PDA

View Full Version : VFS Demo Reel

r1d3r
08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
http://rider3d.com/media/full/Forcgtalk.jpg

Hello everyone, my name is Johnathan Reiter and I just finished my demo reel, from Vancouver Film School. It is a modeling and texturing reel. The concepts are from Brom, Chain and Jane, McFarlane, and Watson Johnson.

Software used was XSI, Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, and Deep paint

My email 3d52johnathan@vfs.com (3d52johnathan@vfs.com)

Website is www.rider3d.com (http://www.rider3d.com/) website is still under construction

I am currently looking for work as a 3d modeler or texture artist

Critiques and comments are more then welcome, they are encouraged.

Thanks for checking out my reel.

Demo Reel here:

http://rider3d.com/media/reel/ModelingReel.mov (http://rider3d.com/media/reel/ModelingReel.mov)

Lowres....20meg .avi

http://rider3d.com/media/reel/3D52JohnR_ModelingReelComp1.avi

J.Wilson
08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
hey buddy,
congrats on finishing your reel, it looks awsome man!:thumbsup:
all the best in the future and good luck with the job hunt!
5 stars from me dude!

Scotcho
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
wow John very impressive.. you've got a excellent eye for detail and amazing skills for modeling and texturing. Hope to see more of your work in the future. Great job.

pum
08-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Awesome reel dude! I like the texturing on the outfit on the female the most.
All the hard work has paid off eh? Good luck in job hunt!Best of luck in the future.

HB

andrebranco
08-15-2005, 10:06 PM
:bounce: GREAT WORK OF ART! I have no crits at all...

...Congrats on finnishing your reel, it's done....and it is beautiful!

So, what's it gonna be? ILM? ACTIVISION? :buttrock:

I hope you find the job you want!

Cheerz!

Jesse-Irvin
08-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Lookin secksy John!

Congrats! I know you put all you had into this and it shows.

agasco
08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
congratulations jhon!! Thats some awesome reel, th dog the girl the robot the set, all very very f*ck*ng good! good luck in the future man!!

CHEERS!

shraga
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Jhon-

the way you pulled through with this demo reel is truly inspiring.
your work is of the highest quality and you'll have no trouble finding a job..
My personal favorite is the dog- but they're all awesome.
good luck in the future dude!

ShadowM8
08-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey John,
Great reel, all the hard work you've put into it really shows. Best of luck to you in the job hunt, you've got a bright future ahead of you as a 3d artist.

Bryn
08-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Hey bro,
Looks sweet, I guess all the hard work has definately payed off.
A Very profesional reel, I'm totally stoked on the dog, good luck.
See ye soon.
B

webhead
08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Nice models! The dog and the woman were especially well done. The textures on the woman are terrific. Wish you success in your career!

blz
08-15-2005, 11:49 PM
very nice one,congratz..
cool characters, good modelling

r1d3r
08-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the positive feed back.

Joey…. Thanks a lot; I can’t wait to see your reel…. Keep workin hard and you'll see the results. theres only couple months. so enjoy the summer break!

Adam…. Fishing is defiantly on the agenda, were ever we end up! It’s a small world out there and even small in the industry were getting into, keep up the hard work!

Herbert…. Thanks dude… you were always there when I had a question and for that I am extremely grateful. Cheers man!

Andre…. Thanks a lot mang. I can’t wait to see the firefighter when it’s done…. The finish line is soon approaching! keep workin hard!

Jessie… you the man Jessie! I couldn’t have asked for a better TA. You were always around when ever anyone needed you for help. You’re the best dude!

Alvaro…. Your work has inspired me since you started term 4… your stuff looks great. Keep putting in those long hours and everything will pay off in the end.

Shraga….. I love the panting you’re recreating in 3D…simply amazing work you got going on there! Beleave it!

Serguei.. A partner in crime… the set you got looks awesome.. You got to post your stuff and you’ll get some great reviews.

Bryn….every time I walk into the lab I get a laugh from you…. I can’t believe how fast you busted out that set of yours…. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors

Webhead…. Thanks for the positive feed back, and I thank you for that!

Blz… thanks for the congratz I appreciate it

dcmoutinho
08-16-2005, 03:04 AM
nice work, congratulations !!!

