PDA

View Full Version : What about LW 8.0?

ThirdEye
11-01-2002, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know anything about LW 8.0? When will it be out? Amy news about it?

KillMe
11-01-2002, 08:39 PM
i not heard anything about it - the only rumour i heard is that it is a total rewrite and should have some kickass new stuff with the possibilty of it being one app not two

do wish there was jsut afew more leaks in newtek =) would love to know something concret about it

bleep
11-01-2002, 08:41 PM
I doubt you ll have an answer...
I'm interrested knowing when it will be out aproximatly (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th quarter 2003 for example...) just to save bucks for it or not by aquiring another package if the delay is too long (now like maya is that cheap...or now XSI 3 just come out with some stuff i love from LW and lots more...donno yet ;) ) depending if it's a long road for it to come...

i'm more interrested to see if the interface will change (guess so) and if it will integrate edges (finally) and merged modeller / layout...btw bunch of other things.
but i know noone at newtek will answer... :rolleyes:

beta testers are lucky i suppose ;<

NanoGator
11-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by KillMe
... the possibilty of it being one app not two

do wish there was jsut afew more leaks in newtek =) would love to know something concret about it

:eek: NOOOOooooooooooo!!!

Heh.

I don't have a problem with this if they tab the window or something, but I definitely do not want modeling tools and animation tools in the same interface. My main concern is the 'undo' feature.

mbaldwin
11-01-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm looking forward to the Dynamic Sandwiching. Mayogons. built from the ground up using the new Hoagie algorithm.

minus
11-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Ya know... about the multilple undo issue. - Even if it is fixed in Lightwave 8 so you have multiple Undo's it's probably not a good thing to advertise. ;) I know if never knew anything about Lightwave and was thinking about making the switch at version 8 and read... "Now with multiple undo's!" I'd probably run for my life from any app that waited so long to add such a taken-for-granted feature. :p

NanoGator
11-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Heh that's not the undo I was referring to. I was referring to merging LW/Modeler into one app. The way it's seperated now, undo in Modeler will do something different than undo in Layout. I like that seperation. :)

Steve Warner
11-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Mayogons. built from the ground up using the new Hoagie algorithm.

ROTFL!!! :scream: :scream: :scream:

mbaldwin must be hungry!

LNT
11-02-2002, 01:21 AM
according to NASA report,Layout and Modeler will merge on february 31st 2003 18:00 hours GMT
people living on northern hemisphere will be able to watch the spectacle for whole 3 mins before the total blackout http://www.aoikenso.net/ap/cg/biggrin.gif

wgreenlee1
11-02-2002, 02:00 AM
Do not merge!
DO NOT MERGE!
Repeat : Do not merge the interfaces of Modeler and Layout!
And Layout does not need multiple undos...:rolleyes:

LyonHaert
11-02-2002, 04:01 AM
i'd have to agree with wgreenlee1 :)

wmendez
11-02-2002, 04:38 AM
LNT I guess they missed the joke about the 31st ;) a merge with modeler and layout would require a rewrite wich is currently needed if you want to increase workflows.

Per-Anders
11-02-2002, 06:52 AM
lightwave as one app would certainly seem an interesting proposition. most peoples fears about them being unified seem to stem around some old fasioned quant idea about if you render... you can't model, or if you model a cmplex scene you ahve to have all the objects in there and that's going to slow things down, or modelling and animation areas sharing undo's will mean that you can't undo a modelling process after making an animation change. no "unified" 3d app has these problems. in fact the possibility for making a very good workflow in lightwave would be immense. imagine you could model an object, and just switch to the animation section or an animation layer. your object already there, placed at 0,0... any movements made to the object here aren't reflected in the modelling layer, you selet the object and go to modelling layer, and there it is, either edit in place, or edit in it's own layer. there are ways it could be done that would make life an lot easier and the modelling and animation process a lot faster. i'm sure the engineers behind lightwave should they decide to do such a thing will make sure that working with lightwave is still the great experience that it's always been. and they'll improve it, object history, things like that... the advantages of being able to quickly freeze an animation state (including full deformers) and continue modelling from there, or being able to use the animation deformers as part of the modelling process as you can in other apps (the stack). ok the downside is that those with no memory would no longer be able to run modeller, then save and shut down before going to layout... it may even be that the "unified" lightwave is simply the two still feeling as seperate as before, still behaving in exactly the same way, only openning as one app, and switching with a hot key/button/menu./dropdown. embrace change, and trust those making lightwave a little bit more. i'm sure they're doing a great job, and they're well aware.

