PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Demo Reel

kobeone
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey everyone,

This is my first try at making a demo reel and I would love some feedback for the next go around.

Demo Reel (http://jacobipickett.com/demoreel/jacobipickett_demoreel.wmv) <---------- WMV 9MB

Demo Reel (http://jacobipickett.com/demoreel/jacobipickett_demoreel.mov) <---------- MOV 9MB

kobeone
08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
WOW, not even one comment. It can't be that bad.

mjkennedy
08-24-2005, 05:10 PM
No offense, but there's not much to comment on. I mean your models are nice and stylistic, but they're uber simplistic. The point of a Modeling reel is to show your an amazing modeler, and to do that, you really need to show complex, super detailed stuff. As well, even if you added some textures it would help make your models look more impressive.

As it stands, your models would probably look great in a ANIMATION reel, where you'll most often find farely simplistic models, given that the focus is on the animation rather then the modeling. But if you want to be a modeler, I would in my opinion start on some more complex stuff (if you dont already have any), and display that instead.

Hope this helps, (and wasn't too harsh),

Matt

shakii
08-24-2005, 05:38 PM
The compositing in the still was nice... you showed more of that skill than modeling`s.. that tells you how much more focus you should put on your models if you want to showcase your modeling skills.

Tasimasu
08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
ı m not modeler but they looks fine. ı think main topic is show your power. so if you want to impress people you need to add more models... but your way clear just keep working.

absent1001
08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
I thought your reel was decent but you need more models. In my opinion you should have at least 4. You have a very cartoony style which is nice but you should also show that you can model realistic characters. Also you may want to add some diversity in it. Show that you can model a quadruped or a car or some sort of animal or creature. You also want to show that your characters can deform. Even if you just did some blend shapes for one of the faces and showed a few different expression it would be nice. But overall it wasnít that bad of a reel.

JaredPemberton
08-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I like the models...but if you are going to have a cartoony style like that is would show off the rigs, faceshapes, and even do some animations. I also agree with the above comment on trying other styles out, I'm in the same boat (need different styles). Great Work though man! Keep it up!

-Jared

kobeone
08-25-2005, 01:35 AM
0ken0 - None taking, i'm still doing a lot of learning and just wanted to see where i stand. Your right in the idea that i need to step up my game. The new stuff that i am working on is a lot more complex. Thanks for the comments

shakii - Yeah, my skills in 3D is really all over the place; modeling, rigging, animating . I'm now currently focusing on one thing. Glad you like the compositing.

Tasimasu - Thanks, i'm currently devoting a large amount of my time to modeling, so next time around i will have more detailed models to show.

absent1001 - agreed, i need some diversity in my life. Two out of the next three models that i have planned will be realistic character models. I hope to model a tiger or lion soon, i dont really know when. I will surely have it in my next reel. Next time i will include some animation to showcase the characters deforming. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Mr. Eye - Thanks for the support, diversity is key. Got it.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, keep them coming. In the mean time, i will work on.

Rawk
08-26-2005, 07:28 PM
when you model your lion, you should name it Fayesho :)......thank yoooouuuuuu.

clodhopper
08-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Most boring camera work ever. Yer characters not only lack detail but they are incredibly generic. flat shaders arn't helping you any. Your reel needs more "art", Its very bland right now.
If this is too mean, flame me. Its my honest opinion. Add some flavor to this reel.

kobeone
08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
leolady5 - Sup Buddy, I dont know about the naming thing. It needs a little more work :)

clodhopper - Thanks for the comments but there are a few things I would like to address. 1) In response to the camera being "too boring", I really don't agree with that because most reels that I have seen are similar in camera work. Thanks for the suggestion but I think I will keep a similar style for my next reel. 2) I agree that flat shaders are not helping my models in any way or form. At the time I didnít effective know how to texture and really didnít wont to do a poor job of it, so I left it out. That now will be corrected in future work. 3) Currently I am working on some new stuff that will hopefully add more "art" as you call it. 4) clodhopper, I have no reason to "flame you". You gave your honest opinion and thatís what I asked for when I posted on this forum. I wanted a list of things to improve on for next year reel and I got it. So thank you for being honest.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.