PDA

View Full Version : Girl reading in forest, crit please :)

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Hiya something I've started work on. Any suggestions would be great thanks :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/girlingforest.jpg

Close up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/girlcloseup.jpg

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 03:42 PM
that a spider approaching in the treetops ?

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 03:43 PM
that a spider approaching in the treetops ?

Haha no, it's a sort of ent...I'm still working on it but it's going to be slightly evil looking with it's hand reaching out towards the girl :P

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 03:59 PM
oo, what's she reading, "Gone With the Ent?"

StylusMonkey
08-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Always composite before you start detailing, otherwise you will regret it later on.

Miyagu
08-16-2005, 04:06 PM
hahaha squibbit is back! :D "spider approaching"

looks very calm.. like a gentle summer day.. beautiful colorscheme so far..
i would love to see her feet.. or maybe a hint of what´s going on with her legs..
the textures of the bushes look great :)

keep it up!

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Always composite before you start detailing, otherwise you will regret it later on.

ok...could you explain more on what you mean?? is there something wrong with this composition?

Thanks.

oo, what's she reading, "Gone With the Ent?"

Just your typical fairytale...

Anything you want to crit?

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 04:11 PM
hahaha squibbit is back! :D "spider approaching"

looks very calm.. like a gentle summer day.. beautiful colorscheme so far..
i would love to see her feet.. or maybe a hint of what´s going on with her legs..
the textures of the bushes look great :)

keep it up!

Thanks :) In the reference I used you couldn't see her feet or see how her legs were positioned so I chose to keep it like in the reference :)

Thanks again for the advice very much appreciated :)

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
hahaha squibbit is back! :D

Like where did he ever go ? :p

Anything you want to crit?

Not at this point. Got a suggestion, though. There could be a
WWII tank commander hiding in her skirts from the ent, his head
could be shown peeking from under there, with one hand holding
the skirt up a bit.
That would give "a hint of what´s going on with her legs.."

?

maybe it would be a bit out of place

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Not at this point. Got a suggestion, though. There could be a
WWII tank commander hiding in her skirts from the ent, his head
could be shown peeking from under there, with one hand holding
the skirt up a bit.
That would give "a hint of what´s going on with her legs.."

?

maybe it would be a bit out of place

LOL, it's an idea ;)

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 04:30 PM
how 'bout makin that skirt sorta like a fungus creature that has paralyzed
her and is now swallowing her whole and the ent, who at first seems
to be attacking , is actually moving to remove the evil fungus ?

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Squibbit: that's an idea...not quite what I'm going for but still, could be used for something else maybe :D

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 04:44 PM
k, i do have a crit too

the forest looks more like a garden with pruned trees at this point

hey aren't ents supposed to be good ?

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Yes I think Ents are meant to be good. But I wanted to create something more sinister, perhaps this ent is innocent but to the viewer he may not look quite so innocent? The way he is reaching out maybe in a curious manner, but to viewer could be perceived as something more sinister?

Thanks for the help :)

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 05:17 PM
or she could have chained ent children by her side she'd be using to fuel
a campfire beside her ? That'd be rather sinister too

and long streams of tree sap would run down from the eyes of the ent
as he rushes to resque his babies, who'd be cryin too :sad:

Martin_B
08-16-2005, 05:20 PM
My only crit is that i miss bigger shapes in her dress. It's a lot of folds (or what it's called) but in the whole, it feels a bit flat.

Oh, talking about the composition: it could get unbalanced with both the girl and the ent on the left of the painting.

I like the bottom of the forest. It looks nicely graphical.

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 05:22 PM
:( I don't think I could paint such a scene

Using ents as campfire fuel lol that's just mean...allthough, could come in handy if were ever to threaten an ent for something...

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
well, she could be a wicked wicked witch, although it would be sad to see such a
beauty walk the path of darkness :sad:

anyways, u gonna post an update soon ? I'd so much like to see more form and
detail in the pic :). Or u still thinking what to do with it ?

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 05:48 PM
I will update soon :) Just working on the ent at the moment, giving him more form

Zephyri
08-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Since you're still working on this, and the ent in particular, I'll wait to see how it goes.. I'd agree with te comment about it being unbalanced if the ent is on the left with the girl. I realise you are probably emphasising the scale and height of the forest with the girl being placed so low in the corner, but on first look, my eye went straight past her and focused on the bright yellow spot in the middle. I know you're still working on it, so these point may become redundant when you update, but it's my two cents worth! :) Be careful with your depth: strength of tone and hue when you start filling the forest in, it might make of break this piece. Looking good this far, though.

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks Zepyhri :)

Ok here's a small update. I'm going to have my dinner now, but will carry on afterwards. Thanks everyone for the help :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1forestupdate.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I love this setting, you really know how to set a mood. The figure looks nice too. She looks like she escaped from the boring old ball to read a good book instead. The "woods" do look manicured like an italian estate garden. I wouldn't cange it, it's enchanting and goes better with the dress than a regular woods. Instead maybe change the name to something like "escape to the garden" (just a thought). One thing I would change is the area behind the trees, maybe tone it down just a tad. Waiting to see what's next.

Euphrosyne

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Euphrosyne: Thankyou :) the title is just temorary, I couldn't think what else to put. Thanks for your idea that sounds like a really nice title :thumbsup: I'm glad you like it so far.

