PDA

View Full Version : Rock craft

Matellis
08-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey this is just a simple sketch I am doing while I do my other painting .I just started it , about 20 mins of work so far. If anyone has any crits I would love to hear them!!

lvyouyou
08-14-2005, 03:02 PM
it is so cool
i can't wait to see the finish work
the color is so beautiful and the scene is widen
i think it will be a long time job:sad:

Matellis
08-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah I think it will be a long time.I just started it so I think I will add more elementes to it , but I am not really sure yet!! hehe

Erikoinen
08-15-2005, 08:11 AM
It's in it's early stages, yea, but looks promising.. You should make more variation to the height of the ground. Like hills here and there, mountains, cliffs, trees, etc. Maybe some ruins some where there?

The color palette is only with one color tone? It needs to be changed if you weren't going for it. :)

Matellis
08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Ok so I added a bit more detail to it now but I will take your suggestion and add some other colors because i agree with you , so I am trying to decide what color or colors would fit best . Keep the crits coming! I will leave this painting alone for a few days thou so i can work on my animation , its in the wip animation section if anyone wants to check it out:)

snake08
08-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah... looking good, keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Matellis
08-17-2005, 04:06 AM
Ok so I have added more detail , started a town by the explosion but I dont really like how it looks so some changes I think will have to be made.

remcv8
08-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Nice Pic!!! I love your lighting and shadow.
Can't really critique it because it seems to be a really right brain piece. Love to see it evolve though!!!

Matellis
08-17-2005, 08:25 AM
So I have added detail into the sky as well I added more people in the forground to make you feel the sadness that people are going through, I am basing this idea on the bombing that were going on in Afganistan a while back , but I want to show the native people and what they went through , I hope I can accomplish this , Crits are most welcome!

Matellis
08-17-2005, 09:29 AM
I just changed the levels in the pic , I like how it turned out but I have a question for you guys , since the change is the explosion blast to bright??? please help me!! ;)

littlepixel
08-18-2005, 11:23 AM
How do you create these paintings? do you have an eye open for using them as mattes in motion pictures? are there elements you're supposed to omit and/or include depending on the uses? I always picture adding CG elements, but how would it be done? I think it's important to preserve the layers in your work, so that it can be applied to a moving picture more easily.

Matellis
08-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Well usually when I start painting I dont have a set idea. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I love painting so when i get home I open up photoshop and if I have an idea I thought of that day I will do that but if i dont I will just start doodling until i see something in it I like or an idea that came to my head while doodling. But keep in mind this is just for single painting. Not when I am trying to actually make a series of pics , or a story board. Sometimes I will just start writing a short story and then make that into a painting or sketch. Maybe I will post one of my doodles in here for you so you get a better idea of what I am talking about :thumbsup:
Well one of my future goals is to be a matte painter. But I am no where near the skill level .Right now I am just trying out a lot of different stuff. I will work on a painting for a few hours then maybe go to the other painting im working on "girl in blanket" and I am also learning maya ( i just posted my first walk cycle and about to lift in the wip animation section "walk over there and pick that up") and zbrush. Next week I will start working on my after effects skills aswell.So I can put a demo reel together so I can start looking for an internship!! But matte painting and concept art I think is what my true passion is. The one thing I like about working in a kitchen right now is that when I get home I start crackin at my art cuz I hate the kitchen, so that helps a lot for me to work on my portfolio.
And yes I always make sure I save my pdf files , I hope everyone does that to tell you the truth. I think its really the only way to show a work is really yours since with digital there is no original peice like painting on a canvas. So always save the files for that reason and if you ever want to play with it in other programs or just to touch it up.
Thanks for the interest in my work and the questions!

Matellis
08-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Hey everyone , I added some more detail to this , I was working on it the same time as my other one so I thought I would update this one as well , I think I am close to being done because I am running out of ideas for stuff to add!!! crits are most welcome

zombiehellmonkey
08-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I like the light & dark contrast of the image, it definitely adds a certain dynamic crispness to the image, and the motion blur of the flying craft adds another level of contrast to the clarity of the rest of the picture.

I wish more people would work with the 'automatic writing' style of drawing, where the picture creates itself, rather than a preconceived composition. It seems to create a more interesting collection of elements and the narrative is clearly visible.

This is different from alot of 'generic' work out there at the moment. A very fresh approach and great painting style.

Keep up the good work!!

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2005, 07:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.