PDA

View Full Version : Nick Rosario- Character Animation Demo Reel

salokcin82
08-15-2005, 11:47 PM
http://www.nickrosario.com/dial.jpg

Hey guys,

My name is Nick Rosario and I am about to start my last semester at the Academy of Art University. I recently got my website up and running and finished my animation demo reel. It’s been a tough year- full of a lot of countless hours tweaking f-curves and pushing pixels but it’s finally paying off. I’m about to start looking for a job in the next month or so but I would like to get some feedback about my reel before I start shipping it off in large quantities.

It’s about 5 megs (480x360)...

Demo Reel (http://www.nickrosario.com/reel.mov)

Thanks a lot.

Nick Rosario
www.nickrosario.com

Special thanks to my buddy Tomo Harashima for the mirror…
Mirror 1 (http://www.tomoharashima.com/nick/reel.mov)
and my buddy Dan Moy...
Mirror 2 (http://www.dansgarbage.com/nick/reel.mov)

Aluuk
08-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Awesome work man! I'm digging it! I can't wait to see what you create in your last semester of school! You rocked Hogan!

Front Page material in my opinion!

blz
08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
very good animation
top stuff

Jamus
08-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Man Nick, you rock! Loving every second of it. I don't know how you guys did it in class but you guys are definitely inspiring. I'm with Leif, can't wait to see your final reel when you graduate, it'll be something else! :bounce:

Chems
08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
I thought it was all great, really good expressions and feelings conveyed. The only one I think isnt quite right it the Jump animation. Something a little off about that.

RockinAkin
08-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Awesome reel - great animation and sketches.
Finding work with this shouldn't be a problem at all :thumbsup:

Cryptite
08-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Great work, man. I was caught right when I realized it was Kip. :)

Mr-BlueSummers
08-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Smart, slick, and entertaining. A Pleasure to watch, and a show of true talent. The simplicity of your models helps me see the keen movements, and keen movements means 5 stars.

What a reel!

harmless
08-16-2005, 12:39 AM
You have a great sense of timing and movement. I like how you animated non-character objects like the leaf.

I am not sure why but some of the animations seem a little slow to me. Maybe a little faster action in some of them? Also the character in the beginning doesn't look properly rigged for lip sync although it is a funny clip. Maybe place it at the end of the reel instead of the beginning and put a stronger piece like the parachute animations first? Other than that I have no crits.

Great animation.

ivanisavich
08-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Fantastic real :) I hope it gets on the frontpage :)

Darn your school! So much good work comes out of it! :D

Baka-san
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
dude good stuff make me relized what is wrong woth my site and show reel i feel a shamed:sad:
some one hold me becuse i suck:sad:

but any whay dude keep on Rocking babye:buttrock:

Jinian
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
Great stuff. The Reel is presented quite nicely and a well deserved front page. The weight shift is kind off floaty here and there, and there are movements and gestures that the timing could be pushed a little bit faster to give off more expression, but an overall nice reel. I saw your portfolio and i dig the style of your drawings. Good luck with finding a job.

scottiedoo
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Nice job Nick,

Got some really great animators coming out of AA.

Good luck on your last bit of college and I'm sure you will find a great studio to work at when you are done.

Keep it up, look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

-Scott

studiomaxer3d
08-16-2005, 12:45 AM
very good work. i think you have some nice drawings as well.. you should include some more of those on the reel.

Fragola
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Fantastic work on getting front page. Your hard work and abuse to your wrist paid off...er...you know what I'm saying. Good luck on the job hunt, you won't need it.

MattVogt
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I enjoyed. the only thing that caught my eye: the fridge seemd a bit weightless on the way back up -> the down looks great but maybe just give that knee a stronger shake and give him a struggle on the way up like a "stagger" or someting

great work have fun in the industry!

oh ps dope job on matching the bps with the walk good idea

spirogyro
08-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Great stuff, where can I get that rig?

cat33
08-16-2005, 01:07 AM
HAHAHAA napoleon dynamite!!! thats too funny! Really nice reel, congrats on getting front page, I'm sure you will be getting lots of exposure now. Good luck with the job hunt. :bounce:

_cat

isolated vertex
08-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Awesome reel! Everything was freaking amazing. Maybe one day I can get there. One thing that I noticed though was that the music was too abrupt at the end. It was just a half a second or so too long.