Here is some more progress. I understand what people mean now when they say it's one sided. I will have to think of how I can balance the composition

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/forestmoreprogress.jpg

Squibbit
08-16-2005, 09:27 PM
k u could put like a replacement head on the ent's hand and a screwdriver
on the other. Then u could pull the girl's hair a bit more to the side so there
would be seen screws on her neck. Then the air would be filled with numbing
spores released by the ent so the girl wouldn't notice her head being replaced
by the mischievous ent. Then there would be little fairies in the air like all scared,
trying to prevent this from happening and two of them could be pulling her from
the back, trying to make her ignore the spores and wake up and notice the danger.

um.. then u'd have to figure out why she got screws on her neck in the first place
n stuff...er.. unless u wanna leave that to the viewer :D

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 09:30 PM
lol Squib, how do you come up with this stuff? Just genious :D

I was thinking of adding fireflies...maybe I could use them to balance the image a little. I thought some fireflies would also be good to add a little more lighting :)

Euphrosyne
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Yikes! Now it looks like the title should be "escape from the garden".

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Euphrosyne: haha!! :D

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to fill the space on the right hand side?

Thanks for the help so far it's been great :)

Euphrosyne
08-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Maybe some little goblin or elf peeking from the bushes, covering its mouth with its hand and eyes wide with horror!

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Euphrosyne: hee hee I could it's definatly an idea...hmm I will have a think about it. Or maybe some small fairies? I don't know, I'm kinda stumped.

Thanks for your input ^^

umbrellasky
08-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Ok...more work, what do you think?? Yay or No

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/forestgirlagain.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Wow! This is looking good. The fireflies and the other ent really move the eye around in the picture. I think this is just getting better and better.

remcv8
08-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Beautiful!!! I love your technique with brushes and color to render the trees in. Looks very organic and very "fine art" quality. The close up of the girl is just amazing!!!

umbrellasky
08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Euphrosyne: Thankyou for the encouragement :) I'm going to start adding some little details in now, maybe some small creatures and a few wild flowers.

remcv8: thankyou. I'm glad you like the textures. I've created so many new brushes for this painting. I'm glad you like the close up too :D

I will be posting more updates soon. Thanks again everyone!

umbrellasky
08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
hmmm...it would appear that my images are not showing...image-bound.com doesn't seem to be working...I will have to find somewhere else to upload my images.

<edit> Ok I've re-uploaded them onto photobucket :)

umbrellasky
08-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Close to finishing now I think, Any suggestions are welcome :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1moreforestwork.jpg

close ups :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1mouse.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1squirrel.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-17-2005, 11:54 PM
This is lovely, nice concept and you really improved the composition. I love the little mouse and squirrel. The only thing that bothers me is the semi-transparent flower in front of the mouse. Good job!

New title "Two ents, and a maiden reading" might be kind of fun since people will be looking closer for the second ent.

umbrellasky
08-18-2005, 12:01 AM
The only thing that bothers me is the semi-transparent flower in front of the mouse. Good job!

It was bothering me too :) I've sorted that out now thanks, you've been such a great help!

Thanks to everyone else as well.

Anymore crits?

made some changes here's an update :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1mouse2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/enialadam/1squirel2.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Love that cute little mouse so glad the flower went away. The only other thing you might consider is making the dress a little lighter without boosting the saturation, just to draw the eye back to her. Once the ent is noticed it becomes alittle hard to pull your eyes away from him. This is just my opinion. I think this is a magical and wonderful painting. The best I have seen you do yet!

OOPs look at the title suggestion on my previous post. I edited the wrong post.

Vyliss
08-18-2005, 04:14 AM
woo, I've always wanted to know how ppl draw such detailed and realistic grass/bushes/trees, it looks so hard to me, mind sharing your technique?

remcv8
08-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Wow, this is getting better and better as you go!!! You are quite talented!!!

umbrellasky
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Euphrosyne:Thanks, I will see what I can do about the dress :D I quite like the 'escape to the garden' title you gave, it doesn't give too much away and I quite like the idea of viewers being able to find things for themselves. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Vyliss: thanks, well for this painting I created loads of my own custom brushes using photographs of leaves, tree branches and flowers. Linda Bergkvist has a tutorial here on how to create your own brushes: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=239810
I also used some of photoshop 7's own brushes there's one called grass which I used, I also used the smudge with the 'grass' just to blend it in a bit more.

A good tip when using these brushes is to tick shape dynamics box (it the tool presets) and alter the angle jitter. This means that when you paint with that brush it doesn't have a repeated pattern, it turns the brush round and changes the angle of it. Hope at least some of that makes any sense.

remcv8: Thankyou! I wouldn't say I'm talented, just a person who has had lots of time to practice and learn.

mnp
08-18-2005, 12:23 PM
hey,

cool concept, I guess them ents need some woman

I have one crit, the girl seems a little to defined in the scene, I think the lines on the girl are a little too thick and hard.

umbrellasky
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
hey,

cool concept, I guess them ents need some woman

I have one crit, the girl seems a little to defined in the scene, I think the lines on the girl are a little too thick and hard.

Thanks :) I will try to sort that before I upload into the finished art works thread. I think I am pretty much finished now, just a few minor tweaks and then I will upload.

Thankyou to everyone for the support! I allways find that I push further when I upload here. Thanks for the crit and the encouragement couldn't have done it without ya! :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.