PDA

View Full Version : lightwave vs. xp on laptop

schmu_20mol
11-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Hi all!

so i got a laptop a day ago (yeehaaa), so i can work 'bout everywhere;)

just one prob ....there i got WinXP installed ...while doin my preferences and some other configuring of LW it came to crash everytime i change the number/kind of the viewports (?)
in modeler options>display options>layout
just when i choose any of the 4-tiled layouts LW won't crash ....if i'm up to choosing a 3/2/1-tiled viewport 'modeler.exe' gets busted and LW crashes.....does anyone know what the prob could be??

Laptop features should please LW:

P4 1,8 GHz
256 DDR-Ram
SiS650 Graphics Chip with 32MB (shared)
14" TFT with max 1024x786

rock
11-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Lightwave 7 or 7.5 should work fine on XP, with or without SP1, on laptop or desktop. If not, just upgrade either the software or the OS or both.

Rock.

schmu_20mol
11-01-2002, 07:45 PM
thx rock i'll try it.....any other ideas

Tottebias
11-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Perhaps update the gfx drivers...And I know sis isn't the best when it comes to OGL.

plotz
11-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Are you on XP Home/Business, or XPPro?

XPPro is what I'd reccomend using for 3D work. It seems to have better memory management from what I've been able to tell.

Sounds like it's probably an OpenGL/Driver issue though.

Brett H.
11-02-2002, 01:01 AM
I have seen Lightwave run relatively smoothly on a cheap laptop with an 800 Mhz Celeron, 192 Mb RAM, and 11 Mb shared video memory. A real clunker, but the individual uses it for modelling with (as I said) relatively good results. This is part of what drew me to Lightwave: he models in the comfort of his recliner, and only loads up the finished model into layout on his desktop for texturing and rendering. (Not sure about the legalities of that, though).

SO, it's gotta be a driver thing, because your system is fine for running modeller (and I'm sure Layout as well).

Brett

schmu_20mol
11-02-2002, 01:49 AM
thx all for your help....pretty nasty thing...updating xp is at the moment quite a pain 'coz it seems that no service pack is released until now....gotta stick to good ol Win2K ;) ...THX anyways ;)

dark_lotus
11-02-2002, 04:26 AM
Ok I am working on a laptop with XP/2000 and lightwave.

One thing that I have found to be the key factor in determining whether winxp/2000 is stable is the filesystem it is running.

Everyone who I have spoken to with XP/2000 running on FAT have had severe stability problems.

Everyone who I have spoken to with XP/2000 running on NTFS have had very limited stability problems.

This is due to how each one handles the transfer of data to the cpu.

Check which Filesystem you have by right-clicking on the Drive and going to properties.

Also if it came pre-installed, i'd format. Install it yourself - and make sure you use NTFS.

eheupel
11-02-2002, 06:58 AM
I've got LW7.5 running on a PIII based Sony laptop, it's got the Intel 815 chipset for video... works fine except of course OGL refresh speed in Layout when animating anything real. Of course first thing I did was convert the drive to NTFS and reconfigure the partitions. Come to think of it the only thing I am happy about with the sony ... never a problem with Lightwave ... everything else but lightwave (Display, DVD/CDRW, battery, ugggh!)

wozzyke
11-02-2002, 10:55 AM
OK I have LW running on my 1600+ AMD with 512 meg RAM and winXP home edition

I ones upgraded with the service pack for winXP, but afterwards LW started to do some weird stuff, all the numeric panels went white so you couldnt see anny of you inserted numbers. Uninstalling the service pack did not help annythink, I had to reinstall my whole computer.
It runs smootly on a laptop, but only when the service pack is not installed
It seems that LW isnt compatible with the service pack

wozz

schmu_20mol
11-02-2002, 08:29 PM
thx again...now i got w2k on ntfs running really fine

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.