a dvd (or 5-7 cd's) and extract to well over the capacity of a dual layer dvd (psychonauts anyone? and the textures looked far better on the pc) . I would expect nothing less then hd-dvd, preferebly blu-ray unless you feel like having half your hardware taking a nap.

Honsestly the more I read about the xbox 360 the more I think the PS3 will be worth the wait, MS is rushing to meet its launch time and it will bite them in the ass in the long run. They barely gave their developers any time before the launch with the dev kits after a major cpu architecture change and now "launch title" means "I hope we can get it done in time." What did they expect??

Oh well.. the xbox 360 could be $199 at this point, I'm not buying one... I'l wait for the xbox 420. :D

-Kevin

Yourworstnightmare
08-19-2005, 06:57 PM

I scanned over this in like 2 seconds and noticed that Sony says that the PS3 is 15 times more powerfull than The Revolution and 2 times more powerfull tahn the Xbox 360, Then when they both come out and The Revolution is better i'll laugh, me and my friends have already decided not to get the PS3 until atleast 3 years after it comes out, when the hd-dvd xbox comes out we'll get that and we'll get the Revolution especifically because of Gears of War. I can't wait till the new Super Smash Bros. comes out and crushes all of the PS3's launch tittles. I would suggest that Sony quit now and say that once they were ahead of everyone else.

TetraLynx
08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
I wonder how much these little beauties will fetch on EBAY come christmas time. They have already quite accepting preorders for the systems here. I can imagine the rush during the holiday season

CENOBITE
08-19-2005, 09:30 PM
I have a neaking feeling that the $399 version will sell like hotcakes (esp in the US with times as they are with the war in Iraq). 10 to 1 hotcakes. Early adopters are also hardcore. All the extra stuff included, microphones/wireless controller/remote control/silver subscription to xboxlive... too good to pass up.

The problem with the rushed software is all that i am fearing.

Neil
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
They could make it a grand and people will still buy it at launch. It's the 'must have it' attitude. Gotta love it. The PSP sales start strong and level'd off quickly. Partly same reason as what everyone is fearing with 360, where are the games?

I'm equally excited about all these next gen consols, but you're not gonna see my waiting outside of Walmart at midnight, haha. Hell, I didn't buy xbox till maybe a year or so after it came out, just played it at friends houses. Do we need to remind everyone how much the prices of all the consols have falled and how quickly? And once Revolution is slated for releases, competition, competition, competition. Holiday sales anyone?

mummey
08-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Please tell me why 54 Mbit/s isn't fast enough for you. The issue might be seek speeds, but not enough to warrant this "we don't need a big storage medium, dvd is fine" argument. DVD is pretty slow too compared to CD...

Sometimes its not the tranfer rate that matters, but the seek time. With disc's this large I would image that the seek time is going to be pretty poor unless they have found a way to speed it up.

tozz
08-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Sometimes its not the tranfer rate that matters, but the seek time. With disc's this large I would image that the seek time is going to be pretty poor unless they have found a way to speed it up.
As I stated in my post, but we didn't have any problems going from CD to DVD and that doubled seek speeds. Smart placement of data and nicely placed loading solves the issues. Alot of games today that pre-loads during gametime, no loading times at all. Just because the disc is large doesn't mean you have to fragment the data all over it.

Psyhke
08-19-2005, 11:07 PM
The only problem with xbox360 so far is, NO GAMES. The launch list is one of the worst I've ever seen for any console. There was alof of promises about great games and good developer support, I'll wait and see if this will be yet another xbox (a bunch of general titles).

Hiya tozz! I don't want to be argumentative or anything, but I thought your comment was surprising since I would have said the exact opposite. i.e. the launch list is one of the BEST I've ever seen for any console.

I'm sure it comes down to tastes, but can you tell me what launches you feel were actually better than this?

PhilOsirus
08-20-2005, 04:10 AM
The problem is most games to be released on the 360 will be released on current-gen consoles as well.