Heber
08-16-2005, 04:57 AM
great reel john , youve come along way from that guy who was asking me lots of questions hehe, great to see it all come together, my fav was the women by far .. best of luck in your job search and let me know about any crazy parties 52 is having :wise:

Severian
08-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey John,

Congrats on the wicked reel. You just keep getting better and better. I was pretty skeptical about that robot, but you definitely pulled it off. All in all you've come insanely far this past year, and frankly, I'm kinda scared to see what you'll be crankin out in the future. Don't oversaturate the market for the rest of us. Anyway, take it easy and keep in touch.

Cheers,
Chris

xX_eXiGe_Xx
08-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Amazing!~~~ good work!:eek:

Doobers
08-16-2005, 01:47 PM
**** yah dude. I think I still like the robot the best because of how fast you built it, great job and good luck!!!

gardogg
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
In terms of showing off the work you did on your reel, GREAT JOB. The models were great too. However, the time you put into the reel itself really makes a difference. You've inspired me.

Jack009
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Very Nice!~~~ good work!:eek:

SLUCT
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
u´ve chosen very nice characters....
the suit of the female char is modeled very accurate.
good work ! :beer:

J.Wilson
08-16-2005, 03:22 PM
FRONT PAGE!!
congrats buddy, you deserve it, all that hard work and those long nights have payed off,job well done. best of luck
cheers

loocas
08-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice models and texturing man, I especially liked the doggie :)

Keep it up and good luck with the job hunting :thumbsup:

Oh, btw: http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_4.gif from me man :thumbsup:

FiYoG
08-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Well done, congrats!

silent_soul
08-16-2005, 05:07 PM
:applause: Great Job!!! Excellent variety of models to demonstrate your skills. Quadruped, biped, hard surface and environment! Great stuff.

Loved the reel layout and the timing. Just enough info and not too long. Good luck on the job search.

Neil
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Your female character was the strongest. I don't feel like the hallway at the end added anything to your reel. You wanted this to be primarily modeling and texturing, but the model is simplistic... it's a hallway. The lighting was kinda cartooney, very strong purples and not much contrast or falloff to the lights.
I would build the hallway up more, and showcase it more along the lines of environmental modeling/level design and show some wider shots or focus on the textures.
The wire shots were also kinda hard to read, atleast on my monitor, i would be nice if you added some self illumination to the material to help the wires "pop".

On a side note, you're the second VFS to make a front page appearance with a demo reel, and you also used MOV as your format. Why aren't you guys just using DIVX? It's very widely used. Are you guys being told differently?
I mean your DR is 60+mb and the other guys was too. Your server is only gonna live for like 2 days. If your worried about lose of quality, that's why you send out lossless formats on vhs or dvd/cd to the companies. Otherwise, for simple critiquing from the web world, like us, just make it as small as possible.
Lots of people on here are still on dial up too. They probably are reluctant to dl 60mb files.

Heber
08-16-2005, 07:44 PM
On a side note, you're the second VFS to make a front page appearance with a demo reel, and you also used MOV as your format. Why aren't you guys just using DIVX? It's very widely used. Are you guys being told differently?

second? there were many of us in the last few months here on front page, and tons over the last couple of years, to be honest web output was something not covered in our curriculum but i think we all tend to hover around 60mb mov for quality reasons but i agree divx is probably a better codec to use.
oh yeah congrats on front page john.

K_Digital
08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
nice reel, i think thats the first time i seen a female on a VFS reel.

Cinimod
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Hey John, Congrats on the Great reel! :thumbsup: All your models are pretty amazing, but the Dog and your Girl are my favs. Thanks for all the z brush pointers back when, and Good Luck in future.

Dom

Chanchito
08-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey looking nice!

Surely one of the better modeling reels I've seen in a while, but I would cut that hallway you got in the end completely from the reel, looks very rushed.

Good job and congrats on the frontpage:thumbsup:

to-hell-u-ride
08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
wuddup dude. no more render compititions......darn.... shucks. great demo. hope things work out for you and thanks for all your help.

-jamie

Breoniks
08-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey John, congrats on front page!! The time spent shows man. Now go celebrate!

r1d3r
08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone thanks for all the feed back.

Dcmountinho… thanks for the support

Heber…. I got to thank you for all the help you gave me. You were always more then happy to help me out when I needed it. You missed the big party, I think you were camping???

Chris… thanks Chris; I could always count on you to give me a helping hand even when you were learning Maya! And your tank looks amazing!!! You have a very bright future ahead of you.

Exige… thanks for your support

Doobers…. Thanks doobers and good luck to you as well

Gardogg…. Thanks gardogg…. Taking the time in compositing really helps… good luck to you.