Eugeny
11-02-2002, 09:21 AM
I definitely for the margin of two app.
It's mast be like panels - one for Layout and one for Modeler - something like old Softimaje 3D . I just staked SO many time with challenge of faking some modeling tool in animation process (cage, buleans, splines, e.t.c. - please don't tell me about cage bone deformer plug - it's absolutely suck in comparison to Maya / Max / Cinema free form deformators ) so the ability to use modeler deformers / tools in animation process is a dream for me.
Here is some image made by Cerreto - Modeller and Layout in one interface - i don't know how him do that (Photoshop or some hardcore manipulation with config files) but him give the "lw-8beta" name for this image ... http://lobster.ls.huji.ac.il/~eugeny/CGTalk_junk/lw-8beta.jpg

verti
11-02-2002, 10:17 AM
im for the merge too :)...

and u dont have to keep all models in one scene while adding/modling more... u can keep them in different files... than create a scene file with everything

merge! merge!

:p

v

Labuzz
11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
MERGE!!:bounce:

Jimzip
11-02-2002, 12:32 PM
People! Think about what you are saying!!
No more of our beloved Modeler!:cry:
The merge could mean great things, if Newtek find a way to keep the merged application powering along as fast and well as Modeler and Lightwave do separately, then I'm all for it... But learning a new interface (not too much of a big thing..), and the program being clogged with rendering and modelling at once, (like so many other 3D apps... All of them actually..) means that performance could potentially decrease...
Lightwave has the best out of the box renderer, hands down, and it is the only 3D app that has one program for modeling and one for rendering, all the others are one app and their rendering engines aren't as good...
All that said though, Newtek won't change the rendering engine hopefully...:surprised

(Calming down) Anyhoo, either way it could have its ups or downs, I guess we have to just trust Newtek to do another great job:thumbsup: .

(I would like to see a foliage generator though...:deal: )

verti
11-02-2002, 12:37 PM
i bet many pros would disagree with you about the renderer... the newtek render engine is not the best... it's really good... but i guess not as good as i.e. the one from mental images.

no flame here!
verti.

Eugeny
11-02-2002, 12:43 PM
But learning a new interface (not too much of a big thing..), and the program being clogged with rendering and modelling at once, (like so many other 3D apps... All of them actually..)
See the pic i posted before ... The interface is pretty the same u have only additional tubs to switching from modeller tools to layout. As for rendering and modeling at ones - just open another LW and model (if u have some free RAM and beast machine)
Lightwave has the best out of the box renderer, hands down, and it is the only 3D app that has one program for modeling and one for rendering, all the others are one app and their rendering engines aren't as good...

Electric Image have two separated programs - Modeler and Animator (and also Camera program for rendering) and it's have great speediest engine on the world (it's them told not me :) )
Also XSI have Mental Ray renderer build in - and it's industrial standard so far (like LW engine too).

Eugeny
11-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by verti
i bet many pros would disagree with you about the renderer... the newtek render engine is not the best... it's really good... but i guess not as good as i.e. the one from mental images.

no flame here!
verti.

I think it's pretty close to MR quality ...

CIM
11-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Well, if rumors of a next-gen LW are true (meaning a completely rewritten LW), I bet it will be merged as one program.

I doubt the current incarnation of LW will be merged. Modeler and Layout are just too different to blend seamlessly into one functioning program. I think would be a huge mistake for NT to try and merge LW as it is now.

Mental Ray is a good renderer--great for the programs it was made for (XSI, Max, etc), but I wouldn't say it's better than LW. It's pretty darn close, but some features just don't add up. The biggest issue is it's speed, I'd say.

Mike RB
11-02-2002, 05:11 PM
As long as the objects are saved independantly of the scene file, merge is good. Think about it, if skelegones WE'RE bones it would be so easy to rig characters.... I'm all for a merge as long as our assets stay independant of the scene file.