Anyway, it's the PS3 price I want to know, NOW.

tozz
08-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Hiya tozz! I don't want to be argumentative or anything, but I thought your comment was surprising since I would have said the exact opposite. i.e. the launch list is one of the BEST I've ever seen for any console.

I'm sure it comes down to tastes, but can you tell me what launches you feel were actually better than this?
NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, mainly because it was new titles, someting clever behind them. What Xbox360 is showing is the same titles as on Xbox but higher resolution and fancier sound. Of course, I'm being pre-judging based on previous gaming experiences as I haven't played the titles, but I can't see one that would bring anything new into gaming in terms of story, size or creativity. And don't say everything has been done, it hasn't. I know I'm a minority here, everyone is just wanting new eye candy, but a game should be more than that, for me at least (perhaps this is why I like adventure games, rpg, strategy and mmorpgs more than the other genres). But I'll say this, it's a good setup for alot of sales, people love sequels (and more) and will gladly buy a new game based on graphics.

mummey
08-20-2005, 06:51 PM
NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, mainly because it was new titles, someting clever behind them. What Xbox360 is showing is the same titles as on Xbox but higher resolution and fancier sound. Of course, I'm being pre-judging based on previous gaming experiences as I haven't played the titles, but I can't see one that would bring anything new into gaming in terms of story, size or creativity. And don't say everything has been done, it hasn't. I know I'm a minority here, everyone is just wanting new eye candy, but a game should be more than that, for me at least (perhaps this is why I like adventure games, rpg, strategy and mmorpgs more than the other genres). But I'll say this, it's a good setup for alot of sales, people love sequels (and more) and will gladly buy a new game based on graphics.

You're totally ignoring Xbox Live.

ambient-whisper
08-20-2005, 07:19 PM
And lower resolution textures, less levels, fewer characters, less variation in environments, no hd cutscenes.. not having enough storage to support that hardware would be a really dumb move.

i guess, but besides having higher textures, none of those things make a game. today i just finished ico again. theres only 3 types of enemies, and they are just smoke type enemies. one boss. one large level. but its soo good. im getting tired of these shallow generic games that have a poor concept, with 200 levels, with 200 monsters that dont fit into the overall world, etc.

then again, i usually dont spend as much time playing games nowadays, compared to what i used to.

But I'll say this, it's a good setup for alot of sales, people love sequels (and more) and will gladly buy a new game based on graphics

that wont work forever. doom 3 for example? new graphics, but is the game at all memorable besides what it brought to the graphics industry?

tozz
08-21-2005, 10:59 AM
You're totally ignoring Xbox Live.
I haven't found any use for it since I have alot of friends to play with if I want to do some vs gaming. And real life player vs player kicks any online gaming experience back to the stone age, webcam or no webcam. And what news does it bring to the games? nothing, well exept lag and such :) Online gaming is fun and a good extra, but don't bring the crap Live!, just give us ip-to-ip direct gaming.

that wont work forever. doom 3 for example? new graphics, but is the game at all memorable besides what it brought to the graphics industry?
It has worked since forever, and will probably work for quite some time more. It's more evident in console gaming than on PC though.

mummey
08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
I haven't found any use for it since I have alot of friends to play with if I want to do some vs gaming. And real life player vs player kicks any online gaming experience back to the stone age, webcam or no webcam. And what news does it bring to the games? nothing, well exept lag and such :) Online gaming is fun and a good extra, but don't bring the crap Live!, just give us ip-to-ip direct gaming.

Actually many have found that Live is much BETTER than regular internet gaming. Since Live is a paid service, there can be mod's availalbe so that, if someone is being a dick during the game, a mod is always available to come in and kick that guy the heck out. This is guaranteed.

Using Live also means you can be matched up with people of similar experience in the game, instead of the 'gaming professionals' we so often see when connecting to a server via IP these days.

