PDA

View Full Version : Requesting help on patching splines - .lwo attached...

MiWi Graphics
08-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

So I was working on the same tut that I posted about the other day and got stuck again - go figure! Anyway, for those not familiar, I'm working on Peter Ratner's "3-D Human Modeling and Animation". I am working on the Spline Knife tut in the front of the book. I thought I finished with the spline cage and was trying to get the spline curves converted to polygons, but cannot seem to get it to work. If anybody could take a look at this object, see if I messed up the splines somehow and give me some hints of how to fix THAT, or try to convert to polys and give me some pointers on that? As usual, the help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk as I am looking forward to experimenting with surfacing once I'm finished.

Later - Mike

PSR
08-13-2005, 08:40 PM
I've had a look at your spline cage of the knife, and you've laid the splines out well.

But Lightwave is quite fussy about spline patching, so you have to follow a few rules. Firstly patches can only be made by a border of 3 or 4 spline curves. And the points of the curves that join onto each other, must be welded.

To get good patches on the blade of your knife, I had to split some of your curves first. So that it was very clear to LW where the patch should be.

The order that you select the curves, especially patches that use 3 curves will effect the way the patch turns out.

MiWi Graphics
08-13-2005, 09:16 PM
I wasn't able to split that spline curve - did you get that to work? And what is that anomaly at the tip? I really appreciate the advice on this. I've posted here, newtek forums, and at SpinQuad, but I'd love to see somebody patch this whole thing - just to see that I'm not (or to prove that I'm THAT much of a noob). I've been able to patch the front/top and one side of the blade tip, but when I went to do the last side of the tip - I could not get it to work. If the spline cage is good, I'd really appreciate if somebody could post their completed patched knife. This is REALLY bothering me for some reason. I wanna get all that I can out of this tut - and I won't move on to the next tut until I finish this one. I REALLY appreciate the screen grab! Thank you again for the help - it's great to know that I can turn to these forums for help.

Have a great weekend - Mike

P.S. Time to go out and so some yard work - how boring compared to doing 3D (maybe I'll blow it off!)

MiWi Graphics
08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Think I've got the blade patched - thank you very much for the help. It took me a bit to figure everything out. I had to flip some polys to get the patches to work - but am thinking that had to do with how I selected the curves. I'm curious, though, what are the poly anomolies at the tip (top most polys - top and side) and back bottom two polys? I'm attaching the lwo with current progress. I just wanna know if that poly thing is normal or not. I'll tackle the rest of the patches later - for now I have to go do some yard work not that it is cooling off. Thank you very much for the help!!!

Later - Mike

PSR
08-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Oh right, I think it's just an open GL glitch, it sometimes happens making polys from points as well.

If you have got the blade sorted, you should be ok with the rest. Just be systematic, make sure no more than 4 splines per patch are selected, and that they are joined up correctly.

There's a good intro to spline patch modelling and other useful free tutorials here:

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/

Also highly recommend Larry Schultz's Introduction to Spline Modelling DVD

MiWi Graphics
08-13-2005, 11:20 PM
I don't think that it is an Open GL glitch - as it shows up in the render - DOH. Guess I'll have to go back and try to figure out what I did wrong with the tip of the knife.

Thanks again for the tips - Mike

PSR
08-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Maybe not. Here's the whole thing all done with your spline cage. Looks better this time round.

MiWi Graphics
08-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Maybe not. Here's the whole thing all done with your spline cage. Looks better this time round.

How did you get around the funny stuff going on with the tip? That looks great btw. Your mesh looks a little more dense than mine, but that's killer.

Thanks!

Later - Mike

P.S. I'd really like to know what the deal is with this polys on the tip and the butt of the handle.

MiWi Graphics
08-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Got it - a guy on the Newtek forum mentioned that I needed to merge points and that fixed what I was seeing.

Later - Mike

MiWi Graphics
08-14-2005, 01:15 AM

I'm getting some funny results with the hilt and the handle - you do anything special with these? In what order did you do the patching? Sorry to be a bother - tell you what, though, once I get this - I'll never have a problem with it again LOL

Thanks in advance (again) - Mike

telamon
08-14-2005, 01:44 AM
IMHO Box modelling is more adapted than spline patching for such a job. Create a box and extrude (smooth shift / bevel or extender) faces, tweak points according to a good reference pic you used to lay out your splines, and that should work great.

Another thing you should do is to buy one or two good reference books like Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave or Tim Albee's reference book in order to become familiar with the basic tools.

MiWi Graphics
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
I have the Inside LW 7 and 8 Books - but trying to perform the tutorials as written in the Peter Ratner book that I got. None of those books really go into the little details required to pull off the patching. Thank you for the advice, though! I'm always eager to take the advice of all of you that are more experienced than I ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend - Mike

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.