PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for components

Tarkus
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi, im a student and work with maya for my modeling and animation, and i render using Mental Ray.. im buying new components for my workstation, (cpu, motherboard, video card, memory). I really need something that will run very smooth and fast in the viewport so that i can work productively and fast with my models and animations.. rendering is a different story, i thought the X2 4200+ would be good enough for rendering.. but the main concern is the viewport. i NEED a fast and smooth viewport.. i was told it was the gfx card that determined the performance of the viewport and workspace.. i thought getting a Geforce 7800GTX and an A8N-SLI deluxe MB would work fine.. but then i was told not to get a geforce 7800GTX, and to get a FireGL or a quadro.. Personaly i love NVidia.. and i dont want to spend all that much money.. so i thought maybe the 7800GTX would be a good choice.. my budjet for the 4 components is $1,600.00 (cad) and i need some advice on what to get..

Answers are greatly apprecaited.. Thanks in advance.

Tarkus.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/288/tarkussig8lh.gif

SweetDreamz
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
If you're just getting the motherboard and CPU, then go with what you have.

A decent Quadro card would just make you broke. Softmod the 7800 to a Quadro.

Tarkus
08-16-2005, 07:37 PM
what is softmodding and how does it work??

TheCleaner
08-16-2005, 08:06 PM
hmm, i recommend the X2 4200, 2x1GB OCZ ram, which would allow you to overclock the 4200 so it performs more like a higher model (which will give an all around boost, in signle and multithreaded tasks, as well as memory intensive tasks).. the 7800GTX is a gaming card, but if its possible to softmod to quadro, definetly get it if it ties in with the budget. if its not possible to softmod it (yet), get the highest end 6800 which can.

the asus and dfi Nforce4 boards are very good (particularly the DFI for squeezing the very most out of the system with overclocking), i highly doubt you will need sli, as it again is a game frames/sec enhancer, and will likely have no effect in rendering, but if you do game, then its worth getting an SLI motherboard just incase

DONT forget to couple this high end hardware with a very good PSU.. it MUST be ATX12v2 spec (that dual 12V rails, and id say at least 34A overall)

rebo
08-16-2005, 08:16 PM
The 7800GTX is fine, but full PCI-E softmodability isn't usually possible. Regardless the performance is still great. Dont think getting a 6800 GT PCI-E and then softmodding that would be better, it wont be as the PCI-E 6800GT isnt fully softmodable. The only reason to get a 6800GT is if the 7800GTX is too expensive, CG application opengl viewport performance is pretty much identical with these cards.

The only 6800GT cards that fully softmod are the AGP ones.

Tarkus
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
hmm, i recommend the X2 4200, 2x1GB OCZ ram, which would allow you to overclock the 4200 so it performs more like a higher model (which will give an all around boost, in signle and multithreaded tasks, as well as memory intensive tasks).. the 7800GTX is a gaming card, but if its possible to softmod to quadro, definetly get it if it ties in with the budget. if its not possible to softmod it (yet), get the highest end 6800 which can.

the asus and dfi Nforce4 boards are very good (particularly the DFI for squeezing the very most out of the system with overclocking), i highly doubt you will need sli, as it again is a game frames/sec enhancer, and will likely have no effect in rendering, but if you do game, then its worth getting an SLI motherboard just incase

DONT forget to couple this high end hardware with a very good PSU.. it MUST be ATX12v2 spec (that dual 12V rails, and id say at least 34A overall)

yes, thanks. ur right i wont need SLI. so maybe the Asus A8N-E NF4 would be a good choice..

This is the system i thought of so far..

Asus A8N-E NForce4
Asus Geforce 6800 GT Extreme 256MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Corsair 1GB DDR400 PC3200 (2x512MB)
Antec Plusview 1000AMG Case w/Clear Side Window
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 250GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Cache

Its $1,700.00 (CAD)
$1,365.00 (USD)

What do u guys think???

Thanks for the reply's everyone..

Tarkus.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.