PDA

View Full Version : Small problem and larger question

mykhel
08-15-2005, 12:44 AM
When using Resource Collecter the zip option is grayed out, I do have Maxzip residing in the max root and have it selected in mu preferences. I am kinda perplexed about why this is not working.. Also, if I were to install winzip as an option for zipping in RC, where do I have to have the winzip exe reside?

Second item, is there any tutorials around that discuss alpha channels and how to use them to drive opacity for a bitmap, a TIFF with an alpha channel, for example?.

Thanks to all.

DustinB
08-15-2005, 02:39 AM
For you second question, a simple option that I normally use is just saving the alpha channel as an image instead of an actual alpha. Then use that image as your opacity map.

Sicolet_newbie
08-15-2005, 07:55 PM
as to the first question:
I have win rar installed on my machine and since that is now the default compressing program. I think Max does not recognize you have win zip. Just compile to one folder and zip that folder.

Hope it helps

mykhel
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks all. As for my first question, I found a way to have Max use the alpha channel. What I had to do was create a seperate alpha channel in photoshop (alpha 1) and save it as a tiff with the alpha channel option in the save dialog. I had always thought that the rgb channel or one of the color channels would act as an alpha. Not so. With the alpha 1 channel I now can use the one image to drive both the diffuse and opacity channels. For those of you who are curious, assign the map to both channel and use the "use image alpha" in the materials rollout. It will now behave as if you have 2 images, one as the opacity and one as the diffuse. The alpha 1 channel you create in ps will drive the opacity, and the rest of the channels drive the diffuse. Just thought I'd mention this for those of you who have been
struggling with this as I was.

As for my zip problem, I thought that Maxzip took care of all the compression. I am gong to try to install winzip and see if the option in RC is no longer grayed out.

Thanks again to everyone. Appreciate it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 01:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.