Mike

Tottebias
11-02-2002, 05:22 PM
As long as they make a kickass product I don't really care what they do :)

ThirdEye
11-02-2002, 05:56 PM
When will it be out?

iratethemad
11-02-2002, 06:08 PM
WHAT MERGE!!! WHY FIX SOMTHING THAT ISNT BROKEN I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT I LIKE HAVING MODELER AND LAYOUT AS SEPERATE APPS WHEN I WANT TO MODEL SOMTHING I JUST HAVE TO OPEN MODELER AND IF I JUST WANT TO ANIMATE SOMTHING I JUST OPEN LAYOUT WHY HAVE A BIG APP TAKE UP ALL YOUR RESOURCES???

iso
11-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Keeping them seperate is great if your main thing is modeling, which is what LW was so well known for in the past, BUT LW has come a long way and is really becoming a good animation package (few more tweaks = awesome). If LW wants to take the next step into the animation realm it has to merge them. As mike said it would make the rigging process so much more efficient and allow for easier reusability for skeletal rigs.

carnera
11-02-2002, 06:40 PM
well...personally i love how modeler and layouter are working...fast and stable.
but sometimes i wish i could animate things like boolean operations or any other deformer-tool.
i could imagine that having one application with a button to switch between modeler-gui and layouter-gui wont hurt the workflow. imagine that you can decide what modeling-parameter you want to send to the "layouter-modus"..... imagine that you could use skelegons right in layouter without converting them to "bones".....
but i can also imagine that such implementations need more cpu-time.....but what the heck...! i mean cpu-power is really cheap nowadays...

beside having one app there are a couple other issues that have to be improved...

but i am sure that lw8 will provide us new funky features but i am also sure that we will discover that theres still room for improvements.....but thats how things work....

bye andras
http://www.carnera3d.de

rock
11-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Among other things, it should have multi-level undo in Layout. The view ports should be consistent in Modeler and Layout. Solid pre-made character rigs should be in place (like XSI 3.0), so that in most cases we just concentrate on moving and animating the characters and objects instead of rigging them. But allow us to change it easily when we must. Don't give us the second-rate rig and tell us that if we want to avoid this, we have to do that.

Pre-made some of the most common effects in a few different cases (fire, smoke, water, rain, wind, cloth, collisions, glass) so that we just animate them instead of rigging them through so many dialog boxes and options. Give us the common ones (such as the choices of light fire, heavy fire or explosion, hard rain or drizzle) so we will tweak it when we must.

Multicharacter animations. Most of the tools are tedious even for one character animations. Make it easy and intuitive for us. We want to concentrate on the story line instead of even animations.

Premade most things that can be premade. We should not have to use 3 mouse clicks when 2 will do. When Lightwave simplifies, the workflow will be more powerful - but no simpler.

Rock

m_luscombe
11-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Whatever it ends up being, lets try not to call it LW8 (LightWeight) ;)

anieves
11-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by iratethemad
WHAT MERGE!!! WHY FIX SOMTHING THAT ISNT BROKEN I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT I LIKE HAVING MODELER AND LAYOUT AS SEPERATE APPS WHEN I WANT TO MODEL SOMTHING I JUST HAVE TO OPEN MODELER AND IF I JUST WANT TO ANIMATE SOMTHING I JUST OPEN LAYOUT WHY HAVE A BIG APP TAKE UP ALL YOUR RESOURCES???

man, you are angry! go kiss a puppy:)

as Mike RB said... as long as the assets ramain separate I have no problems with a merge.

Munson
11-02-2002, 11:02 PM
I don`t see LW going beyond 7.5, infact chinese whispers would say so aswell. I suspect LW7.5 is going to become LW5.6 and the last of a generation. I think whatever the new soft will be it`ll be version 1.0 and not called Lightwave 3D anymore. A sad day but also a exciting one.

:buttrock:

mix
11-02-2002, 11:19 PM
Munson,
becoming a next generation soft may be true, but losing the name:surprised , I doubt it.

