PDA

View Full Version : script writing

gavinb
08-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey ya, i was looking for a decent book on writing scripts, is there any recommendations from you guys??

igorsandman
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
"Story" Robert McKee. The bible.
Bye
-IS-

ralphpoon
08-18-2005, 07:23 AM
i read that book, it's great.
but i wonder if there any other books cover more on conversations in script?

igorsandman
08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Hello,
As for dialogues, I never read anybook on that (maybe I should since I'm not especialy gifted in that area). I basicaly use what I hear around me to build my lines. Anyways, I know a couple of books, but since I never read them, maybe they are complete crap.
- "Writing Dialogues" by Tom Chiarella
- "Writing Dialogues for Scripts" by Rib Davis
Hope this helps.
-IS-

gavinb
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
"Story" would certainly seem like a good starting point for me anyway, i read a few reviews and they all seem to be positive :) thanks for that

liquidik
08-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Have you got any raccomendation on a book that talk about the technical structure of a film script and (maybe I ask too much) of a tv cartoon script, with differences, etc? I know there are softwares like final draft that does everthing for you, but I was always interested in "how things work"...

Thanks,

Gianmichele

igorsandman
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
The technical structure of a script is explained in any book on script writing since, that's the basic. It's explained in details in Story. About cartoon scripts, I don't know, sorry. Try to also look at some books on writing comedy maybe.
Bye.
-IS-

LordHades
08-22-2005, 04:53 AM
Here are a list of books that I like to refer to whenever I'm in deep kaka. First and foremost (A MUST.) THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO STANDARD SCRIPT FORMATS by Cole/Haag. These guys went deep intot he realm of scriptwriting. there are many parts 1) Screenplays 2) TV formats 3) playwrites. Everything you need to know about anything are in these books. You want more info grab Shamus Colhane's ANIMATION FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN it gives a broad look at what is expected of you as a film creator. Last but not least for those guys who feel their scripts aren;t good enough just yet get this book: MAKING A GOOD SCRIPT GREAT 2nd Ed. It's a guide for writing and rewriting by hollywood consltant Linda Seger. These will help alot.

PS Also what you can do is by a screenplay and disect it. If you do that make sure it is one you feel has all the componets you are looking for. Remember not everyone writes a screenplay the same so make sure you get the first book I mentioned above all, your dialogue problems will be solved in that book!

zurfer
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree with the fact that Story is the place to start. I can also recomend The writers journy as a mcomplement. I've read a lot of books on writing and those are the two i find myself constnty comming back to.

Dialoug is hard to write and it would be a hard subject to write a book about the only advice I can give is that film dialoug is not real dialoug it's an interpritation of real dialouge. Try to keep bi-lines and exposition to a minimum.

A tip is to go out to a coffe shop and put a walkman on without turning on the music and bisck up a book and pretend to read all the while listening in to peoples converstions. listen to tha way they speak to the flow of the words, the use of slang and try to figure out the sub-text: what is it they mean with that specific line or word try looking at the body language.

After this try to write it down and only keep what is needed to convey the point the wanted to make whaile still feeling natural. Use as few words as possible, taking in to account what kind of a person your character is: a talker, shy, rambling. As I said in movies people don't talk exacly as in real life but we should believe that's what they're doing. It all depends on what kind of movie it is too. A Arnold action flick might not have the most realistic dilaouge but we should believe in it.

Stay away from clichés if you don't have a specifik point in using them. Try to make use of what they are for (peoples belief that they know how things are) but twist them in to new things. stay fresh.

There are four primary funktions for dialouge:
1. Inform - This is exposition, information to the audince so thay understand the story (keep this to minimum in dialouge, there are better ways to diliver information. If you do try to make it natural.
2. Keep the story moving - Foreshadowing, planting seeds to sow later. Do not use meaningless babble, every word counts.
3. characterize - The use of language, temperament, pacing, the inner voice of your character. What king of a person are thet.
4. Give form to inner thoughts and feelings - Telling the theme of your story, Private moment for the character to give away who they rally are, Tantrums is good tool, tell it through conflict.

The final thing thing I will say is that we shuld believe what is being said, remember that the dialoug is really ther to convay a story to the audience but it should feel like it's there for the characters to comunicate with eachother.

Hope this helps.

Peter

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.