PDA

View Full Version : Pencil sketches vs. finished work.

paperclip
08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Is it just me or do you actually prefer sketches to finished stuff? When I see sketches, they seem so much more vital than fully rendered work. Unless, of course, it's by a fantastic artist.

beSigned
08-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I prefer sketches too because I see the pure ideas in them. It always seemed much better to me to see the first sketches, the first ideas and inspirations.

Rebeccak
08-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I definitely tend to prefer drawings to paintings when they are compared. When I see a painting in a museum or book, I am awed at its power, but then when I see the preparatory drawing, I am just that much more fascinated. The raw energy of a drawing often gets lost in the painting process. It's hard to find good books of artists' drawings, however. Typical big booksellers typically have none. Usually I'll have to frequent smaller, more expensive specialty shops in order to find good books of artists' drawings. A few years ago, I bought a book of Pontormo's drawings. I didn't notice until I got home that the text was in German! Guess I wasn't looking at the text. :)

~Rebeccak

Dr. Ira Kane
08-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Is it just me or do you actually prefer sketches to finished stuff? When I see sketches, they seem so much more vital than fully rendered work. Unless, of course, it's by a fantastic artist.
That's true, sketches (if well made) have much more life than finished works which are often overdone.

DirtEater
08-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Yes, I'd rather see a good sketch than a rendered, "finished" image. For me, this carries over into painting, in that I'd rather see a mess of brush strokes than photorealism.

Yet I'm heavily into 3d modeling and animation. :rolleyes: It's still possible to be rough with 3d.

paperclip
08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
It's still possible to be rough with 3d.

I'd like to see an example of a 'rough sketch' in 3d.

Dr. Ira Kane
08-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Only some people can really make a nice 3D image that is free from that sterile 3D look which kills the mood. That's why for example sketch of a naked woman is 100 times more sexy and vital than a 3D rendered one (even if done by a good artist). They say that an artist dips the brush in his soul when painting and I have to say that it sounds like true to me...

mrtristan
08-16-2005, 06:17 AM
You know, a lot paintings just lose edge quality that most drawings seem to have. It's a fairly simple concept, really, but I find that's a pretty common differentiator between "paintings i like" and "paintings that are blah to me". Some times the brushes just need to be cocked and loaded and leave a few hard lines. Too often painters just blend the energy right out of the piece.

I have to fight the blending instinct all the time. Too often it's a losing battle :)

Gord-MacDonald
08-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I love drawings - often more than finished paintings, although standing in front of a major painting by a major master is a remarkable, unforgettable and unique experience.

Gord

Dr. Ira Kane
08-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I love drawings - often more than finished paintings, although standing in front of a major painting by a major master is a remarkable, unforgettable and unique experience.

Gord
Taking one to your home when no one is watching is even more exciting experience :D Ok that was a joke :thumbsup:

Zephyri
08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I've always loved looking at pencil sketches or studies rather than finished formal paintings. There is something very energetic about pencils sketches that, as has been said before, contains more of the passion of the artist, when they're not thinking about rendering textures or light accurately. And often a pencil sketch has much more power of suggestion in it, so you see more of what you want to see, rather than what the artist wants to see. I'd be curious to know what non-artistic people would say to this question, whether they prefer paintings or sketches. Whether, because of being artistic, we look for different things in paintings and sketches than non-artistic people do - alot of the reason I love sketches is I think it often reveals more about the artist's thought and work processes, which I constantly relate to my own work. Not to say I don't love looking at finished paintings though, but for a different reason.

Gord-MacDonald
08-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Taking one to your home when no one is watching is even more exciting experience :D Ok that was a joke :thumbsup:

Thank goodness it just a joke, for a minute I thought you were on to me!!! :eek: :D

Gord

Baker17
08-17-2005, 01:36 AM
this is interesting, kinda touching on my topic thread..."back to the essence of creativity".
this is even true for the old masters. im a hige fan of da vinci, and if you ask my opion, his sketches, and technical drawings are far more interesting, this goes for all the old masters. there is something transparent about their thought process when you look at how they sketch, and what they were trying to achieve.

navate
08-17-2005, 02:54 AM
I have run into this problem recently with my own work..the more I speedpaint and pencil sketch, the more I hate how lifeless my full paintings are. I'm really trying to figure out a way to keep the energy of sketches into fully rendered works without making things seem unfinished...it is indeed a battle to find that blanacing point between underdeveloped and overrendered. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated with this.

jmBoekestein
08-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Fully shaded and lit well... please!

It's just that much more complicated to achieve the proper rendering... since there are obviously way more things to get right. But I really love the fully rendered ones way more.

Ignorance of the finer points of good shading and so on(don't take it the wrong way, we all have to learn) probably let down a lot of paintings. But I'll have fully rendered ones over any sketch any day. Ofcourse provided it was done with skill and insight.

My personal opinion ofcourse, :wise: but I'll defend it fiercely.

rawgon
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, i feel the same about loosing energy of sketches in full rendered paintings. the thing is that i sketch way to more than i paint "finished" pics, probably iŽll have to paint every good sketch or ideia, since painting is very different from drawing.

Serkeien
08-17-2005, 11:16 PM
I do like sketches but I also enjoy finished paintings too. Although sometimes I do prefer a very well done subject, with an extremely simple or half-done background. Then you get some of both. :D

Lync
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
I love both the sketches and the finished paintings, as long as they contain a certain energy. It is easier to achieve the energy in the sketches because all you are working with is the lines and maybe a bit of shading. With colour however, you can gain the energy through not only the composition and lines, but also through the colour itself and the brush strokes etc. Harder to achieve, but potentially more dynamic than sketches (but, yes, only good artists have the skills to get that.

There is something special about gazing at a great painting and wowing over the colours.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.