PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get bump maps working

Stand and Fight
08-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi all... I am stumped. I'm working on a desert landscape, and try as I might I don't seem to be able to get bump maps working at all. This is a fresh install of LW8 with the 8.02 patch. I've tried disabling and reducing Antialiasing, turning Adaptive Sampling on and off... Nothing that I have tried is effective! HELP!

dines
08-16-2005, 05:12 PM
You want to have a desert landscape and you do want the bump to be the hill don't you?
But you do know that bump maps do not displace the meshes they are just visually there

you have to make a displacement map or you have to model the details if it is that what you mean...

let me know if I got your question right and if my answer helped...

dines

Stand and Fight
08-16-2005, 05:19 PM
You want to have a desert landscape and you do want the bump to be the hill don't you?
But you do know that bump maps do not displace the meshes they are just visually there

you have to make a displacement map or you have to model the details if it is that what you mean...

let me know if I got your question right and if my answer helped...

dines

Right. I have already placed a displacement map on the object (ground), but I still am unable to get the bump map to work. To even begin to see the effect I have to jack the bump map percentage up to like 300%! I'm working with a spotlight with the light intensity at 85.5%, Affect Caustics turned off, a cone angle of 14.7 degrees and no spotlight soft edge angle. Per the tutorial at this site (http://www.synthetic-images.com/index2.htm) my light intensity should be at 100%. I've checked and rechecked everything, and have completed the tutorial successfully in the past. Now no bump maps and I'm stomped!

Jarrede
08-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Try different types of lights, and move them around the scene to see if it's possibly the angle thats effecting how intense it shows up in the render.

is the bump an image map or procederal? if it's an image, make sure it's not mostly grey, try playing with the contrast/levels in photoshop.

dines
08-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Sorry could not see the pictures on your tutorial side... must be an error...

but I set up a scene for you... It is not a landscape but it shows the idear...

try check this scene an see if you can work from this point.

What I did was making a flat in modeler gave it some divisions (important).
After that pressed D to subdivide (smooth) Polys again... gave it some fractal offset (like 50%).
This makes it already a little bumpy... after that in Layout...
subdivision order to last... then I crancked up Rendersubpatch Level to like 10...
On the deform tab I choosed displacement map and added I procedural...

attached is a scene... to play around with until it looks like your desired landscape...

hope this helps

dines

now I saw the tutorial... it should be almost same technique with different settings :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.