Jack009…. Thanks for the support jack

Comaoe…. Thanks I couldn’t wait to model the girl….

Joey…. Thanks bro… I was stoked when I saw it too.

Ioocas …. Thanks for the support and your stars J

FiYoG…. Thanks for the support!

Silent_soul…. Thanks silent…. I was hoping to have a well rounded reel… thanks again

Neil…. Thanks for the crit…. It always good to have a critical eye…. I am updating my post to include a divx version for the slower connections. As for the hallway I will try to work on the lighting as soon as I have some time on my hands. Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

Name_less…. Got to love the women….. Thanks nameless

Cinmod… thanks dom….. Any time man I love to help… and that lizard king looks amazing!!! Keep up the hard work!

Chanchito…..Thanks for the support and with the hallway I wanted to do a simple model but concentrate on the lighting and texturing.. But I can still see they need more work… thanks for the comments.

Jamie…. Hahah now you got the rest of your class to compete with! Lol thanks for the support and it’s always a pleasure helping you out. Keep up the hard work it’s almost over!

Thanks to all the posted and for all the crits and comments…. I am very greatfull!

michaelmueller
08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Great! You deffinately know how to use the software. Now the only thing you need is original designs. If I was hiring and your reel showed up on my desk, the big question that I would ask is, "Can this guy come up with his own stuff?". Good luck.

jonbie
08-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Nice dude front page and everything, very nice done, one of the best in our class, dont worry youll see that with this reel youy gonna get a great job.
Congrats.
:applause:

birEn
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey john, nice work.... Really good texturing!!! The dog and the robot... damn good!... =D keep up the good work. Good Luck! (dont think u need much luck though :P)

B

pum
08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
heyyy John, congrats on the frontpage dude!Im sure u wont have trouble finding job!and yeah, i like the female char the best.

lipten
08-16-2005, 10:20 PM
The last concept artist work you used is not WATSON JOHNSON... It is Joseph Watson, he is a good friend of mine, and I hope you got permission to use his name and his work...

Igo
08-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey congrats on the front page man. Good to see students getting exposure. And thanks for putting up the Divix ver, nice to have the option.

beelow
08-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Congrats on the reel great job...Holla!:thumbsup:

losttogether
08-17-2005, 12:08 AM
cool, really good texture and modeling an concept, good job!, i like the y way you present your all works.

:thumbsup:

Anubis
08-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Hey man,

Honestly, so many people are looking to get jobs as modelers and they just don't show wires. Your wires are shaded and pretty dark, and are to tiny they they aren't very useful at all. Great texturing reel, but the detail you move up the body to show off the textures should be done with the wireframe shaded. Great work, the textures on the woman are great!

pearson
08-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Congratulations on finishing your reel! It takes a lot of hard work to get it all pulled together.:applause:

Now for a few crits:
The female has very nice textures, but the overall shape made me question your grasp of anatomy. Nothing too bad, just a few hints. But then at the end you included life drawings that are only mediocre, which reinforced my impressions about your female model. So drop the life drawings and it will help make you look better overall.

The hallway also doesn't fit well in a modeling/texturing reel. The model is simple and texturing flat walls is easy. Also the multilayered rendering passes take too long and don't show anything useful; if you're hired to model or texture, they won't care whether you can light or render. I would show the concept, then the shaded wireframe, then straight to the flythrough.

A minor quibble: I was amazed to see how much modeled detail there is in your dog when you turned off the texture; the texture really hides a lot of that detail.

I'm sure you are sick of looking at these pieces and just want to move on, but removing the drawings and shortening the hallway sequence will really strengthen your real, imo.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

pearson
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
The last concept artist work you used is not WATSON JOHNSON... It is Joseph Watson, he is a good friend of mine, and I hope you got permission to use his name and his work...

Nice catch; I thought that looked familiar. Joe's site (http://www.hyena-empire.com/enviro.html) (3rd icon down on the left side). Although I don't think Joe has the copyright to that image since it was made under contract for Midway.
:shrug:

krazeyhorse
08-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Awesome work!

inline243
08-17-2005, 01:54 AM
Very nice textures, I also like the spawn robot guy. Great work

MMassier
08-17-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I couldn't find this until it hit front page, good stuff man, congrats... now should I start posting some of your Foundation stuff to show how far you've come? Hehehe.

shakes825
08-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Nice, nice work John! It's been great sitting next to you this past term. Good luck on the job search, I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all... :thumbsup:

r1d3r
08-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks to all who posted, thank you very much!

