PDA

View Full Version : Prayer for the dying WIP

TheTon
08-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone... I have just started on this little pic and have sort of hit a wall... I could really do with some crit on it to help me push it along... Puuurleeeease?

The pic is a dark prince who has just defeated his enemy in battle and is offering a prayer to his god for those who perished by his hand. Or something...

Any comments would be most welcome...

Thanx you good people!

The Ton

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7900/prayer13ix.jpg

TheTon
08-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi! I have managed to have another look at this and have made a few changes - mainly to the hand as I wasn't happy with the last attempt... Also I have started to fill in a bit of loose detail on the sword. I am a bit happier with the way it's going but would still love some crits from you lot. Is the composition working? Is the anatomy OK? All that sort of stuff...

Cheers folks! Looking forward to hearing from y'all! :bounce:

The Ton

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3439/prayer29at.jpg

kira-hime
08-16-2005, 07:12 PM
I like your concept. ^.- My biggest crit at this point is that the guy's forehead is non-existant, you need to curve it out and not just make it a flat line from his nose to the hairline. If that doesn't make enough sense lemme know and I can do a quick overpaint for you.

I personally liked the way his hand looked before you changed it, now it seems like his fingers are too large. One last anatomy note is where his neck starts..unless he's wearing a big collared shirt or something, it should start further back, giving him a jaw...and it might also be a little too angled, if you want to make him look like he's bowing his head it should be pretty much the same angle as his torso, except the head will be rotated downwards.

Anyway, that's just what I think, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Ilikesoup
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Um. . . I think the concept needs refining. Princey looks too pretty to have defeated anybody in battle. No sweat, no cuts or bruises. Not even so much as a Band Aid on his hand. Of course he could have run his foe through from beind like the cowardly dog that he is! :scream: Also, will you be expanding the canvas to include the dark lord or do we have to take your word on this?

I WANNA SEE THE DARK LO-HOORD! :cry: :banghead:

Also, there's too much smudge tool for my liking. Evil does not use a smudge tool. He likes strong, confident strokes. Give Darkness a Degas and a Van Gogh and he will be as happy as can be.

TheTon
08-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey kira-hime! Thanks for your comments... It's amazing what you miss when you're in the midst of painting... As soon as you pointed out those things I saw exactly what you mean! *Slaps Forehead!* I will be amending it as soon as I get a spare moment. Thanks! By the way, he is wearing a high necked tunic but I will be sorting out the angle. Also, the hand thing - I realise that the fingers are a bit large... I guess i was just overcompensating for the foreshortening. I do prefer his hand positioning though.. Before he was holding on the the blade - a sure way to lose a couple of fingers! Anyway, Nice one Thanx again!

Hey Soup!!! Long time no speak! Hows it going? Well you are quite right to think that the dark prince is a cowardly dog! I have not added any "battle scarring" because I thought of this character as being a sly, weasly, greasy sort of person who relies on his power to get his minions to fight and die for him. Hence he will show not a sleeve out of place whilst inside he is trembling like a cornered kitten!

On the smudge front - I guess I should be flattered by that comment... Beleive it or not, I have not gone anywhere near the smudge tool! It's all blending and colour picking and blending and colour picking etc etc... I realise I may have gone a bit too far and it does look quite smudgy but I will be rectifying that little prob when I get to doing some detail... I was also thinking I might add some background so it helps with the concept, but we'll see what happens... Cheers for your comments...

See you back here soon!

The Ton :buttrock:

BMunchausen
08-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi there!

I like your idea...but I think various things are working against it at this point:
The sword handle looks sort of soft and vague and possibly rubbery. It should have more definite structure. I dont' think that tweedy texture is working too well on it either.

I'm not finding that confluence of points - his hair, the handle and the sun (?) - to be working to your advantage. It's sort of awkward the way they all meet in the center. The middle of the image in fact, is very 'busy" overall, with the handle of the sword, the fingers, the features, everything together more or less in the center of the page.

I think the composition could use some breathing room - more air around the figure so we get a sense of the larger context. I wouldn't get "just won a battle" from this image, the way it stands.

One note about the hand - the problem I think is that the fingers and the bulk of the palm of the hand should be roughly the same length. You have the palm/back of the hand too small right now for the fingers.

Nice start - looking forward to seeing it as it improves.

TheTon
08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I have done a bit more on this today mainly to amend the things that were wrong as pointed out by kira-hime, Soupy and the Baron. A bit of work on the hand to make the fingers correct, I have taken out the flash of light and the lightning as they have no actual relevance to the piece, I have removed his 80's flat-top and replaced it with a more sinister "grease back and sides" and then of course there's his new sword... Obviously there's LOADS more to do but I wanted to get these corrections up for some comment...

Whadddya reckon so far...? More crits please as I am quite enjoying this banter!

Thanx you guys!

The Ton

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1035/prayer30xr.jpg

TheTon
08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi folks. Me again. I have done a bit more work on this... Added some detail and stuff...
BUT - Something that is driving me crazy is trying to get the skin tones right!
Can any of you offer some guidance as to how to get the skin looking better?

I hope so coz I am going mad painting, then overpainting then overpainting again!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Apart from that, I think I am quite pleased with the way it's going so far (for my second attempt at a fully finished painting anyway...)

Any comments would really help. Cheers.

