PDA

View Full Version : russian birch-tree spirit character WIP

Alexandrite
08-17-2005, 01:34 PM
[okay let's see if I can post this to the CORRECT forum this time! :P ]

So here I was, poking around my brain for ideas for a character to paint, and possibly, eventually, maaaaybe, submit to "Exotique" if it turns out well enough. Then I realized, I have a whole Russian heritage to look to for inspiration.. I tried to think of characters from our folklore, but thought I would rather come up with something simple and not an already existing, specific mythological character. And coming up with simple ideas is probably the hardest part, I always try to make too much of a story or overconceptualize something heh...

Anyway the idea is, I was thinking about representing some element of Russia as a character itself. So I thought, what is more Russian than the birch-tree... a birch-tree spirit? Well she could be a spirit, or just a Russian girl, but...

(yes I am aware that she has 3 arms at the moment. No, we Russians do not have 3 arms, no matter what Cold War propaganda may have told you. :twisted: I'm just undecided on what the character's left arm should be doing.. the idea is that she just reached out her hand and caught an oak leaf drifting through the air. Oak to me has always seemed representative of a Russian warrior perhaps? ;) )

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7257/russianthingsketch24nk.jpg

comments/criticisms/suggestions would be very VERY much appreciated!

yep it's only a sketch for the moment, and i have a hell of a lot of research to do on the details of traditional costume, etc, because I want to get it right. The background will be a birch tree forest on a sunny day, so I'm sure somewhere down the line in this thread once I start painting it, you will see me complaining about how the heck to paint light and shadows from leaves falling on her face and dress. :P But for the moment I'm just working out the pose, etc.
next step.... hands. ack. :P

umbrellasky
08-17-2005, 02:09 PM
This looks like a nice piece. I quite like her with her arm reaching out, fills the page more, but she also looks quite good the other way.

Nice work so far :) not much I can crit on at the moment

Alexandrite
08-17-2005, 04:55 PM
thank you! hehe, the arm reaching out and hand catching the leaf drifting by is gonna be difficult to do, but hey, I'm up for a challenge I think :) I was thinking she just looks peaceful with both arms embracing the tree, but then there would be the question of what she was looking at, because i have no other plans except for a sunny birch-tree forest background. (ahh to be in Russia again, and see these forests without needing to scour the internet for photo references :( )

Euphrosyne
08-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Nice sketch, I will be watching to see where you go with it. I liked Lenore and her mask very much!

Alexandrite
08-18-2005, 01:24 AM
worked on her face a bit... aaagh after a whole summer of working nonstop but not enough painting, I feel so rusty :(

(it would probably be a good idea to put down the overall colours i want for the painting, first, huh :P i'll do that next, while i'm not too far still..)

[Edit: updated the image a bit more, fleshed out the skin tones more so to speak, so I have a better idea of the shape and form of her face, tried to bring in the hint of some of the forest light colours as well. added possible basic colour spots for the forest background.]

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3967/russianthingsketch2colour29kc.jpg

Marc-OlivierBouchard
08-18-2005, 02:18 AM
I think it's a good concept but I'd subtly work the character to somehow recall birches. Pale white skin, long and thin figure, maybe a recall of the papery bark in the clothes.
Could be interesting.

Alexandrite
08-18-2005, 02:46 AM
hmm, thank you for the thought. yeah I am not too happy with the skin tone, maybe I will start over a little and define the background colours first, then it may be easier to paint a paler skin tone in the environment..
i'm gonna leave it alone for tonight though, come back tomorrow with eyes a bit refreshed maybe :)

djtrousdale
08-18-2005, 03:59 AM
I like multi-arms. :D Would look great as an alien character, but that's just me.

Great job with it! I think the hand catching the leaf would look better. Or, both hands on the tree, and she is just watching the leaf.

I especially like the idea, the Russian theme. Very unique!

fishbulb52
08-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Hello Nadya! Pleasure seeing someone else from Russia here. I really like where this is going. Maybe I should tap into that heritage too haha. I'll be checking back on this one ^_^

ozhaver
08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Just a little tip: I would get rid of the white background. ;-) Make it at the very least light gray, the colors work much much better that way, and take it from there. If you haven't tried it yet it may seem awckward at first, but you'll get the hang of it. :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.