Michaelmueller…. I wish I had my own designs to work from… on my own time I will defiantly be working from my own… thanks for the comments.

Jonsw1 …. Thanks for the support, can’t wait to start working!

BirEn… thanks a lot … can always use all the luck I can get! Lol

Pum…ya I was very happy when I saw it! Thanks again for all your help Herbert!

Lipten … I sent you an email thanking you for pointing that out. I can’t believe I made a mistake like that. I will be updating that ASAP! Thanks again.

MooningCow…. I hope that version is up soon! I’m trying to get it up there ASAP. Thanks for the comments.

Beelow…. Thanks a lot for the feed back

Losttogether…. Thanks for the comments… I love compositing too

Anubis…. Thanks for the crit… I will defiantly work on the wires as soon as I have time.

Pearson….. The dog hurt me too, after seeing what I lost adding in the color and spec map. And a critical eye you have…. I love life drawing and I’m going to continue my life long learning after school… thanks for your crits I am very grateful for your advice.

Krazeyhorse…. Thanks for the support!

Inline243…. Thanks ….I love spawn!!!

Matt…. You wouldn’t be so cruel….I hope…lol thanks for all the help these last 2 years!!!

Brandon…. It’s was also great getting to know you this past year… I’m glad we were neighbors this past term too…. Good luck on the scholarship and all future endevours.

Jinian
08-17-2005, 04:07 AM
Congrats on the front page. Overall, this is solid work but i really do feel that it could be taken to the next level. I could only suggest what i've suggested the 2 other modeling reels i have seen on the front page recently these couple of days and that really is more attention to material values and more advance shader work, rework spec maps and more complex photoshop texturing by introducing more detail and tones. All the models looks good, but i think it is the texturing that falls short that makes the models look too CG. The lighting could use stronger key lights and softer fill lights to increase depth to the character to avoid that "flat" look.

Good luck with your job hunt. Nice to see more and more VFS reels getting front page. :thumbsup:

Frwanque
08-17-2005, 04:56 AM
Real Nice work!!! You are good!!

it's hardwork, those Realistic details you do. This is things I realy Like to see and fore sure, they are fully animable(don't know the real English word) I Need to work my patience.

This is really motivating

lipten
08-17-2005, 05:53 AM
Nice catch; I thought that looked familiar. Joe's site (http://www.hyena-empire.com/enviro.html) (3rd icon down on the left side). Although I don't think Joe has the copyright to that image since it was made under contract for Midway.
:shrug:

copyright, schmopyright... I think as long as it is non-commerical use I belive it is acceptable to show... It's just as an artist, you hate to see someone's work being used and not credited... It like your work being referenced in a magazine, and they spell your name no way near to how it's spelled... Any who... I think overall the reel looks solid.. a little pickyness on my part if that the chain and jane girl looks a little chunky and stumpy...mostly in the thigh area... The texturing is nice though... That McFarlane model looks alot like a toy... not a big deal, but with such great texturing on the other stuff in the demo, it is a little so, so... I agree with another poster that the hall scene is a little long, seeing a wire, then texture, then the fly through would be more than adequate... seriously, I think you did a phenomenal job... I would have like to seen better lighting on the models to be describe the forms...

joe_watson
08-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Johnathan,
I really like what you did with my hallway concept painting. Great job!

Joe Watson
www.hyena-empire.com (http://www.hyena-empire.com)

olliemethod
08-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Nice reel man! Your hard work really payed off. Good luck on your job search.
So many free computers around these days, hehehe.

Keith_T
08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey man, This is my first post, you should feel special. Nice that you made it on the front page, we're all proud of you. You worked your ass off. And I hear that you got some job offers? Well I hope they're in Vancouver so you can hang out some more.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'RE DONE!

fabianloing
08-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Hei john!!

How are you? Must have felt really good now that you have finished you reel!
First of all, congratulation on your reel well done! The modeling is so awesome
and the texturing is very very cool! i love it!
I wish you nothing but the very best for your future!
Outstanding reel!!

-Fab

cgtalkiest
08-18-2005, 01:28 AM
could you pleeeease tell me what the music u used is? its soooo good... i wana listen to sum for inspiration THANX

vravro
08-18-2005, 01:34 AM
That is excellent. I like the dog the most. The lady has good part and bad parts.

What I'd prefer is to leave out the life drawing at the end. :hmm: I'm not saying that it's bad, but it doesn't match the quality of your models. this is more a compliment for your models than bashing your life drawing :p Let the character sketches show your drawing skills. They look great!