The Ton

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2217/prayer45cl.jpg

Morrigana
08-19-2005, 12:50 AM
That sword's design is pretty neat. I like the vulture-esque heads most of all.

I think, especially if he's more of a "bad" guy, putting some cool colors in the skin tone would really draw out the figure. Especially where the hand is gripping the sword, there should be a reflection of that steel color on the skin. His jaw right by the earring has a touch of the purple/pinkish color used in the irridescence, and I like the skin most of all right there, where there's a subtle chill to his skin. Just a few places here and there where the veins would be closer to the surface, or where a bruise might be forming, a little blue or purple might add that depth you're looking for.

Also, this stands out to me; the bridge of his nose where it joins his cheekbone seems a little much like putty. Almost like Odo from Deep Space 9. It doesn't seem to give enough depth to the eye socket beneath the eyeball.

Just my two cents.

kira-hime
08-19-2005, 01:11 AM
This is looking lots better, Ton!

For skin tones nobody can help you better than Enayla, she's got a tutorial on them on her site, http://www.furiae.com/

The forehead, fingers, neck and sword all look tons better, keep it up! :thumbsup:

TheTon
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Hellooo! I have done a wee bit more after your comments Morrigana and Kira Hime (Thanks a bunch for those by the way guys...) I Have had a look at the eye socket, the mouth area and given the whole skin a good going over and I think it's looking a lot better (many thanks to Enayla for her tuts on skin!!!) A bit more detail added on the sword and shoulder and here we are..

Any more comments as to where to take it from here would be really helpful. Fanx a bunch!

The Ton :buttrock:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/7673/prayer51cb.jpg

ameermagdy
08-22-2005, 12:18 AM
wow, cool work, it's becoming great, cant wait :)

TheTon
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Here's an update...
I thought the background was sorely lacking in something so I decided to add a bit of a temple. Also I have changed his shoulder decoration for something a bit more realistic. A little bit more detailing and a touch up of the background too and I think I have nearly finished. :bounce:

That is unless you lot persuade me otherwise...? Any final comments before I call it a day on this one? :bounce:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/663/prayer68on.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
This is looking so good! I really like all the changes that you made to the figure. The ear looks a little to flat, I think that the hard edges on the inner parts of the ear need to be softened. The shadow areas of the ear are to dark. The is a lot of red in ears, especially in the recessed areas. Take a look at your ears or reference and you will see what I mean. What great dark and somber mood you have going here. I love it. Keep going.

Ilikesoup
08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Tremendous improvements! Your villain really stands out against the misty bacground -- there's a nice sense of depth to the room. I agree with Euphrosyne about his ear, but that's easily rectified. The moon looks great peeking from behind the arches/columns. I'm not sure what it is, but the thing dangling from his throat is a bit distracting. Is it a very long earring or a pendant peeking from behind his turtleneck? I'd love to see him kissing or praying to a pendant that's slung around his neck -- it would bring his right hand into play and would give a sense of what unseen thing he worships.

Keep going! :bounce:

TheTon
08-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Euphrosyne and Soup! Thanks for you kind words! I totally agree about the ear! I noticed it as soon as I got home from work and decided to redo it... Great minds and all that eh?

Soupy, the thing dangling from his throat is the clasp for the front of his tunic (Its an eagles claw holding a crystal ball. Embarrassingly enough it's inspired by an ear-ring I used to wear during my big-hair-metal days :buttrock: )

Anyway, here is the amended version with a few extra changes... I could go on changing it forever but I think I need to draw this one to a close so unless anyone has any glaring problems which I have failed to notice - hang on... one, two, three, four... yep, the right amount of fingers - I think I am done... I will go and post on the finished thread! YAY!! :bounce:

Cheers all for your help on this piece!

Snogs for the girls, Manly handshakes for the boys.

The Ton

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5434/prayer66og.jpg

KatSArt
08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
well this has come quite a ways in what seems like such a short ammount of time....

now then!! the index finger looks to be floating above the handle rather then resting on it and the sword seems to have no blade.... actually it's more then just the index finger but a good part of the palm that seems to be hovering but other then that... i think it's lookin pretty nice so far though ^^

Euphrosyne
08-23-2005, 05:51 AM
I did have one more thing, I think that his forehead is slopped back a little to much. He would look ever so much more handsome if his forehead had a little more room for brains. Sorry I didn't catch that before now.

MVP
08-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Excellent work mate, you really need to dirty him up though - the devil is in the detail!

Also there needs to be a bit more roundness shadowing to the hilt (unless its flat - ouch) and some blood spatters again.

What you gonna do for the lower background, it is a bit ...nothingey...at the moment.

Very good though from the initial post to this one.

rock on mate

\m/

TheTon
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
You've started it now haven't you... There I was thinking I was nearly finished and you start giving all these suggestions! Brilliant!

So what have I done now? I have added a bit to the background - You're quite right MVP! He is after all an evil murderer so a few bones strewn about the place are in order. I have added a bit more shape to his head so that Euphosyne fancies him a bit more. And I have (I think) sorted out the "floaty hand" syndrome and given the blade a bit of of an edge... (Ta Tyrful)

Erm... that's it I think...

Whaddya reckon?

Shall I leave it there or shall I expand the canvas to show his family, his pets and that bloke he met down the docks the other day called Gerald? (Hmmm maybe that's another pic...)

Anywho, here is the amended jobbie...

The Ton :beer:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3467/prayer60yo.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.