PDA

View Full Version : Evil Blendshape strikes again

McKertis
08-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I have skinned a character, and just wanted to add a little blendshape to a thumb, so when it rotates - it would inflate a little. Instead i get THAT. It unrolls and strangles all fingers for unknown reason...

I searched some on the subject in here, and found answers which either wont work for my case or i dont understand them totally. :)
Please help !

shrtcww
08-15-2005, 12:23 AM
you might want to check the order of deformations and place the blendshape before the skinDeformer

McKertis
08-15-2005, 07:48 AM
This is one of those answers i dont understand...

shrtcww
08-15-2005, 07:57 AM
my attempt to elaborate:

select the mesh
right click > inputs > all inputs

drag the blendshape below the skinCluster

hopefully that clarifies

McKertis
08-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Okay, thanks for comprehensive answer, but - it already was below skincluster...

shrtcww
08-15-2005, 09:15 AM
then I'm sorry to inform you I'm out of ideas.. perhaps if you post the file someone will be kind and troubleshoot it for you though.

king21
08-15-2005, 06:05 PM
hEY !

It looks like u've been playing with the geometry, this happens manitimes if u change polyObject after u have duplicate it for blend.

twedzel
08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Point order problem. Your target shape is not matching your base shapes point orders. It occurs because of what king21 says.

McKertis
08-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Umm...let me see...
I have no idea whatsoever what point order is...yet ? :) Will you, please, enlight me ?

As for changes, well, thats what i did, basically :
1) smooth skinned the hand
2) set driven keys for the fist, fingers curling in a fist, i mean.
3) set weights for hand in CE.
4) then i notice that curled thumb is really flat looking, so i want it to bulge a little when curled, so i copy the hand and unlock copy channels and edit copy's thumb just a little, then just selected both in order described and applied default blendshape. I did not then touch any curling controls, i immediately check the blendshape editor and test the blend - voila, it uncurls all fingers and drags them...

Is it because of driven keys that it fails to blend ?
Maybe i should drop the idea and just try using an influence object ? Better learn about it anyway, i guess.

john_homer
08-15-2005, 08:58 PM
I dont think its a vertex ordering problem, because the verts look like they are moving to completly new location (if it was the order, verts would go to the wrong locations, not new ones).

however this could be a really strange blendshape coupled with an ordering problem....

the only way to troubleShoot a scene like this is to look at the scene.. after all you could have done (and looks like you did) just about anythig...

post it.

EDIT:
ok, just read you workflow :blush:
dissable the skincluster BEFORE duplicating the mesh (set its envelope to 0)

.j

McKertis
08-15-2005, 09:39 PM
john_homer:
Your words make perfect sense.
Well, i tried it and it works like it should, but there are a couple complications, tho. If i set envelope of skin cluster to 0 - the hand mesh wont be affected by anything, no skin, no bones, right ? Just a mesh. But i want to actually blendshape curled thumb, and my curl is driven off bones. So if i set envelope to 0 - fingers get straight. Should i duplicate a mesh with bones, and fully skin a hand duplicate, just so i can get this little blendshape right ? That is the question... Is there a way to freeze a mesh and then set envelope to 0 ?

And another one, in what book can i read about nuances like this one ? Or a video course maybe ? As i dont have any real access to schools.

Scene is a little too big to post it here, about 1mb zipped, and i dont have a slightest idea how to set up a homepage, so...

john_homer
08-16-2005, 12:35 AM
..But i want to actually blendshape curled thumb, and my curl is driven off bones. So if i set envelope to 0 - fingers get straight. Should i duplicate a mesh with bones, and fully skin a hand duplicate, ....

there is a workflow to do this, but I'm not going to go right into it...
search the archives, its been covered a few times...
or just use michael comets pose deformer http://www.comet-cartoons.com/

.j

McKertis
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, i'm kinda honored to receive your punch line. :)

Did you have BSpirit corrective shape script in mind ? I guess not, as you said you never seen it...
Or maybe this way you call "dupFix" ?

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.