View Full Version : CG Britney Spears

Equinoxx
11-01-2002, 02:07 PM
http://www.boydlake.com/britney/menu.htm
be sure to check out the animation

kinda cool, eventho i'm no britney fan

Taoizm
11-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Small world. I graduated art school with the guy who did the IK rig. (Chris B. is the man!) :applause:

xynaria
11-02-2002, 04:29 AM
aaargh .. this is one of the biggest pieces of garrbage I've ever seen.. ugh .. sick bucket warning. :)

wgreenlee1
11-03-2002, 07:17 AM
Once we had the data ready to go, I applied the data to a dummy rig

Hehehehe...how ironic!:cool:

BoydLake
11-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Ok, xynaria... Let's hear it. What about CG Britney is garbage to you? Please offer some critique. Do you just dislike Britney in general (and you certainly wouldn't be alone), or is there something particularly off-putting about the work we did on the CG project?

I really would like to hear your opinion if you'd care to offer specifics, rather than calling the whole thing garbage. That's a bit like kicking someone in the nuts and running off.

I'm a big boy and don't mind critique ;) Let's have it.

aurora
11-04-2002, 04:24 PM
I'll give you 2 comments. First the negative - the dance floor has just a little to much reflection in it. It looks great in the clip but in real life if the floor was that polished then theyed need ice skates. Personally I would not change it unless you are pushing for pure realism.
The second a complement - your model dances better then Brittney.

xynaria
11-04-2002, 04:49 PM
oops :)
Sorry Boyd.....disclaimer.. this is not personal btw

I was originally pointed in the direction of this a while ago and in context of another piece which I really admired, (the Bert film) so my chargrin was kind of coloured.
I've now tried to stand back and see it soley in 'context' but this piece of work does happen to contain most of the things I happen to find unappealing about cg..... admittedly I should perhaps have said that rather than just calling it garbage.

Contextually it seems to try to straddle somewhere between some kind of realism and stylisation and works on neither level for me. I'm not a great fan of Britney but I do find some of her antics amusing and there's no small amount of perversity going on with her whole image etc that is interesting fodder to play on.. but instead we get the barbie doll angle being played out.
Unfortuntely I'm having great trouble accessing parts of your site today and my memory isn't good enough to accurately remember what the workings of this were, so I am assuming that the marketing people had a lot of input in this and that that might be why the doll angle is to the fore.
On a technical level she looks more like shes sliding than walking and I've never been a great fan of the *cough* 'expressive hand gesture' school of animation as used to illustrate "my word tour is starting soon". The lip sync also seems plagued with a stuggle for workability. In all it seems to be aiming far higher on a technical level than it can convincingly pull off which only emphasisies it's bad points.
Sorry if that sounds harsh, especially given that so much work has gone into it, this particular piece just happened to annoy me more than most things I dislike, but after all.. it's only my opinion, and not worth an awful lot in reality. :)

BoydLake
11-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Xynaria,

Thanks for expanding on your original comment. I certainly agree with what you say and all of what you said has merit and is helpful in evaluating a project that was a challenge.

It's true there are many things about the project that were not as successful as I would have liked. The Barbie appearence is a combination of several factors... not the least of which was an effort to idealize Britney as much as seems to happen in reality at times.

I also approached this character job not as an attempt at being hyper-real. Personally, I've never been all that excited about making photoreal things in CG, but I do like exploring and finding a place left or right of reality and working my CG characters there. Practically we didn't have the time/resources to go hyper real anyway, and while we had some pretty good real life reference...none of it was frankly very flattering to Britney. So, I avoided taking many things literal. As it was, there were a few things that were not idealized enough and were changed by request.

The hair rendering also lends to the doll-ish appearence. Shag:Hair's shaders have always been that way, but obviously that bothers some more than others, and at the time it didn't bother me. Had I to do it again there would be several things I'd change, but it's over and done with and I'm grateful to have completed this one and moved on.

As far as facial animation goes, I am not quite sure what you mean by workablility, but the only struggle I remember having is that when she talks, she looks less like Britney, and more like well, someone else. I'm confident it could have been fixed, but not with the time or budget we had. I would also point out that this project taught me quite a bit as far as how high the bar really is for maintaining familiarity in the appearence of any recognizable character as it moprhs through expressions. Human expression is perceived at a genetic level , and when even one target, or key pose is off from the archetype expressions, then the perfomance falls short. This is perhaps the largest shortfall of the FF TSW characters which of course had a lot more investment behind their production.

Thanks again for the critique. It's always appreciated.

Later,

SheepFactory
11-04-2002, 07:09 PM
Hey Boyd ,

man i cant view your webpage since last week :sad:

is it just me or is the link to britney down ?

Ali

BoydLake
11-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
Hey Boyd ,

man i cant view your webpage since last week :sad:

is it just me or is the link to britney down ?

Ali

Just a ton of traffic. I'm sure it will settle down sometime soon. I haven't been able to get into the site either for several days now.

goosh
11-04-2002, 07:17 PM
I actually really liked the style

I'm not too fond of photorealism, but when you combine photorealism with a style (just like this) I think it works very well.

I did not enjoy the animation though. Sorry. I think it can be improved quite a bit. Overall acting, followthroughs, secondary, etc. But I don't know.. since probably there wasn't any time or who knows...

Just my 2c

Goosh

rayz
11-04-2002, 07:42 PM
i cant view the web page too.......hmmmm, maybe ill try more. :wip:

xynaria
11-04-2002, 07:57 PM
Yeah, time and budgets can really frustrate the hell out of anyone and the people in charge of the budgets rarely have any understanding of the amount of work involved. I've actually yet to see any convincing 'photorealism' animation, though as your avatar, and quite a few of the works galleried here show, for stills they can be pretty successful. :)

HapZungLam
11-04-2002, 09:23 PM
i wanta see, the page is down.!!!! :annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.