PDA

View Full Version : Weight maps not helping...

claws_33
08-14-2005, 03:28 AM
I made the rig for my character in 7.5 and instead of just moving the hind leg, the bones moved the stomach thats near it too (its a quadruped). I added weight maps to the leg, but it seems to not have helped at all. the deformation still includes as much as it did before. i also multiplied the strength of the weight map but it still doesn't work at all. How can i fix it please?

Thanks for helping^_^

T4D
08-14-2005, 07:03 AM
first thing check your bones have the right weight map assigned to them

next post a pic so we can see what's going on :thumbsup:

claws_33
08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
first thing check your bones have the right weight map assigned to them

next post a pic so we can see what's going on :thumbsup:

The weight maps are correct. It works slightly better with the weight maps but not very much..and of course you're right about a picture>_< Hopefully this is a helpful one. i moved the left leg and the stomach moved with it. the right side is what the belly should look like.http://www.csupomona.edu/~egkopin/dragon_issue.jpg

T4D
08-15-2005, 12:55 AM
try adding a weightmaps for the belly to keep it in position ?

Bonzodogboy
08-15-2005, 02:25 AM
I agree with T4D.
But I have another suggestion to add.
Have you assigned the weightmaps to the bones in Modeller or Layout?
I found that I would get very weird results if I assigned the weightmaps in Layout after converting the bines to skelegons.
But the weight map in the belly would definatley solve most issues from what I can see. :thumbsup:

ranhell
08-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Is your deform mesh set to last.......:)

Nemoid
08-15-2005, 07:13 AM
u can also check if bones are weight map only or, in the opposite case, limit the influence zone of the bone. also, in complex joint it's sometimes adviceable using for legs separate bones from the hips.

pooby
08-15-2005, 08:34 AM
The way bone weight maps affect a mesh is. (in standard mode.. I do not reccommend using weightmaps only)

No weight maps on bone = bone affects everything (even vertices that fall within another weightmapped area such as a leg)

Weightmap on bone = Bone only affects weightmap area, nothing else. (but as said above, The vertices within your weightmap are affected by all bones that do not exclude it)

As far as I can see from your picture..all the bones on the leg cannot fully exclude the belly from their influence, otherwise all I know about weightmapping is wrong.

claws_33
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
I do have a weightmap for the belly, and i also have it set to last. is there a way to change the mesh that would fix it perhaps? or maybe if i re did the bones and moved it more outward from the stomach, in the farthest part of the leg? thanks for all your suggestions everyone. ill try some of the things, but i'm probably just messing it up more by trying to fix it^_^

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.