Mephistoau
08-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Ahhh fantastic reel nick :) I remember when i first saw your work, illustrations of dwarves over at elfwood :P Still a huge fan, good luck with your last year University mate!!

Regards,
Evan

tinrocket
08-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Nice work, but I must point out something that I see happening a lot which I again see here:

I think it's very bad that people don't credit the audio/music sources they use. I'm not even going to get into fair-use/copyright issues. You may admire and respect the work of the people who's audio/music you use, but to not at least credit your sources is very unprofessional in my opinion. It also shows a discourtesy toward the creatives in sister industries.

As a portfolio reviewer, what would I think? This guy didn't credit Napoleon Dynamite for the first segment, what else could this guy be 'borrowing' ?

Mr. John

erilaz
08-16-2005, 01:27 AM
The thing that stands out most about your reel is the subtlety of it. You animate characters doing normal human things. Not too extreme, just beautiful normal things. The hanging parachuter is brilliant. Nothing much going on, but so much character. THAT is truly good animation. Very impressive.

Very, very impressive.

Seriously.

Love it. :D

(I've watched this reel 5 or 6 times now)

Morganism
08-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey, front page man! Congrats on the fine work, you already know I dig it, so rock on!

EricLyman
08-16-2005, 01:49 AM
Very nice, especially the first clip. Personally I would eliminate the jump over the chasm, and the last one with the bandit. Those are hurting your reel IMO. Great job otherwise!

MosaFacku
08-16-2005, 01:59 AM
i think most of it is pretty good, heres a couple of things that stuck out the most when i watched:

1. the lip synch is really mushy on the first clip, the "we chat online for like 2 hrs every day" is a particularly rough spot.

2. the sky diver guy, when he exits the plane, you've got a really good idea to make him spiral out like old time cartoons, but its just not smooth enough yet, i think with just a little tweaking, it'll be really good.

anyways, thats it for now. good stuff dude.

Seemoo
08-16-2005, 02:12 AM
hey nick

Very very very cool stuff. The Hogan Dynamite gets me every time...
Keep up the awesome work. I hope you still sign up for the P3 class next semester... Would be great learning from you!

See you at school

simon

salokcin82
08-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Wow…Sorry if I don’t respond to everyone but trust me- I am paying full attention to all critiques.

Chems- I have had a few people comment on the jump being “off”. A lot of people don’t like the little slide I put in at the end. I’ll have to re-evaluate that one.

Harmless- Hogan is not the best rig in the world but I really can’t complain. We all try to make best with him. I will defiantly put some thought into your suggestion.

Jinian/MattVogt- The weight animation was a nightmare. I could really spend some more time on it (all my animations actually) but I really want to move ahead and start my next project. Maybe I’ll go back to it before I send out the reel. BTW- Matt- Thanks for noticing the syncing of the music! To be honest, it all sorta worked itself out on its own.

Spirogyro- I have no clue what the policy is on the rig at our school. AAU provides it to all the students. I’ll have to look into it unless someone else knows around here.

Isolated Vertex- I’ll try to soften it up a bit for the final.

Tinrocket- you have a good point. I credit Napoleon Dynamite on my site but not on the reel. Out of all the instructors at the school that I have talked to about reels no one has ever made it a point to credit it on the reel itself… but I can see where your coming from.

Erilaz- I can’t help but make it a point to thank you for your post. Thanks:)

Morganism- hahahahahahaha nice name Morgan!

Mezza550- All these animation exercises were assignments from 2 classes. The jump was strictly a jump and nothing more…kinda boring…same with the walk. If anything I need to go back to the jump and put a little more love into it.

mosaFacku- I would have to agree with you on both. The last spiral of the plane was animated so many times over…still needs work...aaaarrrrrgggggg

Seemoo- Thanks Simon…Hogan Dynamite- that’s awesome…I might have to change the title for that one.

