PDA

View Full Version : Gigerism, WIP.

StylusMonkey
08-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I decided to do another piece dedicated to Giger, one of my early influences.

Using this piece to practice painter - really getting the feel for it now. 1 hour or so, no references.

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/Gigerism1.jpg

Rebeccak
08-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Schweet! :) Nice eye hook. ;) Hey, where's your posts for the Open Figure Drawing Workshop???

~Rebeccak

StylusMonkey
08-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks R, I'll post in it sometime when I'm not too busy.

Altered the hue and color balance then pumped up the contrast and altered the canvas size for print. About 6 or so hours more to go.

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/Gigerism2.jpg

StylusMonkey
08-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Overall layout with another hue shift + sharpening of features and added impasto. Also increased the constrast and brightness because some people find it hard to see on their monitors.

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/Gigerism3.jpg

StylusMonkey
08-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Close up of the detail.

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/Gigerism3Close.jpg

StylusMonkey
08-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Decided to call it an end for now, I may revisit it in the future, but thats all th time I have this weekend plus i don't really want to inundate it with details.

Mainly beefed up some shadow work, altered the hue to a more earthy tone and added a bit more impasto. Then brought it into photoshop to dirty up a little with the canvas texture to give it a physical look. Pretty happy with it, all in all took around 4-5 hours.

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/SirenFinalSmall.jpg

Larger:

http://www.users.on.net/~bobbyeow/Art/SirenFinal.jpg

Rebeccak
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
mm,

This is really cool ~ my main quibble is that I read the face as one straight plane, without enough feeling of roundness / light to dark shift that I find so appealing in black/white photography and such. Though the face is the focal point of the picture, I find the back of the head / detailing much more interesting due to this flattening out / washed out facial area. I think even if you did something as simple as darkening the background behind the upper part of the face, attracting more attention there, it would work better. I think the bkgrd behind the lower part of the face should be darkened a bit too ~ tho not to as great an extent, or you will still get the same flattening effect ~ also the chin seems a bit weak for what I'm sure you are trying to express as a powerful character.

But, great work in general. Just think it needs some adjustments to bring it up to par.

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

remcv8
08-14-2005, 10:16 PM
This is amazing!!! Even if it was one of your sepia tone sketches, I would be blown away!!!

I love all of your work!!!

StylusMonkey
08-15-2005, 03:19 AM
mm,

This is really cool ~ my main quibble is that I read the face as one straight plane, without enough feeling of roundness / light to dark shift that I find so appealing in black/white photography and such. Though the face is the focal point of the picture, I find the back of the head / detailing much more interesting due to this flattening out / washed out facial area. I think even if you did something as simple as darkening the background behind the upper part of the face, attracting more attention there, it would work better. I think the bkgrd behind the lower part of the face should be darkened a bit too ~ tho not to as great an extent, or you will still get the same flattening effect ~ also the chin seems a bit weak for what I'm sure you are trying to express as a powerful character.

But, great work in general. Just think it needs some adjustments to bring it up to par.

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Thanks for the crits R, but that was the look I was going for, the psuedo 3dism, kinda like a wall relief, and not true 3d. A lot of Giger's work is like this with a very distinctly orthorgraphic view its one of his trademarks. True realism and tangibility is not the goal of every artist especially in this case of style emulation - go have a look at a fiew of his profile designs.

Also, this character isn't supposed to be a strong character, strong characters are a little too cliche and does not fit within the Giger mold, its supposed to convey a sense of unassured wonderment - although humanistic in nature, I wanted the viewer to be unsure of whether it was a friend or foe, like in the animal kingdome seeing a lion or hyena sleeping...if it awakes will it attack or not? Like in nature, nothing is good or bad, it just is.

I feel its a human trait to place everything in a neat role with a certain archetype character, giger's work represents a break from this and I ws happy to indulge in it. Representing characters in a way that does not lean either way regardless of the morbid renderings.

Rebeccak
08-15-2005, 03:24 AM
Hmm, mm, sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. :) Cool beans! I still think, purely from a visual perspective, that it lacks just a bit of final punch that would really make this piece stand out. I still think it's the low contrast between the face and the background immediately behind, but that's purely a judgement call on my part. :) Either way, it's a really great piece, and I enjoy seeing your work! :)

~Rebeccak

StylusMonkey
08-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks R, and in case its not obvious I'm greatful for your crits either way.

m

Rebeccak
08-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Hey, mm, thanks! :) It would be awesome to see your entire portfolio as a whole ~ when will your website be up?

~Rebeccak

StylusMonkey
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey, mm, thanks! :) It would be awesome to see your entire portfolio as a whole ~ when will your website be up?

~Rebeccak

heh, when i have some time - I'm a serial perfectionist, so I regularly delete a lot of my older stuff and throw a lot of my old things away. I only seriously started working at my art about a year ago, before that it was pretty standard line work.

So a lot of my work is done for a video game company and is tied to th confidentiality stuff, so cant release it for now.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 09:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.