PDA

View Full Version : My first (ever) walkcycle

markovicd
08-14-2005, 02:46 PM
ok ... i said 2 weeks ago that i am switching totaly to animation , character animation ;) , and so i did... statred doing balls , jumping spinning ... :)
and i after 2 weeks of working with balls i thought that i was able to do walkcycle... so i did it... with pose to pose...
hope u like it c&c welcome ;)

yeah my first walkcycle! :D

MrBallWalking (http://jonel.hostingmania.biz/files/trash/mrballwalking.avi)

xX_eXiGe_Xx
08-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't have the right codec to few the .avi :(.. any ideas how where i can get new codecs??

Pooyag
08-14-2005, 03:22 PM
just a galance thought....Feets are sliping and there's a .... hmmm.. how can i say that....it's just not smooth,you know.

markovicd
08-14-2005, 11:34 PM
hm... can u tell me more accuratly... what did u mean ? :)

SkyePhelps
08-15-2005, 12:05 AM
The reason it's not smooth is because you currently have him (the ball part) pausing when his back foot is lifting off the ground. You'll want to keep the ball part constantly moving forward. I also noticed that you are locking the knee joints, you never want them to be completely locked in walk because it causes a popping look when going from locked to bent... hope this helps :)

stewartjones
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Not a bad attempt.

Think of the ball part as a bouncing ball. That forward translation needs to be nice and smooth (as Skye stated). Once you have that down, have a look at those feet sliding. Flatten your curves on the feet for that, so they stay in the same place throughout the step. Once that's done then go in, and start cleaning the rest of him up.

The popping knee thing is not a big deal at the moment, thats something that you can easily fix at the end by giving him a more of an up and down motion.

Hope that helps some.

markovicd
08-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Skye Phelps
well i have to puase him when hi is in high postion ? don`t i ? if i leave him just moving... it sux

vyntax

i just saw ur post... well i will try to fix what u swaid ( i have already falatten some ccurves ) hope it is batter

update2
mrballwalkin2 (http://rapidshare.de/files/4013242/dar.avi.html)

studiomaxer3d
08-16-2005, 01:36 AM
it looks like the knee is snapping back too fast.. it looks like its popping.

pollywoggles
08-16-2005, 03:41 AM
Cool so far. It's a little floaty, lacking in weight. Besides what's previously been mentioned, I think that around frame 5 (probably earlier), the front foot should already be firmly planted on the ground and the hips falling more -- I'd like to see those legs really taking the weight of that ball object. But most importatly, it seems like you need to focus more on the hips. It appears that there is a lot of moving in the legs (which is fine) -- but not on the hips -- which are the most important part in a walk -- the feet are just a side-effect of the hip movement, getting tossed forward in front of the body, so the body doesn't fall on its face.

markovicd
08-16-2005, 12:41 PM
update... taking care of hips... they have now rotation left right ... i forgot about that!:sad:
taking care of legs ... now!

mrballwalking3 (http://rapidshare.de/files/4033649/ball2.avi.html)

pollywoggles
08-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Great to see things working.

For the walk cycle, could you post an orthographic side view? For me it's easier to see things.

It looks like the forward translation of the hips (the z-translation of the character) is not even -- for a kind of generic walk cycle, it probably should have pretty much a linear Z-translation, else he looks like he's moving sort of twitchy, moving forward in fits and starts.

markovicd
08-16-2005, 01:13 PM
i will post side view when i come back from outside... in 2 hours... or 3... ! grrr wanna come hooome :)

markovicd
08-16-2005, 07:13 PM
update! ... + camera from side :thumbsup::bounce:

mrballwalking4 (http://rapidshare.de/files/4046754/dar.avi.html)

pollywoggles
08-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Cool. Ok, so for a generic walk cycle here are a few suggestions.

echoing what other's have said, that foot slippage is really killing the walk. When that front heel comes down, I wouldn't expect any front or backward translation of that foot, just lock it down until the weight of the body has passed over it and it is being lifted for the next step.

Frame 1. the Y-rotation of the hips looks odd to me. It looks opposite to what I would expect, they probably should be rotated toward the front leg (not away from it). Try walking, you'll notice that the hips Y-rotation favor the front leg.

Frame 1. to really sell the weight on the front foot in the next frames (when it goes bent), it helps to have the front leg as straight as you can possibly get it for that contrast.

The Z-translation of the hips, for a generic-type walk cycle should pretty much be linear. In your graph editor, I'd take out all the keys, except two, one at the very beginning (at 0), and the other one up to the end of the cycle (frame 61?)

Right now, along with the foot slippage, that hecktic forward motion that is really destroying the cycle.

markovicd
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
up Frame 1. the Y-rotation of the hips looks odd to me...

yes u are right... i did it wrong... :( , generaly i saw this while i was walking home... ( on bus station people stared at me, while i did slow motion of my walk... :) ... and when i came home i googled and saw this tut
http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/animation/character_animation/walking/images/walkin8.jpg
Frame 1. to really sell the weight on the front foot in the next frames (when it goes bent), it helps to have the front leg as straight as you can possibly get it for that contrast.

fixing. . .

The Z-translation of the hips, for a generic-type walk cycle should pretty much be linear. In your graph editor, I'd take out all the keys, except two, one at the very beginning (at 0), and the other one up to the end of the cycle (frame 61?)

ok here is the preview of my mrball walking without stops :)... just linear... i don`t know it looks so odd to me... when he is moving without any "stops"... don`t know maybe it is just me ...

/edit ... it doesn`t look that strange any more when i fixed everything /edit

i will post it... just doing something in the moment

here is the new version ...
mrballwalking5 (http://rapidshare.de/files/4111536/ball2.avi.html)

stewartjones
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Just as a suggestion, maybe do this exercise on paper?

I think what is holding you back most is the software. If you get an awesome 2D walk cycle it will be easier for you to understand the stuff that just doesn't look right on this 3D cycle you have.

It seems to me like you're letting the computer do just about all of the in-betweens, and your main keys are not perfect just yet.

For me, there are some fundamentals missing that would really help this animation along a lot.

-Stu

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.