Thanks again everyone!

dansgarbage
08-16-2005, 02:25 AM
nice job man! You made frontpage. All that hard work and look. I would hire your ass in a second, hope to work with you in the future.

cramer3d
08-16-2005, 02:44 AM
nice dude.

i like it A LOT. the stuff looked great in class and even better rendered.
good going. so ... when do you want to start... and where :)

give me a call.
later.
p.

tomoyuki
08-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Hey Nick

Congrats on getting front page. Great stuff dude.

Tomo

--
Tomo Harashima
www.tomoharashima.com (http://www.tomoharashima.com/)

Chanchito
08-16-2005, 03:01 AM
"As a portfolio reviewer, what would I think? This guy didn't credit Napoleon Dynamite for the first segment, what else could this guy be 'borrowing' ?"

Oh give me a break :rolleyes:

Great stuff on the reel salokcin82. Top notch stuff that will get you places for sure.

Was the character supposed to slide a little bit though when he touches down after the jump? Other than that tiny thing your reel is sizzling.

Nice one

cg219
08-16-2005, 03:10 AM
Is that a custom rig you are using in this reel? If not can you tell us where you got it from?

Bandicoot
08-16-2005, 03:11 AM
I love the fridge animation. Stress issues aside, it's exactly how I lift really big, heavy objects. I always place my chin on the top of it and push with all of my might. I think the music really accented what you were trying to accomplish and it focused on what mattered to you -- animation.

alfy
08-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Awesome animation. It's really hard to come by good animators these days. I'm sure you will have no problem finding work.

Zephyrpower
08-16-2005, 03:59 AM
Wow, Now that is a job well-done! I don't have sound but I Love the animation I saw!

The animation all seemed dang-near perfect and superb for student work! I'd say it's pretty close to industry standard and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a good job!

Keep it up and let us know how it goes!

vilen13
08-16-2005, 05:35 AM
whoaaa.. impresive works nick.. :) :bounce:

Morganism
08-16-2005, 07:26 AM
I have no clue what the policy is on the rig at our school. AAU provides it to all the students. I’ll have to look into it unless someone else knows around here.

Generally I don't think they want the rig made available to the public. Don't worry though, it's nothing too fancy. It just looks good because it's animated well. :)

Goro
08-16-2005, 09:45 AM
absolutely stunning! I like the first animation best I guess....
Best luck on the jobhunt. Sure there'll be no problem.

Damn...I should practice more on short animations and work them out...

Cheers!
Goro

3DEffects
08-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Wow! Such a great Animation Reel! Very Well done!:D

squeezestudio
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
fantastic work ! Like your animation .. nothing to say about it ! Congradulation

xX_eXiGe_Xx
08-16-2005, 10:48 AM
That was very amazing animtion right there, i loved it! :bounce:

senateboy
08-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Hollllllllllllllaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

he wears INCREDIBLES UNDERWEAR, and we have the picture to proove it!
awsome dude.if there was anyone that could rock my socks off, i would nominate Nickolass Pimpstadora Rosario.
*hug
*kiss
*lips

Congrats man. me love.

Jack009
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Nice!~~~ good work!:eek:

Winner
08-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice reel. High quality of presentation also...

What is the name of the music track ?

loocas
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Ha haaa... :D pretty wicked man! Very well done! I loved all the animation and the models as well :thumbsup: http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif from me dude :buttrock:

Siriol
08-16-2005, 02:01 PM
A true natural animator!! Fantastic work mate :thumbsup:

omarhib
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
wow.... your reel is just wow.. it is great 5 Stars from me mate...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aforetaste
08-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Very nice reel! Wow!

Blessings as you look for work!

huskyboss
08-16-2005, 02:49 PM
good good good 4* for u :-) 4*G good idea, good job, good realization, good character modeling I like this man is very sad but he has very funny moves :-)

Omita
08-16-2005, 03:12 PM
I really wanted to see the finished crashing plane demo. I think you should combine the two reels (I remember your old reel).