Cman
11-02-2002, 11:30 PM
I can hardly imagine Lightwave being more powerful! I mean, we all know there's things we'd like to see LW have, but imagine them all be fulfilled! :applause:

chris411
11-03-2002, 01:13 AM
That is an interesting idea Munson... although I can't see NT dropping a name like Lightwave. They may however go the Softimage route and create something like Lightwave|infinite.
As far as the interface: first of all, DO NOT make something new like Carrera, Bryce or Poser's interface. Those look absolutely terrible. Second, a merge is good. It should be just a tab for Modelling, a tab for Animation and a tab for rendering. The picture Eugeny posted was pretty much perfect- I would prefer just lots of shades of of gray over the drab greens and oranges. Keep away from drop down menus like other apps have, as it is easier having everything on the left. And keep the numerical menus floating, as for me at least 3ds max's num. panels on the right really don't get me working.
I'm confident that Newtek will make a progam that will challenge Softimage and Maya as the best program available.

KillMe
11-03-2002, 01:17 AM
the might not go with lightwave 8 but you can bet it will be lightwave something - the brand name is too well know to abandon it

=) lets have a name competition hmw aht could be the prise for the person who guesses correctly i'm going to go with

lightwave. hmmmmmm...... hmmmmmmm

ok this is going to take some more tought =)

Howzat
11-03-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by chris411
I'm confident that Newtek will make a progam that will challenge Softimage and Maya as the best program available.

I hope so too, but I think we sometimes expect too much considering the price difference... It seems crazy to expect a $1250 program to be as good as a $7000 program!! But lightwave is doing a pretty good job so far looking at the work that gets produced using it.

chris411
11-03-2002, 01:25 AM
=) lets have a name competition hmw aht could be the prise for the person who guesses correctly i'm going to go with
We currently have LightWave 3D
How about...
LightWave infinite
LightWave Octa

m_luscombe
11-03-2002, 01:52 AM
Lightwave: Infinity

Sounds good. 8 sideways could be an infinity symbol.

Cman
11-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Ooooh. m_luscombe, you hit on something there, eh? :)

iso
11-03-2002, 02:05 AM
That would be cool, but would that mean there would be no more upgrades from that point on? :)

m_luscombe
11-03-2002, 02:24 AM
Just playing with type :)

http://www.maumedia.com/testbed/lw_infinity.jpg

toonshady
11-03-2002, 02:48 AM
nice, I like that illustration.

Howzat
11-03-2002, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by iso
That would be cool, but would that mean there would be no more upgrades from that point on? :)

:) that would be infinity plus 1 :)
"Lightwave Infinity Plus One, It's Unreal!"

m_luscombe
11-03-2002, 03:27 AM
Although, if one of the selling points is the modeller/layout merger, they could call it:

Lightwave: Unity

or

Lightwave: Fusion

or something like that. Or they could start the numbering over like another company:

Lightwave X1

daftlamb
11-03-2002, 05:13 AM
m_luscombe

cool logo!;) ,l like it,i think the" infinite" is a good idea
do you know "mecca"?

m_luscombe
11-03-2002, 05:19 AM
I'm very new here. Should I know "mecca"?

I've only had LW for a few months, so I'm new to this whole thing =)

chris411
11-03-2002, 05:53 AM
I'm glad everyone likes the idea. :) m_luscombe, the logo is VERY cool.... However remember that this is not Lightwave 8, but a new lightwave that we are naming. Lightwave-Fusion is also cool too. I personally love how Softimage writes the name, with the |, but I doubt Newtek would copy that. LightWave|Infinite LightWave|Infinity and LightWave|Fusion all look really good like that.

Munson
11-03-2002, 08:48 AM
as long as they do a job like Alias wavefront did with Maya then I don`t care what they call it! I know everyone has a problem with Maya and seem to all love XSI but they are bascially the same, A|W does have the whole corporation thing going on which people don`t like. I can`t see where Luxology* can fail to improve on LW7.5, make it one package without need for the useless HUB and organise it well its a winner.

* well I believe that Luxology is making it, no matter what NT say :p

I heard the code name Nexus somewhere... so u never know.

takkun
11-03-2002, 11:10 AM
Someone mentioned here that if the apps were merged then you can have seperate tabs for modeling and animating, what's the point? I can do that right now- there's a thing called a taskbar or I can press F12 or Alt-Tab. I don't see what the benefits of merging the apps would bring, most of the 3d programs out there have become slow and bloated with too much code yet LW has remained very streamlined and fast. Someone mentioned that they want to have bones in modeler, then why don't they just add bones to modeler, why would they have to merge the apps to accomplish that?

