PDA

View Full Version : spline question (max)

harryhood
08-13-2005, 11:44 PM
if i create a closed spline, in this case the outline of a guitar, is there a way i can extrude the shape? can i convert the spline in any way where i can work with it as polygons? i haven't used splines very much so any help would be great.

harryhood
08-14-2005, 12:11 AM
what if i made a path the thickness of the guitar, and lofted the shape of the spline i made? the reason i want to use a spline by the way is to make the body nice and smooth along the edge. i already modeled one using the box modeling technique, but had troubles with smooth modifiers to round the edges.

Junpei
08-20-2005, 04:23 AM
there are quite a few ways about poly modeling from splines but you can start by simply adding an extrude modifier to the stack and make sure cap ends is on, i highly suggest setting the steps to 0 on your spline however because if you plan to work with edit mesh you want to keep things clean. to edit polygons you can add an edit mesh modifier ontop of the stack (you probably want to do this instead of converting to mesh because then you lose the ability to edit the spline and extrude modifiers). if you plan on using a meshsmooth you will probably want to make those end caps quads etc. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2005, 04:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.