The room looked nice, but it lacked a realistic quality. I think it has to do with the shadows(there's also a lack of shadow detail in the rest of your models). It looked like those old playstation CGIs. :p Again, this doesn't mean that it was bad, just not as good as the models.

And the robot was perfect. Great job!

Teddy Luciano
08-18-2005, 02:03 AM
The modeling is pretty good, but the texturing seems like it could use more photoshop work. The lighting itself is pretty basic and i don't feel any depth to the characters. A lot of your zbrush details on the dog gets faded out because of the oversaturated texture and the lighting. I think those details would be more preserved if you setup your 3 point lighting better. I had problems having zbrush details show up to in my normal map, but realized it was all just in my light setup. Hope that advice helps.

I don't know what to say, but in my honest and humblest opinion, i think many of the modeling reels i've seen recently on frontpage including this one are only of mediocre work suprisingly.

narutochen
08-18-2005, 02:20 AM
nice work nice textureing!:thumbsup:

bale
08-18-2005, 04:53 AM
awesome spawn model, would make Mr Mcfarlane proud! I see your from Kitchener too...and i thought i was the only one. Good luck on findning a job.

cgtalkiest
08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
awesome spawn model, would make Mr Mcfarlane proud! I see your from Kitchener too...and i thought i was the only one. Good luck on findning a job.

am i missing something? i dont see a spawn model. any chance on finding out who did the music?

r1d3r
08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all who posted so far.

Jinian… I will try to work on the shader and textures when I get the time… Thank you for your comments and crits!

Mystik…. Thanks for the support, and they are all animatible.

Lipten… chucky monkey lol I know she looks like a hurt machine…. And I just wanted to show what went into lighting the hallway seen. Thanks for the comments!

Joseph Watson…. I am so glad you liked the hallway… I am so proud … thank you thank you thank you!!!

Paul… I really loved using all those computers… Thanks Paul and keep working hard… not to much time leaft!!!

Keith….. It’s been a blast working and getting to know you this past year. It went by so fast!!! And we will stay in touch no matter where we are. I’m going to miss KAREN. And you need to post your reel on here Keith!!! Thanks a lot dude!!!

Fabian… it’s been a while… thanks for the support.. And the help this year fab…. I’m glad we got to work together. And I hope we get to work together some day soon!

Cgtalkiest…. Sasha airdrawndagger CD… amazing album!

Vravro…. Were told to put in some life drawings just to show we can do something other then work on the computer… but crit well taken.. Thank you for that.

Teddy….. I hate losing the details after adding the colour map.. I will try out what you’re saying. Thanks

Narutochen….. Thanks for the support.

Killrave… a fellow Kitchener boy!!! Thanks for the support killrave.

Thanks again for all the crits and comments.. keep then coming!!!

Stillwell
08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Congratulations for your reel :)

I liked how you did your environement shot breakdown.

Happy job hunting :)

cgtalkiest
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM
thank yoooooooou!!:bounce:

lipten
08-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Are you graduating from a graduate program? Certificate program? Masters Program? Just curious... Is this work over the time you been at school? Is this class related work? Your own personal work done outside of class???

Thanks for your time...

Lipten

Sherif.Nagib
08-18-2005, 11:38 PM
amazing work man, very nice choice of concepts :thumbsup:

Heber
08-19-2005, 03:23 AM
i think many of the modeling reels i've seen recently on frontpage including this one are only of mediocre work suprisingly.

wouldnt mind seeing your work right about now :rolleyes:

Keith_T
08-19-2005, 04:45 AM
I'll post my reel when I get sound on it. Wich should be soon.
Today was a sad day. Said goodbye to everyone. I'm depressed

shiaopoo
08-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Good Work John!

Very impressive work!!I've seen your stuff for a while but it turned out
to be pretty cool.I really love it.

I heard that you already had some good news about job searching,that's good
to you,Good Luck!!!

Dony

r1d3r
08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks to all who posted.

Stillwell…. Thanks for the support and your appreciation of the lighting break down.

Lipten…. I sent you a private message regarding the information you asked.

Sherif.Nagib…. thanks for the comments and support.

Keith…. I can’t wait to see it up here, and we will meet again! Take it easy brother!

Donny… thanks a lot. You should put your animation reel on here too. I hope you do because I can’t wait to see it! Good luck to you in all your future endeavors!

Thanks again to all that posted!!!

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.