PDA

View Full Version : How many pixels to Large scale?

gedee
08-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Dear Painters,

I am working on a painting that should be printed/plotted on a Epson stylus pro 7600 at 24" by 32 inch (or for people like me at A2 60x80 cm).
What dimensions should my painting have to get decent results?
I tried 24" at 300 dpi, but i get a pretty huge file. I have 2Gig ram and it is not sufficient if i work at that size.
If somebody here has any experience with large format printing, I would appreciate it to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Geert

Lunatique
08-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Try using smaller resolution (50~75%) and then upsample with something like Genuine Fractals.

pixlart
08-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Gedee:

You don't need to be setting up your resolution as high as 300dpi. Epson printers utilize an extended color gamut that enables printing at lower DPI. I would say that 240dpi is as high as you need to work to get acceptable results. You may even be able to go lower without problems. And, as Robert mentioned, working at a smaller scale and then up-sizing keeps the initial memory requirements down.

If you have access to the 7600, you may want to perform some tests to find the "sweet spot" in terms of DPI and starting rez before potentially creating either too large or small of an image.

I hope this helps!

Wintermute
08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
if it's your printer, you might want to try some test prints. I print to an HP 5500ps uv at work and use 100 dpi res for things like posters (22" x 28") and up with good results. Anything I send off to be printed on an offset press is 300 dpi of course. I'm not familiar with the Epson, but at that size, I doubt you're going to be looking at it from a very close range. (the farther away you are, the lower res you can get away with)

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.