PDA

View Full Version : VFX - Opening in ground

stevecullum
08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
This is my second attempt at creating a hole that appears in the ground. There are still some errors to iron out, but I hope I got the basics about right. Any feedback welcome!

www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole2.mov (http://www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole2.mov)

anibal187
08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
The shaking of the camera doesn't look realistic.
The smoke it's kinda soft, but its behavior look great. Specially if the hole it's not that deep. If it is, then less smoke should come out.
The hole looks good. How did you do it, directly on your compositing package or incorparated some 3d on it?

stevecullum
08-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I have been experimenting a little with the camera shake, its difficult to find the right level, but I think somewhere between the first attempt and second attempt might just do it!

Point taken with regard to the hole depth - something I hadn't even considered, so when I do the 'real' animation work, I 'll bare this in mind.

As for the hole, I simply painted it on in PS having established where the hole was etc..
I found a photo of a hole in the ground off the internet and used it as a basis for this one.

The only thing composited was the dust/smoke.

plug3
08-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Looks good.

I think you should add smoke (dust) right when and where the crack appears. It looks very clean now.

anibal187
08-15-2005, 01:26 AM
:thumbsup: Great, be sure of posting the "real" animation when it's done.
There's this article I read on Computer arts to simulate a hand shaking shot.
Basically you track a point on a hand shot and then import the data to your static shot.
That would do it, and it's faster than animating "by hand".

bzudo
08-15-2005, 04:18 AM
i concur with everything said above. i think having fault lines break open the ground from the hole's origin would sell it more. but the smoke looks good.

hiphopcr
08-15-2005, 11:56 PM
That looks pretty nice, is the smoke from trapcode particular? To get the shake, take your camcorder and record a dot on the wall (or anything easily trackable) by hand. Track it and use that info for your shot, it'll be as if you were holding the camera when the hole broke.

Ian Jones
08-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Some things I think need to be added... a bit of ground moving up / down a little so the surface distorts a bit before the hole appears. Some rocks and debris falling down in the rest of the scene would help sell the believeability of the whole effect too. I hope that helps.

stevecullum
08-16-2005, 01:41 PM
is the smoke from trapcode particular?

Thank's for all your helpfull comments guys.

I used a demo version of particular to quickly work up the effect I liked, I then recreated the motion and look in Lightwave, using hypervoxels and three emmiters. It's pretty close to the trapcode effect, which I might buy and use when I do the full animation - renders a whole lot quicker!

I've actually got to add fire into the equation. This was just a test to get look and feel of hole forming in the ground. The full thing is a demon arrival sequence, where fire errupts from cracks and then the hole falls in, like the fires from hell had burned through the ground, before the top layer finally gives way.

Then out pops a demon. - I'll post it up when finished, but I've got to tune the fire first!

Gangstashers
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Hey man i have been trieng to do the same thing for a while, how did you do this?! Can u explain me how u make cracks in the ground?! i know composeting! but i stil dont know how you guyes make cracks :S...

stevecullum
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
What software are you using?

The way I did it was to create some geometry for the ground and hole, break the hole into pieces, took it into layout and applied a front projection image to the geometry. The cracking I simulated by adding a displacement map to the geometry and saved the result as an endomorph. I don't think it was obvious enough tho, so next time I will make the displacement bigger.

Good luck and be sure to post up your examples!

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.