PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned (goblin's house!)

Erikoinen
08-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Alrite, I wanted to show you this piece I've started on.. I'd like to hear comments and critics, suggestions and how to make it further, ideas.. Everything.

It's about a story of a few goblinhunters that has abandoned their building and then the goblins have found it and made it their house.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teimo/erikoinen/other/goblinhouse-wip1.jpg

Thanks!

Alexandrite
08-13-2005, 06:18 PM
oooh! i just gotta say i LOVE the colours, the little circles of light on the ground and the house, and the purple flowers. makes me think of some adorable goblins living there, though :) and is the prelimiary grass, the Photoshop brush? hehe.

can't wait to see where this goes!

Erikoinen
08-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Yes, thanks Alexandrite! And yes, I thought the goblins could be a nice race but for some reason the humen just don't like them. They're "not normal". I saw these colors in my head before I knew what I'm gonna do with them. I'm quite satisfied with the sketch so far. And hehe yes, it's the Photoshop default grass brush, but that's just for the sketch. I'm gonna make the hay/grass more detailed too as I detail it further. Make some little flowers and plants here and there.

Any ideas if the dark bg needs something in it so it would seem like the bg doesn't end to the wall seen from the building.. ?

Samanthie
08-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I really like the creepy atmosphere you've captured as well as the colors. The lanterns are a very nice touch. I like the bg as it is, there's something about that darkness behind the house that makes it even more eerie to me. Still maybe you could add a hint of tall dry grass or the outline of a gnarled tree or two, or barbed wire fencing. :)

Erikoinen
08-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Umm.. Maybe it's my bad english or something, but I don't get this, Samanthie: "a hint of tall dry grass or the outline of a gnarled tree or two". What do you mean?

But thanks for your comments anyhow. :) And barbed wire could be cool.. Have to think of that.

Samanthie
08-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Erikoinen, What I meant by hint is like just a very faint outline of trees. I can see you do have trees in the background. Fault of my monitor that I couldn't see them yesterday..sorry about that.:) By gnarled I am referring to something twisted or curved..like an old oak tree might be.

Erikoinen
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Ye Samanthie, that's what I was gonna do anyways. :) So that's good hint, I guess. :)
I had a one day break since I was baby sitting (groovy..) and today I think I'm gonna post another update.

Erikoinen
08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Ohrite, update. I'm kind of disappointed how less I can do in such a long time (about 4-5 hours). So here's the result, just pretty much detailed the wall.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teimo/erikoinen/other/goblinhouse-wip2.jpg

D4ng3rmouse
08-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Just wanted to say how nice this seems to be turning out. The lighting is really atmospheric (hope spelling is right) and the texturing of the wood on the house looks amazing, must have taken quite a while to do. I know you said that it has been abandoned and now goblins have moved in, i was just wondering how you are going to suggest this in the peice because at the moment there isn't anything there to suggest that there is anyone living in it apart from the lanterns i guess? Anyway i look forward to seeing how this develops further.

Erikoinen
08-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Well, umm hrm.. I was thinking maybe adding some magical effects inside the house, not well seen tho, so it seems the goblins are inside cooking their spiritual stuff or something. :)
Or maybe the lanterns and the stamped grass that I'm gonna do are enough to tell that there are something living in the house? Maybe I'm gonna do some details to it, like a log pile for their fire making purposes or making new structure.. Advices are very welcome! :)

MarieL
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
This looks fantastic!
The only thing I notice is, I'm missing something at the upper part of the image..maybe like.. a big tree branch could be coming down and framing the area where you want us to look. :)

Erikoinen
08-15-2005, 11:19 AM
MarieL, you're right, it's way too dark for the upper part. I'm definitely going to do something to it so it doesn't look like I just didn't want to paint it. :) Thanks for your kind words.

Erikoinen
08-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Little update, not been so active with this. :/

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teimo/erikoinen/other/goblinhouse-wip3.jpg

Any advices are really welcome!

If someone doesn't know/wants to know how I made those tree barks I've got this lil' image for you (sorry for it being so dark, for some reason when I save as jpg in photoshop it makes the pic like 10% darker, dunno why):

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teimo/erikoinen/other/bark-how-to.jpg

Erikoinen
08-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Love is in the air.. Nanana.

*singing*

Erikoinen
08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Gimme somthin', doods! :rolleyes:

umbrellasky
08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
wow this looks great! I really like the lighting, very atmospheric. Great work!

Squibbit
08-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Love is in the air.. Nanana.

*singing*

lol

i don't see anything goblin in the pic and
lol @ the tree tut, dude , redo it, can't
see almost anything and i just got my
eyes repaired

otherwise very nice start with the cool lights
n stuff :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
08-19-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree with Squib about not seeing anything Goblin about this. Maybe you should start adding small objects and things lying around slightly hidden just to give the feeling that Gblins have been here ;)

Erikoinen
08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Alright, maybe it aint goblin house then? :)

Altho, I was going to do something inside the house, so you could see someone living there. Like, cooking something in a pot or something, with just light highlights so you can recognize it but can't see much details?

enialadam, what kind of things should be lying around? I was thinking about a stack of wood on somewhere in the pic so that would make it say that someone still is using the house?

This is a part too where I need advices on, gimme sum! Thanks. :)

Squibbit
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
well, the lanterns are a pretty good indication that
the place isn't totally abandoned and I don't know
what you could put in the pic that would make
one think of goblins, unless it was the goblins
themselves :shrug:

it would be nice to see something inside the house
i think , try sumthin :)

Erikoinen
08-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Alrite, I'll try something! .. after the weekend, going for a holi-holi-day!

Squibbit, btw, where in Finland do you live? And how old are you? Off-topic and personal, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to. :]

EDIT: Okay, in Helsinki and vuosimallia -72. I wonder what blackout was that not to just check your avatar thingy/profile. :P

Ravendsg
08-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Nice charming piece you have here :)
I like the soft lighting and the vegetation in your piece. Has a very nice feel to it ;)
Something to point out i guess could be just the shadow for the flowers in the foreground? The shadow should be casted towards us, so they should have a outline of light instead of the light still following the direction of the light in relation to the whole picture?

Can't wait to see what you have inside the house! I think an old lady, extremely wrinkled would be nice, hehe or a witch... :P

Raymond

Ego
08-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I love the color scheme., and the lighting. Thanks for the tree bark tut. I sure hope there'll be some goblins later on.

Cyanid
08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
nice start, keep the detailing up! make sure you got a good focus point. Nice colors, maybe add another color element in it, a dark blue sky or somthing like that.
Keep it up, you have a nice technique! :thumbsup:

Fides
08-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I like this, but I think there's way to much ambient light given that its just two lanterns. Looks a little washed out, imo:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/teimo/erikoinen/other/goblinhouse-wip3.jpghttp://home.comcast.net/%7Eelamd/bot69917.jpg

I'd also add some moonlight reflecting off the trees and roofline.

Looks good.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.