PDA

View Full Version : does scale affect SBD?

stooch
08-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Im still having trouble with decent collision detection of IK animated mesh, tried using collision object primitives to do the job but its still unusable.

Is there a certain scale i should stick to when using dynamics? for example, it seems that some of my collision problems might be due to mathematical errors, since my object is built to scale (6 feet tall) will this cause problems with SBD? I know in other apps there are controls for the scale of effects to control the resolution and precision of calculations, is there a similar variable in messiah or would making my character 10x the size help any?

I have my character setup with shirt and shorts SBD, the sleeves and pant legs are pretty floppy so SBD is a good tool to use if it worked. So far its moving alright but its not actually using collision, when i try to add any collider objects the mesh just goes crazy, especially if i use collision distance (so far the biggest i can go is about .005 without making the mesh go crazy.

im also using a subpatch mesh, is that bad for collision? should i subdivide it and use the raw mesh?

this is driving me nuts.

ThomasHelzle
08-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Welcome to the club.

The default "scale" in messiah is one unit = one meter (like in Lightwave). Importing from other software can get you into trouble if stuff is too large or small, but I still have to find a scale in which SBDs collision works ;)

Maybe you can try the Joe Cosman way (see the pmG Website Tutorials)?

Cheers,

stooch
08-21-2005, 03:38 AM
lol, i pretty much memorized all the vids on that site allready :)

ThomasHelzle
08-21-2005, 11:31 AM
hehehe - I can imagine that - I just point it out since it seems to be the only way to get usable collision with the SBDs and the two new videos are hard to spot on the new page.
That method together with baking your SBDs/dynamics should work for a character like fido since you don't have a long cape or something to collide with.

Cheers,

stooch
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
hehehe - I can imagine that - I just point it out since it seems to be the only way to get usable collision with the SBDs and the two new videos are hard to spot on the new page.
That method together with baking your SBDs/dynamics should work for a character like fido since you don't have a long cape or something to collide with.

Cheers,

to be honest i have tried the sphere collisions to get the cloth to bend but to this day i havent really gotten anything useable. It either looks all bloated or just breaks and tears the sleeves, and it also kills that secondary motion i want too.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.