PDA

View Full Version : WIP Life Painting (Nudity)

D4ng3rmouse
08-13-2005, 03:48 PM
First I hope this is the right place to post this. Ive just recently got back into drawing after finding the new anatomy and fig art forum and ive done a couple of sketches that ive posted in there. Found the tuts by rebeccak excellent help as well so thanks for that. Anyway ive been sketching a way for a while now and i thought i'd try my hand at a digital painting of one of my sketches. Its the first time ive really tried to do a digital painting though so im posting where i have got to at the moment and was hoping people could give me some crits on how im doing or if there is anything that looks very very wrong. Oh im using a photo reference for this as well.

Anyway this is the sketch
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/scan1.jpg

and this is where im up to at the mo with the painting. Just trying to figure out skin colours and trying to make sure all the proportions look right before i get in and start doing to many fine details.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/figure_painting1.jpg

All comments and crits and welcome :)

tuzz
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi,
i like it, really nice start with skin colors! Dont know much bout proportions but i noticed her hair is falling in a strange way. If its that long and she doesnt have anything to hold it together behind her head than it should fall on the sides of her face. Hope you understand what i mean. Its dificult to express. perhaps i show you what i mean when i get home. and probably you will take care of that when detailing your picture, as you said you first wanna lay down the proportions :)

whatever. nice work ;)
t.

PerfectBlue
08-13-2005, 06:31 PM
One thing that jumps out to me is the age of the subject. Her hips and face represent her as a young girl of maybe 12-13. But her breasts are that of a fully developed women.

D4ng3rmouse
08-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey thanks for the comments guys.

Tuzz - Yeah i think i know what you mean about the hair and ill will tey and tackle that when i come to doing the hair. Not sure how long that will be though as i tend to work very very slowly :S.

Lord Blue - Yeah ive been wondering how old she looks as well. In the reference im using she is quite skim and does look quite young but she is definatly a young women rather than a young girl. The face as well is quite young looking, do you have any tips on how i could maybe make her look a bit older. Also btw ive seen some of your work around the forum and it looks fantastic, ive especially liked watching your mini battle against Nebezial, I have no idea how u can paint stuff that fast though tis mind boggling :)

At the mo im trying to paint the hands and thus get rid of the clubs she has for hands at the moment :)
Again thanks for the crits and comments.

PerfectBlue
08-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Hehe, thanks. I am surprised I stick out of the crowd at all here. You'll be able to paint as fast as I do (or faster!) with practice. No secret to that. ;)

Since i haven't seen your reference, I can't really show you how to adjust it to look more like her. I can, however, help you make the character look older, pretty easily! The two areas which are most defining as a child's are the cheeks and hip/buttocks.

One clear characteristic with youth is a very rounded form, almost pudgy, without any wrinkles. The cheeks on your girl have this quality to them. You can easily add age to her by defining her cheek bones a bit more. By doing so you reduce the fat in the face, making the subject older.

And the other area which screams youth is the hips/buttocks. Most women don't 'fill out' until their late teens, and for some; early twenties. Your girl needs more meat on her rear, so to speak. Also, to emphasize her hip size, make sure your addition runs up the back reaching the top of her hip bone (the top is about an inch below the belly button line). By doing this, the girl won't look like she simply has a big butt, but will look like she has fuller legs.

(An interesting fact: a women's body 'fills out' in this area for one reason alone; to help feed an unborn child. The bigger the hips on the women, the stronger the hormones and the easier it is for her to have children. This really is represented well in women with thin waists, but larger hips. So typically, a women with fuller hips can be viewed as more fertile and mature. Just keep in mind, a women's hips are almost always proportional to a her breasts. Hence where the 'hourglass' figure originated. Try to keep her balanced and not top heavy, or bottom heavy. That gives an unnatural appearance which you see in women who get plastic surgery.)

Lastly, one other thing which makes me believe the girl is young is her expression. This, however, is not something you should change necessarily, but it is just what i think of when i see her face. She seems confused, like she is trying to understand something but can't. This look is typical to children who have no life experiences yet, and are struck with a difficult situation and are simply 'lost' in the complexity. It also conveys innocence, something you might want to keep! If you emphasize on it and the scene as a whole, you can make this a very evocative piece.

