PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find the user key map?

coffeefery
08-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi, I just started dabbling with XSI and I have created a user key map. However, when I tried to save a backup copy of it, I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where it's stored it? Thanks.

softmonkey
08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Its easiest to create an addon... its automatic and easier to install.

File>Addon>Package

Then choose your keymap (plus other bits like toolbars you want to save) and save the file.
Next time you have to install the keymap, you can can just drag and drop the file in a viewport.

To answer ur question directly (on windows)...
C:\users\$(username)\Softimage\XSI_4.2\Application\keymaps

coffeefery
08-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks, Softmonkey :)

By the way, regarding addons, I downloaded RCTools v3.0 after reading "Cool things in XSI that no one knows!". I went into File > Add-On > Install and installed the it. After installing, I didn't know where to go to get the add-ons. Is there any tutorials that teaches on this topic?

softmonkey
08-14-2005, 11:53 PM
I can't remember the exact install details for RC Tools - I use the built in tools.

I seem to remember that there is a command you need to map (look under the custom script command filter in the keyboard mapper). I think u want RCpop. I would recommend using Ctrl+R or Shift+R as the shortcut.

JDex
08-14-2005, 11:56 PM
RCTools is accessed by a toolbar... go to View>Toolbars and find the RCTools toolbar.

You can make hotkeys as softmonkey said by finding the Custom Commands/Scripts section in the Keymapper interface.

If you have problems finding addon shaders, see the FAQ on the subject at XSIbase.

PS: The locations of the instructions above (like View>Toolbars) is from memory, so I may be a bit off, but they should help you in the right direction.

coffeefery
08-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I will try to check out xsibase.com to learn more about it :)

As for the RC tools, I'm actually looking for the shrink selection tool (which isn't in the native toolset of XSI). I come from a LW background and I use grow/shrink selection very often. Also, does anyone know if XSI has a centering object tool or rest on ground tool (it allows the object's volume instead of the pivot point to sit on the 0 value of either x, y or z-axis) found in LW?

CiaranM
08-15-2005, 04:21 AM
Look through the custom scripts section of the keymapper, if you have RC Tools installed you should find the shrink selection command in there, then assign whaterver keys you like (e.g. shift -).
The plugin you need for centering the selection can be found here:
http://www.nikosgatos.com/software/xsiscripts/ncenterselection/

coffeefery
08-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi, thanks for all the help. I could now map the keys to the one similar to my LW setup and it feels like LW modeler on steoids :D

By the way, I notice that there are both add-ons and plugins in XSI. Do they work similarly or very different, and if so, what's the difference?

JDex
08-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Plugins... basically the old implementation.
Addons... basically Plugins with less fuss.

coffeefery
08-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Oh, okay :)

By the way, how can I add a backdrop image to my viewports?

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 07:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.