While online doesn't replace the experience of having your friends next to you playing, it was never meant to. Online is great for those times when you have a couple of hours to kill so you feel like popping in a game. Just because video games can be a social event doesn't mean they always should be.

but this all means nothing to you since you seem to come off in your posts as "everything Microsoft does is rotten." As such, I am now done speaking on the subject. :)

tozz
08-21-2005, 03:22 PM
but this all means nothing to you since you seem to come off in your posts as "everything Microsoft does is rotten." As such, I am now done speaking on the subject. :)
You would do better to read the posts before stating your own imaginations. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they hate it, strange world you must live in. (On the other hand, this kind of bahviour is the norm on this forum as soon as Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony is mentioned, it seems you can't have an opinion about either without being a fanboy or a hater).

mummey
08-21-2005, 04:07 PM
You would do better to read the posts before stating your own imaginations. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they hate it, strange world you must live in. (On the other hand, this kind of bahviour is the norm on this forum as soon as Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony is mentioned, it seems you can't have an opinion about either without being a fanboy or a hater).

Perhaps you're right.

:shrug:

tozz
08-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Perhaps you're right.

:shrug:
It's not Microsoft who's providing all the games for the console, rather the other way around, so the hating would be towards developers in this case (since it's black or white it appears). One would argue MS is rushing the launch but that's not really interesting since Xbox360 will be out for longer than the launch week and there will be more titles. You should stop reading into posts so much and just read what they say, I was unhappy with the launch, not everything Microsoft has done/will do.

Psyhke
08-21-2005, 08:03 PM

Oh okay, I see where you were going. I am thinking that there is a very good mix of quantity and quality of titles in this launch compared to most, albiet there may not be many brand new IPs in there or games that really bring something completely different to the table. I would agree with that, but that's not something I would expect at a launch of a console necessarily.

In other words, I am *always* wishing game developers would brake out of the mold more often, and explore and expand on gameplay varieties -- there seems to be so much they could do if they wanted to (or were allowed to, more likely). However, I'm unsure why one would pinpoint a launch lineup specificaly and criticize it for not making those leaps at that time, versus any other time.

As a side note, I'm really looking for one title at launch anyhow, and that's Oblivion. And it might be that that game is one that does offer something fresh, as you say -- in that it's so open-ended and has AI that's been pushed further in a direction than has been done before (NPCs having dynamic lives that they lead 24hrs a day, and can make decisions for themselves and do things and be places that will change depending on what you do and what's going on around them. Pretty cool.)

Ayways, thanks for your input. Have a good day. :)

Dirtystimpy
08-21-2005, 08:15 PM
I love xbox live because it allows me to keep playing with buddies that I played a lot of games with in college, and we moved our seperate ways.

live isn't perfect by any means, but its more then enough for me to want a xbox over ps anyday.

I highly doubt anything sony or nintendo does w/ online gaming will come close to xbox, simply because the longer you do something, the better you get at it, and xbox live has a huge headstart.

so yeah, I would prefer to play games alongside my friends any day, but since I can't, live fits the bill perfectly.

tozz
08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
I have to agree about that this shouldn't be launch specific, it's just that when something big comes along you want the whole thing at once ;) As for the whole "MS has done online gaming longer than Nintendo or Sony", I'll let time tell on that one. It's not like Live! on Xbox was something special, it's just that MS was first (as they were plenty of years after with their console), so I have a hard time figuring out how Sony and Nintendo wouldn't be able to just steal the concept right of and add their own elements (what every company do when their competition does something successful).

Dirtystimpy
08-21-2005, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=tozz]As for the whole "MS has done online gaming longer than Nintendo or Sony", I'll let time tell on that one. It's not like Live! on Xbox was something special,QUOTE]

good point,

I draw my point from this example. When EA introduced their games to LIVE, they were leaps and leaps behind the other companies w/ their live feature (ubisoft etc), and thats just one point I guess.

but you are right, time will tell!

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2005, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.