Hope that helps. I better get back to work. :D

tuzz
08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
@Lord Blue:
That was a really good post with lots of convincing tips :) One can clearly see that you know what your talking about!

Keep working on this, i'd like to see the final result :thumbsup:

t.

D4ng3rmouse
08-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey thanks Lord Blue, I get what u mean about the hips\buttocks area and ill have a go a filling them out a bit tommorow. At the moment the hands are driving me crazy :D but im sure ill get there eventually. I'm enjoying learning all this stuff anyway and hopefully it will help to improve the end result. Ta for the help.

D4ng3rmouse
08-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Right jut a quick update today, not been able to do to much cause my eyes starting to hurt a bit from looking monitor for too long :eek:. Anyway i've had a go at improving the thigh/buttock area that lord blue was talking about. Not sure if its enough at the moment and im not sure if the buttock is a bit to low as well. Apart from that the thigh is also now a bit thicker than it was as well. I've also started attempting the hands which I am finding quite frustrating. They either look like sausages or sticks with colours on them :shrug: lol. Think im starting to make a bit of progress though. Anyway any thoughts or crits again are welcome again. Ta

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/NEW_COLORING20_HANDScopy.jpg

Erikoinen
08-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Hehe, I've tried paingting the exact same girl from domai.com :) Her butt seems to be too low, as you said. You should work on skintones, they doesn't seem to match everywhere and on some places they to be too pale. The mid-color should be the most saturated colour when shading humen, if you didn't know?

But the pose looks good and the lighting seems to be good too.

D4ng3rmouse
08-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey Erikoinen, yeah i found the photo ref from a link in a concept forum i think but out of all of them this one seemed to be the nicest to attempt to me. Quite peacefull and nice colours. I will have a go trying to even up the skin tones liek you said. I had started to notice as well that the colours seem to drift from place to place and yeah ive just starting reading somewhere about the fact mid tones are more saturated so ill try and do something about that too. Im finding it good to learn all this stuff though because it was meant to help me to understand skin better for when i try and make it in 3d for my major project this year at uni. I figured if i can understand it in principle and create it in 2d, ive got a better cahnce of doing it in 3d :). Anyway thanks for the comments and ill try and apply what your said. Btw im liking your goblin house painting your doing at the moment. Great lighting :)

D4ng3rmouse
08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Right not had to much time to work on this yesterday so I've been doing some today. Working on the skin tones and the contrast between areas as well. It was a bit washed out and pale before like was pointed out so ive tried tackling that. The main areas ive worked on with that is the closest leg and thigh and ive been working up from there so the top most part of the body I haven't done yet. The arms ive changed a little but not to much and im going to try and get back to them soon. Anyway let me know if i seem to be going in the right direction or if anyone else has any other comments. Ta

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/darker.jpg

D4ng3rmouse
08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Right just a quick update. Ive worked a little bit more on the skin although it still needs more work. Started to add some hair which at the mo to me just doesn't feel right. Just doesn't seem connected to the head in the right way. I think it could be because the lighting on it oesn't match up with how the body is being lit or something. The grass in the foreground is just a quick 5min job as well just so i could see how it might look. Think this will be the last update for a while, im gonna go back to sketching for a little while. I think ive over saturated myself trying to do this now and got to the point that im not enjoying it as much as i was. I've learnt about the skin though which was the main goal and i will come back to it most probably but just not for a while. Well anyway heres what ive got up to. Any crits comments are welcome as always.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Gandalf82/NEW_COLORING42_FACE_HAIRcopy.jpg

BMunchausen
08-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi there!

Looking good but two things that stand out to me - the head looks too big in general and the torso too long. I think mostly though, the head is the problem. I'd size it down a little because I keep thinking of her tipping right over from the weight. ;)

That could be contributing too, to her looking like a child since in children, the head takes up a large portion of the overal body.

illblood
08-19-2005, 12:25 AM
smooth the face!
Make the hair more fluffy!

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 12:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.