PDA

View Full Version : not really happy with final cut - anybody knows a better prog

splintah
08-16-2005, 05:58 PM
i do not know if this fits in here:

i am doing some video editing
not professional big stuff
just showreel
and music related stuff
and i am trying final cut

but i am relly not happy with it

i used sony vegas once and it was really great
straight foward
does what i want it to
very intuitive

but it doesnt run on mac

why is everybody using final cut
i really do not like it

ZaKKoS
08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
well i think it's just a matter of habit.

Personally I use FCP and it does almost everything I want in a straight way. Maybe if you tell us what you want to do and how you don't like FC we can help you by pointing the right app.

For a simple cut every editing program will do the job. Try IMovie or search for a free app. Though the basic editing tools and way to do the edit are almost the same on every software.

if you really can't find anything i think you have 2 options:
- Continue to use FC and be angry at it
- Change system (win/linux/sgi)

stepington
08-16-2005, 07:31 PM
We use Final Cut at work. I don't mind it at all. But at home I use -Premiere Pro. I agree with zakkos. It's a matter of what you're used to.

Sometimes it's easier to become more familiar with the software you already have rather than shovel out the cash for a brand-new one.:shrug:

marchermann
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I would agree that Sony Vegas is better for the fast and simple stuff. But the lack of nested timelines/sequences (until V6) made it harder to organise more complicated projects. I find it easier to stay organised in FCP.

But if you are looking for simplicity on the Mac, go for iMovie.

Marc

brant
08-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I have taught editors that have used top level AVID machines to edit in FCP in ony a 15 min demo. Some people like menus, some like drag and drop, others like key strokes. You can do it anyway you want in FCP. If you want easy use iMovie..it's free. Or start with FCP Express if cost is an issue

Jeepy
08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
When I switched from MAC to pc I missed FCP so much, but then I discovered Sony Vegas... the latest version is really cool. I would still love to have FCP on a pc, that would be so perfect.

My advise (if I may)... just give it an other try... work for a few hours or days with it. Try a few tutorials to learn where are the features you like in Vegas are hidden in FCP! It's like driving another car... you will need to adjust and then you'll be set.

Cheers!

splintah
08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
thanks folks

are there any good video tutorials ?

cheers
kris

colintheys
08-30-2005, 06:00 AM
The latest version of Premiere Pro isn't bad either. The previous versions have all had serious issues, but I actually find 1.5 very nice to work with. I also use FCP at work and have used Vegas once. Encore DVD sucks the big one though while I hear Sony's DVD solution is quite good.

ZaKKoS
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
I found that premiere pro and FC have quite the same interface:D

colintheys
08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I found that premiere pro and FC have quite the same interface:D

Lol. That's a good point. Adobe essentially shamelessly ripped off the look and feel of FCP in Pro. Heck, even the name! They do work a bit differently though. :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.