And why do people think that Newtek should rename Lightwave? Are people afraid of apps going into the double digits? I think Lightwave 10 sounds cool, yet Lightwave|Infinity 3.0 sounds lame to me. Shorter the better, A|W has the right idea.

isnowboard
11-03-2002, 11:52 AM
LightWave Modeler 7.5 Build 477
Copyright 1987-2001 Stuart H. Ferguson

Lightwave 3D 7.5 Build 572
Copyright 1990 - 2001 Newtek

Right in the packages themselves. Conflicting I would say. Yes, Newtek is the sole owner of Lightwave 3D. Too bad they can't take modeler with them. Check yourself. Newtek won't be changing the name. I think Luxology will be taking modeler with them and building their own animation package with Modeler as a base. I think Newtek is rewriting everything. Pure speculation, but this does fall under Chuck's many quotes that Lightwave 3D is indeed Newtek's. Maybe the real question is, what about LightWave Modeler........

Howzat
11-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Whoa talk about a conspiracy theory isnowboard!!

yon dabuda
11-03-2002, 12:18 PM
lightwave|XLW

hehee :D

to merge or not to merge doesnt really matter. what matters is what it can do, and how it will work, whatever they do.

if it merges, i hope that everything is arranged in very smart order, so there is not a lot of clutter. i hope it doesnt take 5 minutes to load like other programs. i hope the workflow gets better and not worse :)

if it stays seperate, i hope we get a lot of things, all the things we've asked for.

but maybe by merging, lightwave advancement will come much faster because the programers can work on just one program instead of 2. i dont know. whatever.
:thumbsup:

yon dabuda
11-03-2002, 12:24 PM
wow, maybe there will be 2 versions of lightwave in the future. lightwave3d|newtek and lightwave|luxology.

hehheh...

DotPainter
11-03-2002, 12:56 PM
I dont think that merging modeller and layout will necessarily make the app slower. IMO, the only reason other apps are bloated and slow is because of new stuff being dumped on an old frame. If they totally rewrite the core with the new lightwave, hopefully it will work verrry smoothly merged or not. That seems to be part of the reason for the rewrite, to redo the core with an eye to smoother integration of features across the board, now and in the future....... I hope that it kicks serious arse when it comes out!!!! (and at a price you can afford....):scream:

I am holding my cash waiting to see what comes next........

isnowboard
11-03-2002, 01:06 PM
http://isnowboard.tripod.ca/AboutLW.jpg
Chuck? Phillp? Proton?

erikals
11-03-2002, 08:21 PM
I want LW8 to be able to do this....
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/animations/deformation_levelset.m1v

(..in my opinion this kicks ass)

Also LW8 should handle the rendering of 3 sided polygons MUCH better, like Maya for example. I converted a LW object to a Maya object and Maya does the rendering much better. Also from what I know 3Dstudio Max and Softimage does this better as well. Hey, I love LW, but how come they cant' fix this??

Mike RB
11-03-2002, 08:30 PM
whats going on thats so fancy in that video? I can replicate that right now using HV's.

Mike

erikals
11-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Hmm, how can you do that, it's a solid shape animating into a "dissolved?" shape...

Eugeny
11-03-2002, 09:08 PM
It's animated point cloud with metabols (or HV) - then points is too close one to other u get solid body ...

Tottebias
11-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Yeah, that's no biggie. You could do it in LW with Hv's.

erikals
11-03-2002, 10:41 PM
After some testing...
You right - me wrong :blush:

He must have had a pretty fast machine though...

vangaans
11-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi Mdme_Sadie, you said

imagine you could model an object, and just switch to the animation section or an animation layer. your object already there, placed at 0,0... any movements made to the object here aren't reflected in the modelling layer, you selet the object and go to modelling layer, and there it is, either edit in place, or edit in it's own layer.

You can already do this... just activate the hub

Per-Anders
11-03-2002, 11:12 PM
i know... but the idea was to imagine it working in a unified program... that's all. it's me imagining that so that poeple who're worried about not being able to do that shouldnt worry at all.

