PDA

View Full Version : Teaching 3D modelling skills to students

malCanDo
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi all,

I've recently been involved with the development of a toolkit, that assists with teaching 3D modelling, and I'd be keen to get some feedback on it from some of you.

The development on the application was started after feedback from a number of lecturers teaching 3D modelling.

Their main issue was that the current method of teaching modelling ( model some sort of object, and then render stills and animations ) was quite time consuming. This meant that the students spent more time waiting on renders to complete than they were on learning modelling techniques. This was especially true, if they had to render a few minutes of animation as part of a practical project ( many students have spent nights waiting by a computer for the render to complete ).

This seemed to result in many of the students losing an interest in learning more complex 3D techniques as part of a future module.

Our solution was to allow the students to learn the same basic skills ( modelling and texturing, as well as basic lighting ), and view their work in a matter of seconds, rather than minutes or hours.

It uses an exporter that is built into many 3D applications ( Shockwave 3D ), so no additional tools need to be installed to use our toolkit.

The toolkit allows the student to drive around their level interactively, using a vehicle mechanic. This was chosen as the easiest way of navigating the level ( requires just four keys ). Future versions will allow for sphere ( golf, pool, football, Marble Madness, Super Monkey Ball ) and character navigation.

I would be very interested in hearing feedback from any of you with an interest in education and 3D modelling, especially trainers and lectureres.

You can read more about the application here, as well as downloading the free evaluation to try it out yourself...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267762

Many thanks...
Mal

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.