PDA

View Full Version : propagating VTX info to target blendshapes

zin64
08-14-2005, 03:55 AM
Hi all,
I have tried the the new Maya 7 propagate tool that allows topology changes from base shape to target shapes. Such as adding extra edges, or adding extra faces and extrude them. However, if I simply move the vertices on base shape, such as making the nose longer, the propagation tool does not seem to take VTX changes into account. Is there a way that, for example, making the nose of the base shape longer, and the changes will propage to all target shapes?

Thanks in advance...

Zin

macaroniKazoo
08-15-2005, 01:25 AM
i haven't used maya7, but i suspect they're just using a script to do the blendshape topology propagation. in which case, try reordering the deformers so that the tweak node comes AFTER the blendshape node. this way any vert tweaks you do to the base will be considered post-blend history.

if you don't know how to do that, right click your object, go to Inputs->All Inputs... then middle click drag the tweak deformer to be above the blendshape deformer.

zinzin
08-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I got pretty much the same result.
what I did before is make a correct shape, get everything modified properly, then put it on top of the facial blendshapes blendshape node.keep it always on 1.
it's a kind of working, but dunno if it is working for game development.

if maya7 doesn't support this basic function, I dont know whats the point to put it in...
did I use it wrongly? can someone give a hint?

macaroniKazoo
08-16-2005, 02:39 AM
I have a script called zooReblender (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/download/zooReblender.mel) which works. it propagates not only topology changes but also vert tweaks IF you reorder the tweak node to be after the blendshape node. the cool thing is, is that this script works in maya 6.5, 6.0, 5.0 and even 4.5 for those still in the dark ages. :)

zinzin
08-16-2005, 02:49 AM
that's cool mate!
I wil try it out!
thanx!

GatorNic
09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Wow thats a great script! Thanks for the link macaroniKazoo, exactly what I needed. :thumbsup:

Really wierd why alias would implement the bake topology with adding geometry, but not with tweaking existing verts. Such a necessary aspect IMO.

Besides I noticed when using the new alias tool....if you undo out of it will bring back the original shape node, but also leave the tweak shape node in the geometry. Kinda annoying cause ya have to go in and manually delete the unwanted shape node.

I think I will stick with the script,heh!

GatorNic
09-14-2005, 12:29 AM
i haven't used maya7, but i suspect they're just using a script to do the blendshape topology propagation. in which case, try reordering the deformers so that the tweak node comes AFTER the blendshape node. this way any vert tweaks you do to the base will be considered post-blend history.

if you don't know how to do that, right click your object, go to Inputs->All Inputs... then middle click drag the tweak deformer to be above the blendshape deformer.

You should put this bit of info in the comments of your script.

I was using the script again today and I forgot that you had to do the reorder first. I kept reading the the script usage comments and couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't working till I came back and read this thread.

Again though...great script, a real life-saver. :bowdown: Oh....and it does work in 7.0.

ietra
09-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I have a script called zooReblender (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/download/zooReblender.mel) which works. it propagates not only topology changes but also vert tweaks IF you reorder the tweak node to be after the blendshape node. the cool thing is, is that this script works in maya 6.5, 6.0, 5.0 and even 4.5 for those still in the dark ages. :)

Once again, Mac saves the day! Thanks, dude!

I had the same misconception w/Maya 7's "bake topology to targets" -- what it does is let you do stuff like delete and re-route edges on your base shape, extrude faces, etc. and propogate those changes to your targets. Which I can see being pretty useful. However, the Maya help shows what looks like *sculpting* tweaks to a base mesh, which led me (and every other reasonable person) to assume that meant you could tweak verts on your base mesh and propagate that. Which it can't.

But Mac's script does both -- shweet.

Beanmaster
11-03-2005, 03:28 AM
"Bake topology to targets" in Maya 7 works fine for me. You have to reorder the inputs as said before then it will also propagate vertex movements made on the base mesh.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 03:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.