PDA

View Full Version : Motionbuilder and Lightwave

joshstanley
08-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Is anyone using motionbuilder with lightwave? I am interested in using motioncapture files to animate, but I have heards the transition from MB to LW was not the smoothest? Anyone have any experience? Any tutorials out there that deal with using the two together?

Josh

telamon
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I have not tried with LW 8.3. As long as you use the most recent fbx plugin to be found (I presume) on Alias site, it works. I used to use MB 5 + LW 8 very seamlessly. A few problems but not those problems which prevent you from working.

Eugeny
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
The first and impotent think is naming of bones ...
U mast name all bone sin MB fashion. Try to search this forum (or MB forum ) for 3dDave skeleton to get complete skeleton structure for MB.U also can find some tutorial of using LW with MB - just do the search :)
Also i found that u can use REcord Pivot Rotation for all bones instead of Root bone (Hips in MB).
Good luck.

telamon
08-15-2005, 04:38 PM
MB's Naming convention is not a must-do. Nevertheless it simplifies the characterisation process.

Personnally I do not use the automated characterisation in MB, I put my bones manually.

uncommongrafx
08-15-2005, 06:07 PM
5.5 and 8.3 here; works a treat! A painless process when done right.

Rod Seffen
08-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Now that Alias have aquired it, you'll find that it'll support more and more features specific to Maya, and other apps will be left behind. It'll probably end up becomg a charcater animatioin extention of maya which 'can be used with other major apps as well'

colkai
08-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Now that Alias have aquired it, you'll find that it'll support more and more features specific to Maya, and other apps will be left behind. It'll probably end up becomg a charcater animatioin extention of maya which 'can be used with other major apps as well'
Must admit, that's my (maybe incorrect) gut feeling.
However, I am part of a collab project and we use MB5.5 with LW quite successfully, no doubt there are problems with the FBX format, sometimes it pullsin a rig, other times it doesn't, sometimes the rig skeletons are correctly aligned, others, not.

Overall though, if we just try to keep all our work in LW and just use MB for animation / mocap we can get it working just fine. We are also looking into doing cel-shading renders directly within MB, which will allow us to use resources from other apps as we have a wide app base, (LW, Maya, 3DSMax, C4D).

If you really want to use MB with LW, you need 3DDaves rig, you can build your own, but Dave put a lot of work into it and has graciously made it available, it is our "rig of choice" unless we have custom rigs. We primarily use a 'single toe' version as all our characters are wearing shoes so bones per toe is a bit of overkill.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=65961&goto=lastpost

In terms of Mocap, if your using FBX motion files, to be honest, providing you obey a couple of rules, the LW <==> MB path is pretty smooth.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 08:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.