PDA

View Full Version : VFX help!

stevecullum
08-13-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm trying to create a look of a hole appearing in the ground. Eventually this will be a lot bigger, but for now I'm just doing a few tests to get the overall look about right.

I don't think it's too convincing at the moment, but not sure why, so if any of you VFX wizards could give me a few pointers then it would be appreciated!

www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole.mov (http://www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole.mov)

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 03:50 PM
That camera shake is wicked, I'd suggest toning it down a bit. :)

The dust that comes up from the hole doesn't seem to settle properly, and the hole itself is not integrated with the ground very well in the sense that there aren't any cracks or different levels of the edges at slightly different elevations.

the movie was small, but as far as I can tell the lighting and colors seemed to match pretty well.

I'd suggest to mainly try and break up the circular shape just around the outside of the hole, that'll help a lot.

telamon
08-13-2005, 03:59 PM
the hole is too circular IMHO.

Concerning the hole creation, the speed is normally rather exponential... It is long before an actual crack appears, then the blocks tilt a little bit and the stress progressively increases the crack size... Eventually, everything should collapse quickly with an important dust suspension which should look like an explosion.

Add a displacement of the road to show that not only the hole was generated by the Earthquake (if you simulate an earthquake).

Finally, one thing which is to be tuned is what takes place in the environment of the hole. Make a few stones rolling from the left to the right for instance. And make the environment move a bit contrary to the camera at a different shaking velocity.

BTW I agree with Jarrede, the camera shake is probably to be toned a little bit.

stevecullum
08-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the response guys, I'll give it another go...

stevecullum
08-14-2005, 02:33 AM
This is my second attempt, its still a bit rough, but maybe its an improvement?

www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole2.mov (http://www.cullumgraphics.com/tests/Hole2.mov)

HowardM
08-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Looks good! :)
I think the HVs need to move faster and higher, and expand as they slow down....

Are you using HardFX?

stevecullum
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Cheers :)

This is indeed a Hard FX driven shot. I've had a nightmare with the particles though - I messed with the settings that I used on this, got it looking sweet, went to save and then LW crashed killing the whole file!! - Should have saved with a different name too - damn it I always gotta learn the hard way:rolleyes:

I'm moving on to the 'real' thing now as this was only a test. Will post the results.

BTW I looked at the work you did on HV fire - pretty hot stuff - I feel sorry for the guitar!

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2005, 01:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.