The only animation I didn't care for was the delivery man. I thought that the facial expression on quivering knee was soo subtle. I think realistically there would be a little protection step and less slide. More performance is needed in the struggle to lift it, it still seems way to effortless. Over all the weighting seems to be off. There should be a initical tug that fails to establish just how heavy the item is. Then it should do a second attempts either using all the characters weight to get it off the ground, then a scramble when the fridge is about neutral, then the struggle to stop the fridge. Then back to control. Over all I think the character need to be more animated to catch my attention. Especially considering it the only animation that deals with extreme weight.

I think it stands out from the other animations not because it's poor, but because it isn't the same quality as your other peices.

Amazing work over all. I could write a page on each animation and how much I like them aside from the one Crit.

-Hays

Omita
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
I really wanted to see the finished crashing plane demo. I think you should combine the two reels (I remember your old reel).

HUH.... I just was digging though our collection of Reels and I realized that your didn't do those other animation I was thinking of. Leif Jeffers did... who must have gone to your school because you have the same rig. Hmmm... I guess I will be more careful. It looks like your school is recommending that you make identical reels too because Nick and Leif have almost identicle Reels in terms of layout. The same advice in music choices, non rock, non techno selection. Hmm... when I see this rig again I will remember to be aware that it most likely a different student. Looks like that School in SF if doing a good job pumping you guys out. :) I think both you and Leif are very tallented especially considing your fresh out of school.

Here a image of Leif's reel... just to fill other in.

http://boards.omita.com/Leif_webreel_April.png

-Hays

rwijaya
08-16-2005, 04:10 PM
nice reel, this is my 2 cent.

the landing on the jump has a slide. even i'm not an animator and i could see that.

your animation lack the most part that i like about animation, acting. all i see in your reel are action, action and action. You don't let your character that you animated with to improvise, and think.

good job finishing the reel, goodluck with everything.

salokcin82
08-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks again guys!

I actually had a couple people ask my what compression I used for my reel so I thought I’d just post this to let everyone know. It was a grueling process finding the best quality to file size ratio. I was amazed when I ended up with 4.5 megs for an entire reel. First off I used Quicktime Pro with a Sorenson Video 3 codec. I left the frame rate at 24fps and keyed frames every 48 frames. I changed data rate to automatic and compressor quality to medium. The sound was AAC set at Mono with a rate of 22.050 kHz. Aside for that I prepared it for internet streaming and presto!...4.5MB

Chanchito- lol, Thanks man;)

Cg219- I think morganism clears it up. Aside from school policy, more importantly, I don’t think other students of the school would appreciate if everyone and their mother had a rig they pay so much to use.

Squeeze- Thanks, I really enjoy your work

Senateboy- just don’t let those leak…please!!! I will be forever banded from the animation world!!!

Winner- the song is Mambo #8 by Perez Prado…It’s off the soundtrack to one of my most cherished movies- Office Space

Omita- Thanks for the pointers…it’s really not my favorite animation because I see so many problems with it. I mentioned earlier I really want to move ahead for the moment but before I send this out go back to it. I was a little thrown off by the “crash demo” I have but yeah, I think you were thinking of Leif’s reel. Leif and I went through the Pixar Character Animation classes together. Every class we would throw ideas back and forth to each other. The guy is awesome. Thanks for the great comments.

syndrome
08-16-2005, 07:18 PM
very lively and fun to watch
great animations man!

Winner
08-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Nick. Have fun getting your first job - you won't have a problem....

gttowns
08-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Nick, he's so hot right now.... Nick,

Like the motha of humpas senateboyz said, me love! I must have missed the Incredi underwears at the last "user meeting" but man can I believe it! Looks great Nicknilla, keep it up and for the love of Pete put some pants on!

Gerg of clan down unda thunda
www.gregtowner.com (http://www.gregtowner.com)

AnimaticFanatic
08-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Congratulations!!!

