PDA

View Full Version : Softimage 3.0 videos at the new softimage site.

SheepFactory
11-01-2002, 06:21 AM
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v3/NFVT/

ver 3.0 looks like the sweetest app out there.

wmendez
11-01-2002, 06:42 AM
It sure is!!!

Nando
11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Am I the only one getting a media player error about not enough bandwith?

Right click save target as doesnt work either?

:hmm:

wmendez
11-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Im saving them on my HD with this app http://get.to/SDP

visualboo
11-01-2002, 09:45 PM
Nice collar Will

SheepFactory
11-01-2002, 09:47 PM
How do I use this app to save it?

A|i

wmendez
11-01-2002, 09:52 PM
As the wolf would say "The better to see with my dear "

glad I can help, it may tell you that it can't connect but after 2 or three times it finally goes.

lildragon
11-01-2002, 09:58 PM
very impressive, I may have to give this app another try... ;)

salud

SheepFactory
11-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
very impressive, I may have to give this app another try... ;)

salud

Traitor!!! :p

lildragon
11-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory

AN eye for an eye :p

visualboo
11-01-2002, 10:48 PM
I'm just glad to see soft finally on the up and up. If there wise they'll slam the price.

I know a TON of people that would switch if it wasn't so damn pricey.

wmendez
11-02-2002, 04:31 AM
boo,

You can see what they say about this here:

http://www.xsibase.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=articles;action=display;num=1032872020

Dominique
11-04-2002, 10:33 PM
OK, just read the whole article, all the points, questions and answers and this seems to me a big marketing-war that has nothing to do with the users. And they are wrong at XSI, I do believe a lot of people might buy a package just to have it at home, entering support and forums and a community of users, mailing, exchanging ideas, discussions and all ending up at a barbecue somewhere one day....,

I admit, XSI is great, (I do have the expérience CD and gave it a big try and I'm still very fond of SI), ..., but XSIx' UI ...., they should get back to a 'clearer one', more 'functionnal for the Eye',..., SI was great for that; you just saw those 4 viewports and that colour-changing bar, shematic view and clear F-Curve editor;.., strong points that I'm missing in XSI now.

Currentley I'm MAXing, R5 and it's a wonderfull release, this could have been Maya, LW,..., not XSI (price!!), and really, The package gives me all I need and it ain't those 400-clicks that will make me think and draw and animate faster, you just need to set-up things and think and prepare the work,..., I realy don't lose any time cause of clicking any-more, ..., the time just goes into the creation-process and the better creator you are, the better the work!

Yep there is still a pipeline difference, but what will be bigger and better than ILM and Star-Wars, or Weta and LOR; and what after they finished these trilogies??? (any-one knows another Quest in preparation?? episode 7/8/9 maybe??), ...., might we expect a big lay-off in a near future?? (what did Phil tipped say in that article...)
HDRI and Radiosity will kill a lot of lightning-jobs: quote: "...realistic rendering in less than a minute..."; it took x300 more time a year ago to achieve the same result. Great, Great isn't it!!! (yep, for the boss).

Neither was mentionned China, or India,..., just ask the 2D-animators about South and North Korea, or Eastern-Europe and you might know where companies are buying 3D-packages today and where tomorrows 3D-TV series and films will be modelled and animated.

And where's the fun for a TD if Rigging is automatic!!,
and for an animator if it's more important to know the stock of 500 old animations and 'compositing' them and ajusting it with a couple of sliders INSTEAD OFF having fun acting out a walk cycle, making the whole house laugh and trying to get it on screen!!

My past is WaveFront, SI-2.5/3.51 and MAYA1/2, ..., and I'm preparing the future and I'm very happy to be an artist in the first place, this might be very usefull,..., and I hope people at Pixar and PDI and AARDMAN and BlueSky and Lucas and Miyazaki and all the others just give us a lot more of those great stories and big laughs, either which package they are using.
And all this hopefully will give plenty of people jobs, and it won't surprise me that within here and a couple of years, a whole new graphic package will turn the world upside down (Flash did very well),

Post Scriptum: what is great now: democratisation has led to some lovely and funny independent animations, just watch these, all acting and timing and great story-telling:
http://www.synj.net/anim.htm

markdc
11-05-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v3/NFVT/

Anyone know why I get audio only with media player v9 beta?

visualboo
11-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Use this little free app to save them to your system.
http://sdp.ppona.com

markdc
11-05-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by visualboo
Use this little free app to save them to your system.
http://sdp.ppona.com

I did. Still audio only. I'm able to play everything else I download.

visualboo
11-05-2002, 12:42 AM
Then I have no idea ;)

Mahlon
11-05-2002, 02:14 AM
Same here. Just audio.... Media Player 7.1, Windows 2000. I dunna understand. :hmm:

Mahlon

tauf
11-05-2002, 02:22 AM
Hmm...the 1600x1200 resolution of these clips seems like a bit of an overkill.

