PDA

View Full Version : Clockwork Alex

remcv8
08-14-2005, 08:57 PM
I got an itch this morning and decided to take a break from my Fool pic. I'm a big fan of Clockwork Orange and the character of Alex.

Let me know what you think.

remcv8

remcv8
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Here's a shot with a little shadows and highlights. Right now though I am at a point where I look at this and think, "It looks too airbrushed".

How can I make this look more realistic, or less airbrushed.

Anything would help.

remcv8

remcv8
08-15-2005, 02:14 AM
Used texture brush for skin highs and shadows on this one.

remcv8
08-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Ok, here's more.

Critiques??? Need insight.

nealb4me
08-15-2005, 04:26 AM
Hi,

I'm still learning about painting myself but there's a few things I notice about your image.

-The eyes are an unrealistic blue. Too saturated and too bright.
-Same problem with the mouth so far, too red.
-The skin tone needs more colour variation which is why you are getting the "airbrushed" look, as well as the painting technique.

Stop trying to be precious about keeping your silhouette it's restricting you too much. I can see you have painted a little bit near the hair, a bit near the collar etc.

I suggest working in layers but not necessarily layers in photoshop. Do the face then the hair, then the collar and then the hat.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cheers,

-Neal

remcv8
08-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks nealb4me,

I appreciate the advice. I think that I need to work on one aspect at a time like you mentioned. Eventhough I create each portion in seperate layers, I still tend to jump around, out of focus. Maybe I'm too eager. There's no deadline, so what's the rush? Right?

Aside from the the airbrush look and the eyes being too bright, I also noticed that Alex has a tan, like George Hamilton. Hee hee. I should've kept in mind that this character is a night person and is very pale. I also kinda lost the expression a bit. He's not quite as sinister looking as his character.

I would really like to learn some new brush techniques if you know of any, or of any threads off hand.

Oh yeah , here's the reference image:

Euphrosyne
08-15-2005, 08:16 AM
remcv8

If you are interested in making more realistic skin textures and skin colors, you might google "Nagel Texture Brushes" series #27 is the best for skin textures. Then what I do in photoshop is open the bush of my choice out of the set and set the opacity of the brush at about 20% and the flow at 20% and add shading with different darker colors purple and red brown usually and do the same with high lights with lighter colors you can add transparent layers of texture in green and yellow to give the skin some variation in hue and make it more lively just do this very lightly say about 10%. I learned some of this from reading tutorials here and some of this by experimenting. I've only been painting on the computor for 5 months so I'm sure there are easier and better ways of doing this, but it works pretty good.
I hope that this helps.

I like your painting!
Euphrosyne

remcv8
08-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Thanks Euphrosyne,

I found the brushes that you mentioned and will start working with that concept. I absorb your advice with great appreciation.

I haven't had as much time involved in painting, but am inspired when I see others work.

I do need discipline in my art though. I tend to rush things a bit when an idea comes to mind.

Anywho, til next we speak,

remcv8

Euphrosyne
08-16-2005, 07:09 AM
remcv8

You are most welcome, glad to help. That is what is so wonderful about this website, there are so many people willing to share their knowledge.

Thank you for helping me with my painting too! It always helps to have a fresh pair of eyes looking at your work and finding the things you missed.

Euphrosyne

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 07:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.