Awesome Finish Nick! You have some Exceptional work and a great ability to express an aesthetic piece of art, in an extremely difficult, but gratifying medium. You will no doubt go far in this industry.

and I’m going to be right there. muahahah, In Hawaii.......:P

Hexodam
08-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Just wow

this is one of the... no THE best animation reel I have seen, you are in pixar league already... pixar.. HIRE HIM

webhead
08-17-2005, 01:16 AM
If I may ask a couple technical questions: What did you use to compress your reel? It looked nice and yet was only 5mb. Also, what software was used in the animation? Wish you well in your career!

Sparks
08-17-2005, 03:41 AM
Nice work man! The animation looks great and the gags are very thought out. I am also in the home stretch at AAU, strange that we haven't crossed paths.

Best of Luck!

D. Sparks

ap3pilot
08-17-2005, 06:16 AM
Hey man I dont know you, I am kind new to the industry with 2 years experience in feature films, but Duuuudeeee I am very impressed with your work, great stuff man!

Just a question mate, how do you get your showreel down to 5 meabytes at 480 by 380 resolution, cause I got my new reel that I want to post and its about 500 Megabytes 480 by 384 Res and I would love to get it down to 10 megabytes.

Any programs I need 2 use or download?

Anyways Cheers Man

JOHNC3D
08-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Great stuff. Awesome to see more AAU guys putting us on the map.

Squash-n-Stretch
08-17-2005, 07:58 AM
I d/l'd this last night and watched it.Full of humour. I wasn't a big fan of the jump but the rest was really good. Nice animation,and very humourous! I lol'ed many times.

feeesh
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Truly great, Pixar quality IMO!!!

Looking forward to seeing you name in the credits of great films!

-feeeeeeeeeeesh

Borro
08-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Really great work man. My favorite is the geek - really cool... Everything is absolutely incredible. Keep up the good work and Good Luck. :thumbsup:

kannu
08-17-2005, 07:27 PM
hahahaha, great work !!! gratulations ! very funny :))

feeesh
08-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I also forgot to mention in my previous post, you have a great sense of weight distribution in your animations man. Really good. The fridge scene is stellar, very well done! Same with how the character balances when throwing objects. Nice work!

feeeeeeeeesh

salokcin82
08-18-2005, 01:17 AM
This is a repost from my previous post about the compression…

First off I used Quicktime Pro with a Sorenson Video 3 codec. I left the frame rate at 24fps and keyed frames every 48 frames. I changed data rate to automatic and compressor quality to medium. The sound was AAC set at Mono with a rate of 22.050 kHz. Aside for that I prepared it for internet streaming and presto!...4.5MB

Hope this helps everyone out.

salokcin82
08-18-2005, 01:29 AM
OMG…thanks for all the kind remarks and crits. I really appreciate it all guys

Gttowns- Mr. Moons taking time out of his busy schedule of dining with PJ to comment on my pitiful reel. Thank you sir…I mean mate.

AnimaticFanatic- Hawaii sounds really nice right about now.

Hexodam- Wow… thank you very much. I wish you were in charge of hiring at Pixar:)

Sparks- Hmmm…weird we haven’t meet. Good luck to you with your final classes.

Jbarr- Thank you…just quicktime pro and try my settings with the post above. My reel was uncompressed .mov that was almost 2 gigs. With those settings I got it to 4.5…I am still amazed.

ares3d
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
Great reel I really love it! amazing job! :)

AmyScott-Murray
08-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Really funny - great reel. I like the idea of putting your stills into the credits, I'll have to remember that. :applause:

mia.alba
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
With this reel, you won't have any problems finding a job. That was absolutely outstanding!

Very impressed. I've watched it a dozen times.

5 stars!

Sugartastic_D_Slim
08-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Truly wonderful work! AAU, huh? I wish my school was teaching me stuff like that! :sad: Well, you are great at what you do! Rock on!:buttrock:

justynmagz
08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Hey man congrats on the Demo Reel. Looks real good!
I liked the beginning the best. Real good work!

-JustynMagz

ozy_g
08-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Awesome job Nick! Keep it up.

kenimator
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
So your underwear matches your pajamas and your lunchbox? Be sure to wear that on your first day at Pixar. Senateboy, post that sexy pic =)

looking forward to seeing you down here in LA - you sexy thang!

me love too

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.