Perhaps their bandwidth allocation would have been better spent on a more managable video size (i.e. 800x600) and smoother playback.

Also since they seem to be lagging a bit when it comes to actual market share/usage for XSI it would make more sense for them to make their videos as accessible to the public as possible. (i.e. easily downloadable)

:hmm:

ambient-whisper
11-05-2002, 02:36 AM
same. no visuals.
had 7.1....no go. tried to upgrade to mediaplayer 8....no go..
upgraded to 9 beta....no go. ..went to teh MS site to download the codec pack...no go. divx..no go. upgraded direct x. nope...

why dont they just use a format that everyone has?

whats this secret format that you guys have ( the ones that watched it)

Chris
11-05-2002, 03:03 AM
It played alright here... I just had to install the 'XDUGEF' codec from, now let me see, where did I get that codec from........ ;) LOL J/K

visualboo
11-05-2002, 03:13 AM
HAHAHHAHHAHHAH

ambient-whisper
11-05-2002, 03:20 AM
ya. those damn monks are keeping that damn codec from me.

wmendez
11-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Windows media player 9 win2k running fine here with downloaded versions of videos.

tauf
11-05-2002, 04:18 AM
Videos work fine with this config under WinXP Pro:

Windows Media Player 9 Series

Version: 9.00.00.2799.2800 or 9.00.00.2926

Windows Media Player v7 and up are kinda lame in that they don't do exactly what they say. If you open up one of these clips (1600x1200) and choose View->Video Size->100% they only scale the player window to 100% of screen size, which is incorrect. It should present the video at it's full size even if that size is 10 times your resolution. Luckily you can use the trusty Media Player v6.4, which actually does what it says. Shouldn't new versions of software get better and not worse? Also when upgrading to version 9.00.00.2926 it deleted a desktop shortcut I made to the mplayer2.exe file...kinda devious.

Media Player 6.4:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

Also you can try from the player menu:

Help -> Check for Player Updates...

I think they should've gone with QuickTime or Real.

ambient-whisper
11-05-2002, 04:27 AM
it worked after i downloaded em

doremon313
11-05-2002, 05:14 AM
you would assume with so many complaints about their video, they would do something about the format,... i mean they say they are so good with hear what the customers want, but they cant even reformat a freaken demo video????
dont get me wrong, im a softimage suer, but this video thing really pissed me off

wmendez
11-05-2002, 05:23 AM
webmaster at Softimage stated that there will be downloadable version this week or next.

doremon313
11-05-2002, 06:31 AM
finally, i hate using that download software that they were talking about in this forum, because it seem to stop at certain point, i would have to restart it so i havent gotten down one single video

ambient-whisper
11-05-2002, 06:41 AM
( theres a resume option )

wmendez
11-05-2002, 06:42 AM
indeed there is, and I had to go through the same thing as well all in all I got my files and well worth the trouble :p

markdc
11-05-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by tauf
Videos work fine with this config under WinXP Pro:

Windows Media Player 9 Series

Version: 9.00.00.2799.2800 or 9.00.00.2926

Windows Media Player v7 and up are kinda lame in that they don't do exactly what they say. If you open up one of these clips (1600x1200) and choose View->Video Size->100% they only scale the player window to 100% of screen size, which is incorrect. It should present the video at it's full size even if that size is 10 times your resolution. Luckily you can use the trusty Media Player v6.4, which actually does what it says. Shouldn't new versions of software get better and not worse? Also when upgrading to version 9.00.00.2926 it deleted a desktop shortcut I made to the mplayer2.exe file...kinda devious.

Media Player 6.4:

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe

Also you can try from the player menu:

Help -> Check for Player Updates...

I think they should've gone with QuickTime or Real.

Using C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe worked. Thanks.

Mahlon
11-06-2002, 11:07 PM
Dang, I STILL can't get the video to play. :D :D :D

Even with MediaPlayer2.exe........:D

Mahlon

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.