Munson
11-04-2002, 12:19 PM
thats the neat bit of info Isnowboard. I think that is exactly what Luxology is about. I think its a company formed to contain the 2 parts of the LW puzzle. I`m not sure where the copyrights will go, but the code will be owned by luxology and will be published by Newtek? or owned and published by Newtek. Not sure where code stands. But now everyone is in one boat they can start rowing in the same direction ! :buttrock: and that means better beef for us!

thats my interpetation anyway, and I`m sticking to it.

wmendez
11-04-2002, 03:36 PM
This is a subject that Newtek does not like to talk about, yes they own the name Lightwave 3D. But if you look at the screen shots of developers listed on the about screen. almost all of them are with Luxology now hmmm....there is alot of speculation on what the future might be.

contest are cool and fun, but users want the long awaited update and (IMO) would like Newtek to focus on that instead of monthly contest.

I have already made a choice on what app im sticking with but trust me if Luxology ever came out with a 3D product (the key word here is *IF*) rest assure it is going to be kick ass and would definitly up the ante in the 3D animation and FX market.

Chuck Baker
11-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by isnowboard
LightWave Modeler 7.5 Build 477
Copyright 1987-2001 Stuart H. Ferguson

Lightwave 3D 7.5 Build 572
Copyright 1990 - 2001 Newtek

Right in the packages themselves. Conflicting I would say. Yes, Newtek is the sole owner of Lightwave 3D. Too bad they can't take modeler with them. Check yourself. Newtek won't be changing the name. I think Luxology will be taking modeler with them and building their own animation package with Modeler as a base. I think Newtek is rewriting everything. Pure speculation, but this does fall under Chuck's many quotes that Lightwave 3D is indeed Newtek's. Maybe the real question is, what about LightWave Modeler........

When I refer to LightWave 3D, I'm talking about the whole product, not just Layout. NewTek holds all rights to LightWave 3D, and we certainly intend to continue our development of the product and any derivative products. We have not authorized any other company to develop Lightwave 3D or any derivative products. The copyright statements really do not indicate a division in the rights to develop and produce the product and any derivative products.

Chuck Baker
11-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Munson
thats the neat bit of info Isnowboard. I think that is exactly what Luxology is about. I think its a company formed to contain the 2 parts of the LW puzzle. I`m not sure where the copyrights will go, but the code will be owned by luxology and will be published by Newtek? or owned and published by Newtek. Not sure where code stands. But now everyone is in one boat they can start rowing in the same direction ! :buttrock: and that means better beef for us!

thats my interpetation anyway, and I`m sticking to it.

There's no need for "a company formed to hold the 2 parts of the LW puzzle," since LW isn't a puzzle (in that fragmentary sense :)), there aren't two parts and NewTek in fact holds all rights to the product. Everything was in one boat to begin with. Again, NewTek holds all rights to LightWave 3D and any derivative products, and intends to continue our development of Lightwave 3D and any derivative products, just as we have done for more than a dozen years now.

Munson
11-04-2002, 04:57 PM
fair enough Chuck :) just y`know them rumours that get around, they make people jump to conclusions about the inner workings and the progress of said software and its derivative products.

there is still something going on at luxology :p hehe

Looks like your on to something wmendes!

"Stuart worked on the LightWave product from 1990 through 2001, and in addition to modeling was responsible for much of the general application infrastructure"

"He[Allen] created NewTek's LightWave 3D in 1989 and remained the primary force behind its animation and rendering algorithms through 2001"

so this being 2002, I wonder whats going on... sorry for digging Chuck, its good thinking up all the possiblilies.

Chuck Baker
11-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by wmendez
This is a subject that Newtek does not like to talk about, yes they own the name Lightwave 3D. But if you look at the screen shots of developers listed on the about screen. almost all of them are with Luxology now hmmm....there is alot of speculation on what the future might be.

contest are cool and fun, but users want the long awaited update and (IMO) would like Newtek to focus on that instead of monthly contest.

I have already made a choice on what app im sticking with but trust me if Luxology ever came out with a 3D product (the key word here is *IF*) rest assure it is going to be kick ass and would definitly up the ante in the 3D animation and FX market.

Will, you are seeing a false "either/or" decision here. The efforts of the Marketing staff have no effect on the progress of the programming staff, other than if the Marketing staff efforts push sales of new seats and upgrades, that certainly helps keep the company going, including the programming staff. Revenue is, after all, an absolute necessity. But beyond that, one has absolutely nothing to do with the other, and it would certainly be a mistake for the Marketing staff not to keep the user community active and engaged.

Secondly, NewTek holds all rights to LightWave 3D and any derivative products. This is not simply a matter of owning the name - we hold all rights to develop and market the product and any derivative products. We have done so with a wide variety of talented programmers on staff or as contractors over the years, many of whom have moved on to other companies or projects after their stint on LightWave. When staff depart, new staff are hired. This process happens with any software development company.

While we do not have a relationship with Luxology, our contractual relationships with Allen Hastings and Stuart Ferguson remain in place and development is ongoing. Additionally, those contractual relationships include very strong non-compete agreements, so Allen and Stuart would not be able to promote, assist with or work on products similar to their work for NewTek.

isnowboard
11-04-2002, 05:21 PM
That's the most clear statement I've heard from you Chuck. Back to Lightwave then, as it currently is a great product. :)

wmendez
11-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Chuck,

Marketing is good and has improved so cheers for that. Stu and allen are on contract but they are surely taking longer on a release than usual.

Chuck Baker
11-04-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by wmendez
Chuck,

Marketing is good and has improved so cheers for that. Stu and allen are on contract but they are surely taking longer on a release than usual.

We just released 7.5 in April, and will be releasing the Linux render node this quarter as previously announced. One might reasonably expect a maintenance upgrade within a few months of a major point revision, but would also expect that substantially more time would pass before another major release would come along.

wmendez
11-04-2002, 06:11 PM
damm April...seemed longer but Touché Chuck :) Linux renderer is a plus especially for the studios...

I myself am running Linux

mbaldwin
11-04-2002, 06:32 PM
munson wrote:

"But now everyone is in one boat they can start rowing in the same direction ! and that means better beef for us! "

hey. no one told me our beef is being delivered by boat. In the future, if our beef is going to be shipped via rowboat, someone has to let me know. I cannot stress the importance of being privy to aforementioned beef-by-boat shipments. I would be curious to hear Chuck's explaination as to why this isn't happening.

hee.

-m.

Chewey
11-04-2002, 06:47 PM
No offense intended to Will but am I the only one who's wondering why an XSI convert is taking the time to stir the pot here?

Hasn't this Luxology vs Newtek topic been hammered to death enough already?

LyonHaert
11-04-2002, 07:05 PM
it has.

Munson
11-04-2002, 07:11 PM
hehe if only! it`ll carry on until the product ships, c`mon man u remember the LW[6] saga.. guess what Pavlov is etc.. what have they done this that and the other.

yeah, beef delivered by boat, especially while everyone is rowing in the same direction tastes the best! ;)

wmendez
11-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Chewey none taken :)

I view a majority of the threads here on CG Channel, Inside CG, etc. even though I dont care much for max or maya I still like to see what is going on. If I there was a job opening for LWavers in my area I would not ignore it simply because XSI is my default app. I still am a Newtek customer and have the LW that comes with my toaster as well :) I still have a certain attachment to LW as I used it for many years have 2 tattoos of thier logos (old and new)

yes the Newtek Vs Luxology has been beaten to death on numerous boards.

I just added my 2 cents when I saw the thread but the imperative word I used was *IF* luxology comes out with something, never siad they were.

The CEO of Newtek even called me becuase of the concerns I and others have. Sorry I can't get into details about the conversation but none the less it was an insightful discussion.

KillMe
11-04-2002, 09:31 PM
damn that sounds liek lightwave 8?infinity what ever its going to end up being called, is going to be a while longer =(

any hint on how long a while is? january say?

CIM
11-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Lightwave 8 and/or the next-gen Lightwave are not expected until sometime in 2003. And as Chuck said, another point upgrade will be released sometime this quarter (maybe an early Christmas present), which will include the Linux render node.

KillMe
11-04-2002, 10:57 PM
the question is when in 2003 as i said january would be nice =) but decemeber would not

CIM
11-04-2002, 11:35 PM
I guess they'll save it for Siggraph.

Howzat
11-04-2002, 11:46 PM
I hope it doesn't get released for about another 10 years... That should give me just enough time to learn lightwave 7.5 nicely!
:beer:

takkun
11-05-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by KillMe
the question is when in 2003 as i said january would be nice =) but decemeber would not I wasn't supposed to mention this but it's coming out on february 31st 2003, (doh! LNT beat me to it)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.